Do you expect to count calories the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Once I get to my goal weight, if I go out for the occasional dinner with friends or family, I may not count just cause it's a hassle and I wanna enjoy my night out and treat myself. But for every other day where it's just kinda casual or whatever, then yeah, I plan to for pretty much...ever.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes. for me it seems super easy to slide...if I am not diligent the weight will creep I am sure.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I plan to count for the rest of my life, especially because i plan to spend the next 5-a million years lifting so i can bulk and cut and bulk and cut and get awesome :)
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ive only been counting this year. I think the longer I do it, the more Ill be able to estimate how many calories are in foods and how much a serving should be. I can already do it with a few things. So I doubt Ill be addicted to MFP 10 years from now, haha.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. What I intend to do to maintain my weight after I reach my goal is continue weighing myself daily and adjust food and/or exercise if I see my weight start to go up (or down too low, for that matter). It's not as precise, but it's also not as obsessive, and I choose not obsessing over food, not now and definitely not for the rest of my life.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes I really do. I tried not counting for the first 50 years and that didn't work out so well.

DITTO!! (add some extra mileage in my case :wink: )

yes, OP, now that I've wised up I will be counting forever. It's my new lifestyle.
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Look at MFP as a training tool. It's intangible, so everything you learn from it will become memory and habit. The more you use MPF, the better you become at managing this aspect of your life. Once you do it long enough, you might not need MPF because you'll have trained your mind and body to react certain ways when it comes to food management and intake. It's easy to revert to old ways, though. That's when you might need to come back for a refresher!
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hope to get to a day where I don't have to. I have learned some stuff and know now what is bad, what is not, how many cals I am eating now, etc. But I don't know. Sometimes I will have something I probably shouldn't, like I had a piece of KFC the other night at my cousins. I hadn't yet, starving, that is what they bought. I caved, but I did feel guilty about it later. Even though I had ALL my calories... and I don't like that, that guilty feeling. So I don't know if I can stop counting now that I am, or what the future holds in regards to that.
  • TheFairyJester
    Options
    i am not actually counting now. Logged and counted the first few weeks to establish a good size portion and daily amount.

I haven't counted in logged for this past week or so, still losing.

I probably will log a day here and there just to make sure that i am still eating the level i should.

but for how much i have to lose and well quite frankly i do not intend to count and log the rest of my life.

again just maybe occasionally to know what my average and adjust it back to where it should be.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes I really do. I tried not counting for the first 50 years and that didn't work out so well.
    GREAT answer :)
  • anaoliver63
    anaoliver63 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If I ever want to be and stay healthy.
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm more aware of what's in food now than I ever was. Give myself a target weight range, if I start falling outside of that then do some maintainence work, otherwise try to enjoy - reasonably.
  • e5412
    e5412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing so for at least 6 months or so after I hit my goal weight to make sure I form good habits. The transition from loose 2 lbs/week to maintain will feel pretty huge I imagine. Plus I'll keep 1 eye on the scale just to make sure I don't have to go thru this again. :)

With that said, I can totally see that I'll be a calorie counter for a LONG time
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nope. Thankfully, I maintain weight very easily as long I cut out the alcohol even without exercising. That's where my big issue comes in, and right now I'm counting calories to lose the weight I'd gained by partying hard. I don't tend to ever go back my old drinking and eating habits! Once I get to my goal, I plan on watching portion sizes and just making sure I'm eating the correct things and moving more. Like someone else that responded, I have a goal weight range that I want to maintain, and if it ever shifts to the top, I'll go back to counting calories.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    No, I dont think I will do it forever.
    I think I might for about a year of maintaining, is my guess right now. But by then I am going to be really well aware of how many calories are in most types of foods, and you can just "feel out" how you've been eating that day. I think it will come more naturally. Mixed with exercise and eating in moderation, I'll probably just watch the scale and watch how my clothes fit.

I think it really just depends on your personality and whether or not it becomes a lifestyle change or something that you still need structure to control. everyone will be different!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    yup
  • biggirlnomore92
    Options
    I don't count calories; I eat all of the fruits and vegetables as I want and still losing. I don't want to stressed if I don't meet my calorie goal, makes it easier for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Look at MFP as a training tool. It's intangible, so everything you learn from it will become memory and habit. The more you use MPF, the better you become at managing this aspect of your life. Once you do it long enough, you might not need MPF because you'll have trained your mind and body to react certain ways when it comes to food management and intake. It's easy to revert to old ways, though. That's when you might need to come back for a refresher!

tumblr_inline_mteeitbOdR1r1ign5.gif

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face...the people who think counting calories is the "lifestyle change"...you are missing the boat.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    fo sho
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!