My Pointless Soapbox

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As a side note: If you pay close enough attention, you will see that the people crying foul all the time are the ones that almost NEVER take the time out to help others or answer questions on here.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Good lord, people. There's a TL;DR at the bottom.
    Why do people put the TLDR at the bottom? It should be at the top.

Cuz then no one would read the actual post.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I just want to say that even though I don't agree 100% with everything you're saying, I appreciate the intelligence you bring to your points and I really respect the compassionand respect you have for your fellow person, including those like myself who might be seen as debating with you :):flowerforyou:

Thanks! I had considered foot-stomping and whining, but I think my 5yo has the monopoly on that in this house.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    in for telling you to get off your pointless soapbox. it's pointless.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    A person driven by all the hurt and self-loathing generated by how they are treated because they are fat to lose weight, signs up for a site in the hopes that they can finally obtain that ideal standard of fitness and beauty, and when try, they actually TRY to do something to change themselves, they can't catch a break. They still get caught up in the same vicious criticism that drove them to lose weight.

The mistaken assumption behind your post is that you think the world cares about your weight as a separate thing. We only care about your weight as it pertains to your health and fitness. Carrying too high a body fat percentage is unhealthy and likely to shorten your life. Losing weight too quickly is unhealthy and likely to shorten your life. We just want you to be healthy and stick around with us longer. This may include losing weight, but primarily it involves eating healthy foods in proper amounts and being more active. The weight loss ought to be a symptom of the change in behavior. NOT the primary focus. The primary focus should be that you feel better, that your doctor says good things about your cholesterol and insulin levels, that you can still run around with your kids/grand kids when you are in your 60s.
    Forget weight loss. Start focusing on being healthier, lifting more,eating better, running faster, feeling firmer, etc...
    We don't care what your scale says about you. We just love you and want you to be here with us and healthy for as long as possible!

Well thought out post !
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, I look forward to watching your future posts to see how you are able to provide the much-needed help that is phrased in a way that is acceptable to the masses.

After you've made, oh, say, 100 of these helpful posts, let's reconvene and you can share what you've learned from the experience.

:flowerforyou:

TL;DR - you've made 26 posts on this site since you joined 17 months ago, ~9 of which are in this thread. It's time to start being the change you are expecting from others.
  • wheird
    Options
    OP, I look forward to watching your future posts to see how you are able to provide the much-needed help that is phrased in a way that is acceptable to the masses.

After you've made, oh, say, 100 of these helpful posts, let's reconvene and you can share what you've learned from the experience.

Pretty much, while I do get her point, it is useless until she has strode a mile in another's shoes.

Be part of the solution.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    ...but even if you can't win, it doesn't mean it's not worth trying, right?

That's not true. There is no point in my son's lacrosse team trying. Because they can't win.

:noway:
  • thickerella
    Options

TL;DR - you've made 26 posts on this site since you joined 17 months ago, ~9 of which are in this thread. It's time to start being the change you are expecting from others.

I honestly know very little around the science of weight-loss compared to many posters. I'm learning. In my defense, despite my longevity on the site, until now I think my longest stretch of logging and using the site was about 15 days.

I am not a good example of what to do. When I am logging my calories I start to obsess about what I am eating, and my calories start dwindling until I am not eating enough, getting headaches constantly, and then going off the wagon when I can't do it anymore. I am pretty much the poster-child for what NOT to do. I am trying extremely extremely hard to break that pattern this time, but I struggle with it constantly. Where I am right now, in attempting to advise others I feel as though I am being a fat hypocrite instead of just fat.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

A lot of the time the advice given is NOT intentionally cruel, it is just stated in a blunt, matter-of-fact manner that some people interpret as rude or demeaning.

And you know what? That's fine. However, I see words like stupid, idiotic, useless, etc thrown around here on a daily basis. Being blunt is not a bad thing. There is a difference between being blunt and being a jerk.

I've seen this too, which is called flaming and which is also against MFP guidelines. That's what the report button is for.

I understand your stance and your frustration, but you can't change other people.

Also, some people use forums as a way to say things they would never say to a person's face. It's sad but true.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I honestly know very little around the science of weight-loss compared to many posters. I'm learning. In my defense, despite my longevity on the site, until now I think my longest stretch of logging and using the site was about 15 days.

I am not a good example of what to do. When I am logging my calories I start to obsess about what I am eating, and my calories start dwindling until I am not eating enough, getting headaches constantly, and then going off the wagon when I can't do it anymore. I am pretty much the poster-child for what NOT to do. I am trying extremely extremely hard to break that pattern this time, but I struggle with it constantly. Where I am right now, in attempting to advise others I feel as though I am being a fat hypocrite instead of just fat.

You should consider making a new post about your efforts/approach/struggles. There are probably some people here who have some helpful ideas that might resonate (because many of them have been there and have found a way to the other side). Just don't get defensive in response to the advice and everything will almost certainly go smoothly. :drinker:
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Time out

What is TL;DR?
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Time out

What is TL;DR?
    To Long; Didn't Read
  • wheird
    Options

I read articles and nutrition studies in my free time to both learn and pass on the knowledge. I can get you started if you would like. :)
  • thickerella
    Options
    I read articles and nutrition studies in my free time to both learn and pass on the knowledge. I can get you started if you would like. :)

I would like that. I find a lot of the information on the forums is contradictory. Example: Starvation Mode. I see a post about it every day and some people post studies that show that it is a thing, and some people post studies that show that starvation mode can't happen to an obese person and then there is anecdotal evidence out the wazoo that support both claims. Me? I have no clue.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Also, some people use forums as a way to say things they would never say to a person's face. It's sad but true.
    Why is it sad?
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    and then there is anecdotal evidence out the wazoo that support both claims. Me? I have no clue.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data". Some fitness information is fairly clearcut and the only people who will be objecting to it are the ones who don't want to follow that advice. Other bits, such as starvation mode, or adaptive thermogenesis as it is more accurately known, are harder to pin down in the popular literature, primarily because the popular literature is typically written around research that was done a decade or more ago. My suggestion is to go directly to the science. In this case: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/
    This article provides a decent study of the long term effects of diet and concludes that:
    Attempts to sustain weight loss invoke adaptive responses involving the coordinate actions of metabolic, neuroendocrine, autonomic, and behavioral changes that “oppose” the maintenance of a reduced bodyweight. This phenotype is distinct from that opposing dynamic weight loss per se. The multiplicity of systems regulating energy stores and opposing the maintenance of a reduced body weight illustrate that body energy stores in general and fat stores in particular are actively “defended” by interlocking bioenergetic and neurobiological physiologies. Important inferences can be drawn for therapeutic strategies by recognizing obesity as a state in which the human body actively opposes the “cure” over long periods of time beyond the initial resolution of symptomatology.
    Essentially that the body does become more efficient at using calories if caloric intake is reduced beyond a certain point, so a starvation diet might not be as efficient at cutting weight than a more moderately paced diet.
  • wheird
    Options

I would like that. I find a lot of the information on the forums is contradictory. Example: Starvation Mode. I see a post about it every day and some people post studies that show that it is a thing, and some people post studies that show that starvation mode can't happen to an obese person and then there is anecdotal evidence out the wazoo that support both claims. Me? I have no clue.

Starvation Mode is misunderstood adaptive thermogenesis. Your body becomes more efficient at utilizing calories the greater your caloric deficit is. Some people believe that you will stop losing weight and start storing fat from what you eat. That part is untrue. Your effective TDEE is lowered, thus requiring less of an intake.

For starters, check out coursera.org. They offer an Intro to Human Physiology course that is pretty good and also a few nutrition courses. Those are a ways off before they stary though, so if you you want to shoot me a PM I will dig up some stuff for you to read until then.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Good lord, people. There's a TL;DR at the bottom.

Didn't get to it ;)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think people that bash on fat people are just terrified of being fat themselves, or were once fat, and think that because they were able to slim down, "everyone" should be able to do it. Well, technically everyone "should" be able to do it, but not everyone should be made to feel that they HAVE to do it. Losing weight is a fairly straightforward process if you distill it to its essence, but it's just not that easy for a lot of people and frankly, some people don't want to do it. And they shouldn't be made to feel like they're terrible people because looking slender isn't as much of a priority for them as it is for others. If someone is happy being fat, who am I to replace their happiness with discipline and a measure of deprivation? Whose quality of life is being improved here? I don't think a person needs to be the slimmest, most toned version of themselves to be a worthwhile human being, and frankly, I think it's absurd that anyone thinks that way. I know plenty of fat people who are worth knowing, and whether they ever choose to address their weight is completely immaterial to me. A person isn't their body, and honestly people who care more about their physique than anything else are generally people I find unappealing on every level.

But I have no problem with a goodly measure of salt in my discussions around here. If someone is spouting nonsense, I'll say so, and I won't mince words. People love to trot out paradigms like "starvation mode" and "eating clean" that are supported only by anecdotal hearsay, and try to give suggestions that won't fix a person's problem, and will likely make the problem worse. Every day, we get new people frustrated because they think they're doing everything right, but they're not losing weight. Generally speaking, if a person isn't losing weight, telling them to "eat moar calories" is not the answer, and yet that's the advice I see most often. Sometimes I think people just come here for permission to eat more, and others come to enable them. When "I'm not losing weight" is followed by "should I be eating more?", it's not hard to see what's really going on with the person. So when the usual suspects start in with "you've ruined your metabolism, oh noes!!!!!1111!!!!, I just can't be nice. I'm not all that nice to begin with. :devil: