Angry at husband for refusing to take care of his body

Options

Replies

• breanazank
    Options
    I am a bloke, my suggestion is stop trying to control his life, do not nag or he may find someone not as controlling

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but as a bloke we push back, and change, if & when, we want to

Quoted for truth.

In my experience, either you learn to live and work TOGETHER or go your separate paths.
    If you are having this big of an issue so early into the marriage, maybe think about why you married him in the first place. Because based off your post, you guys don't sound like you're on the same page.

Personally, back the hell off. It will only push him away. Do YOU; focus on yourself. Lead by example, but don't push him into eating habits he doesn't want (even though it probably is better for him). If and when he starts to see how it's effecting his health, maybe he'll change. Maybe he wont. But that is entirely up to him. Just be his PARTNER and stand by whatever decision he makes.
    He is a grown man and individual after all...
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wow, seriously, what a big jerk for letting himself get so out of shape and develop such poor habits in just a couple of short months since your wedding. I'm just appalled that he would change so much in such a short amount of time, and that you, you know, WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN THAT HE WAS LIKE THAT BEFORE YOU DECIDED TO MARRY HIM or something.

:laugh:

OP, you're his wife, not his mother. Cook whatever you want for dinner. If you start making a bunch of "health food" as you call it, you may be coming back here posting about how pissed you are b/c your husband only had a few bites of the dinner you slaved over, and then went to McDonald's for a burger and fries. Make the kind of food that you and your family like to eat. Tell him that you're afraid for him, and ask what you can do to support him. I imagine his doc wants him back for follow up blood work if he's pre-D and had other poor results. Let him work with his doctor to figure things out. Or, if he doesn't want to figure things out, then maybe you should reevaluate having kids with this man. If you're going to spend the rest of his life pissed at him over the possibility that he'll die and leave you a widow with a small child, you're better off not having one. If he really wants one, maybe it'll be the fire under his a.ss to make a change. Although I don't think you should use a baby as leverage - I don't mean for it to sound that way at all. And if doesn't really want one, then maybe there are bigger problems than your husband's blood work. Good luck!:drinker:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's not just men that will push back to the nagging and trying to change thing.

My husband is a Marine. I gained weight after having my daughter, and really couldnt "get it together" after... you know, being 21 with a new baby, a new bride, a new military wife at that, and MILES MILES away from every single person in my family. It was an up and down battle.

it was in NO danger to my health...he nagged and nagged me. All it did was make me NOT want to do it. I finally told him to leave me alone and I'll do it on my own terms if and when I'm ready. I still loved him dearly, but he really needed to leave me alone. He got the hint after I lost 10 lbs in secret by working out before he got up...he saw I can do things in my own way, I'm an adult and I dont need someone following me around telling me what to do.

Now things are more than great. if I ask for help- he helps. But if he pushes, I'll push back.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Look, if you're really concerned, and you're the one who cooks, then make healthy meals (I know you said you didn't want to, but what in the F is wrong with healthy meals?), Don't buy juice or cookies or chips. You're not nagging. You're just making it so that if he wants a giant orange soda he's going to have to get up and go out of the house and get it for himself.

Yes, he has to learn some damn portion control. It would also be awesome if he learned to shop and cook. You can't hassle him into portion control, but if you control the food, then you sure can make it so he has to fend for himself if he wants to mess himself up.

It's not rocket science. Don't enable.

Edited to add: also, if you haven't told him why you're scared, tell him. He might not know how awful diabetes can be to live with, and die with. Tell him what you've seen your relatives go through ... and then drop it. Model the good behavior. Everything else is up to him.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    And also, I don't think that there's anything wrong with asking your spouse to change something that really bothers you.

something like hanging up a wet towel, not burning microwave popcorn....sure.

sounds to me like you thought the wedding bell was your green light to try to change him.

how long has he been living this lifestyle you disapprove of? have you tried talking to him prior to now? (if you already answered these, my bad.)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    From experience-lead by example and keep your mouth shut. My husband's cholesterol numbers were high and he was on his way to being a diabetic. Having his doctor and employer tell him this didn't change anything, because he just wasn't ready.

Last fall I started losing weight because my own health was deteriorating. After a year of focusing on me, being positive about the whole thing (I never ever complained about 'dieting'), and being successful with losing the weight and now maintaining-a month ago out of the blue my husband told me he wanted to lose some weight. I had to scrape my jaw off the floor lol. I supported him in his decision, as he's done for me, but I let him take control and he chose a way that worked for him (which was different than how I approached weight loss). This morning he hit a new low and has lost a little over 10lbs. He's doing it on his own terms and out of a desire to do this for himself. My role is be supportive but not be pushy or become a nag. That won't work and will cause more problems. Being an example is the biggest thing you can do-they are watching us!

THIS!
    When he is ready to change, he will. You cannot create the desire in him. It has to be his decision or he won't keep the weight off anyway. Remember why you chose him.

So you will nag him right on out the door. I feel sorry for your husband. :ohwell:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I was in the same kind of boat as you are, my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer stage IIIb and still decided to smoke...talk about huge fights, I finally just gave up and he finally quit.....needless to say he is a 6 year survivor after given 6months to a year to live....

so in other words, adults have their right to do what they want, even if it isn't right in our eyes...it is their life....so don't nag him, it will only do more harm...let him figure it out!

best of luck!

:noway: That makes me mad just reading about it.:angry: You're a saint for being able to let that one go. Congratulations to your husband for quitting and being a survivor!:flowerforyou:
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    And also, I don't think that there's anything wrong with asking your spouse to change something that really bothers you. I know it's the current "politically correct" thing to say that people shouldn't try to change other people and to rant that "desperate" or "stupid" women are always marrying men and then trying to "fix" them. But come on, really? You are only hearing this one complaint that I have about my husband and some of you have decided that my marriage fits into the above-listed stereotype and that I probably shouldn't have married the guy.

That's ridiculous. It's okay, in my opinion, to ask your spouse to change something for you, especially if it's something self-destructive. And throwing someone aside instead of marrying them because of a single flaw when you love them tremendously and they are a good, kind person, is just stupid. So yes, I married him, and I will stay married to him.

And FYI, he also believes there is nothing wrong with asking your spouse to change something if it bothers you.
    The issue isn't whether it's right or wrong to ask him to change, it's whether he will change based on your request. Motivation needs to come from within and outside pressure to change can be extremely demotivating, as other posters have explained.

I have been married for 25 years and have found that the best way to encourage better eating in my husband is to model good eating. Nagging is always counter productive.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I just got married in September,

..I want

..I DON'T want

..AWFUL

..He's grumpy, forgetful, etc.

..he "talks" change, but does nothing.

..He eats HUGE portions

..I'm really the only one who cooks

..My husband, however, will eat a HUGE plate

..I don't think it's fair

..Plus, I'm angry

..I don't want

..Should I nag him?

Please, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wow. What a happy marriage that must be.

Serious point.

Brilliant.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Work this out before you have kids.

^^
  • georgeyuan5
    Options
    How did you marry him without knowing that?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    no one likes the food police or the exercise police. it's very hard.

Are you kidding people love the food and exercise police. Constantly passing laws and funding government to control our habits and tell us what we can and cant do. If we didnt like it we would stop reelecting the same politicians over and over. Right? Maybe not.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    no one likes the food police or the exercise police. it's very hard.

Are you kidding people love the food and exercise police. Constantly passing laws and funding government to control our habits and tell us what we can and cant do. If we didnt like it we would stop reelecting the same politicians over and over. Right? Maybe not.

OP is ONLY responsible for her husband's health. Not government policy! Well, yet anyway.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    When I read the OP, I started to post the same thing I have seen already..."Why didn't the two of you discuss this stuff in depth prior to marrying??" But I assume you DID discuss and it still do. If you don't, please do so immediately.

The only thing that strikes me as remotely "off" is the way you're referring to receiving his bloodwork, almost like he failed a test or is one of your children who brought home a bad report card. I DO understand that it is the catalyst for your now much deeper concern about his health and wellbeing. To me, that sounds like the perfect time to have a serious discussion about this and put the ball in his court. Nagging probably won't go far.

My dad married my stepmom when they were both 43 years old. She was lean and in good health. He was also in good health then but definitely overweight - but he worked at a physical job and was very set in his ways. He didn't go to the doctor ever. Never got sick. And so on. My stepmom jumped on the low fat bandwagon, Atkins diet craze, etc. She always tried to get him to do it, too. Did he? Heck no. My stepmom was already a widow, at 43. So she finally convinced my dad around age 47 or so to get bloodwork and a full physical etc. Everything looked great. He continued to eat steak, burgers, sweets, and little else. Regardless of her nagging.

Fast forward to my dad hitting his early 60s. He suddenly had a prostate cancer scare, then an esophageal cancer scare. Luckily he's not been diagnosed with cancer yet but his health is not wonderful. What did he do? Started eating healthy. Stopped the occasional tobacco chewing. Became a mall walker and walks 27 miles per week with his newfound pals and even lifts weights in the attic. He looks a lot like Bill Clinton does now. Trim and lean and you would probably think he had always been a fit guy. You would not guess he was 250-ish pounds (albeit 6'4") until his 60s.

Point being, people have to get that scare...that motivation...for themselves. And it doesn't always come in the form of a well-meaning spouse trying to make them change.

I do wish you both the best, though!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Emotional response to fear of losing spouse is normal. Frustration over inability to change the course yourself is normal.

Hopefully he makes the right choice. Good luck OP.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Mine has CHF and everything I've lost he's gained so I'm kinda in the same boat. My daughter says you've got to do something and I say he's a grown *kitten* man and I have no control over what he does. Like me, he has to want to change in order to change. He's got to want to quit feeling horrible. Voice your fears and concerns once and tell him you aren't going to bring it up again. I actually told mine when he said he wasn't going to take meds for the rest of his life or go to the doctors all the time that he may as well stayed home and died the first time because it did no good to take care of the issue for one weekend and then get right back in the same situation, he conceded and went to the doctor and takes his meds.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    And also, I don't think that there's anything wrong with asking your spouse to change something that really bothers you. I know it's the current "politically correct" thing to say that people shouldn't try to change other people and to rant that "desperate" or "stupid" women are always marrying men and then trying to "fix" them. But come on, really? You are only hearing this one complaint that I have about my husband and some of you have decided that my marriage fits into the above-listed stereotype and that I probably shouldn't have married the guy.

That's ridiculous. It's okay, in my opinion, to ask your spouse to change something for you, especially if it's something self-destructive. And throwing someone aside instead of marrying them because of a single flaw when you love them tremendously and they are a good, kind person, is just stupid. So yes, I married him, and I will stay married to him.

And FYI, he also believes there is nothing wrong with asking your spouse to change something if it bothers you.

Sounds like this is going to be a super fun marriage for you both. Perhaps hold off on the baby plans for a while...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well sit him down and ask him to get a very good insurance policy to protect you and the kids. Since he is not willing to take care of his health, the least he can do is make sure you don't end up homeless if/ when he die.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Get thee to marriage counseling. There are a LOT of different issues going on here according to your post.