200 grams of Protein a day

Options

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

Uh, you DO? :huh: Name three.

by "doing protein" do you mean banging protein or eating protein? That is the distinction that matters....

sad you don't know what "doing protein" is,

is like doing meth

just snort it.

Bro, do you even protein?

Seriously...
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

First off, excess protein is the same as any other macro. It will convert to fat if you are in a caloric excess. Also, body weight does matters as lean body mass will determine ultimately how much of the protein you take will actually be utilized.

I'm currently at 235 and I noticed enormous muscular gains after I upped my protein intake to about 200g per day. Granted, I'm in a caloric deficit but my fat stores are more then enough for now to accomidate this.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a HUGE difference increasing my protein to over 200 grams a day. Is anyone else doing this and for how long? What's the good and bad in doing so?

Haven't read through the thread but what kind of difference?
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through the thread but what kind of difference?

OP noticed huge broscience gains.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

First off, excess protein is the same as any other macro. It will convert to fat if you are in a caloric excess. Also, body weight does matters as lean body mass will determine ultimately how much of the protein you take will actually be utilized.

I'm currently at 235 and I noticed enormous muscular gains after I upped my protein intake to about 200g per day. Granted, I'm in a caloric deficit but my fat stores are more then enough for now to accomidate this.
    Technically excess protein will not turn into fat under normal circumstances.
    kind of like carbs do not become fat under normal diet. unless you went super hypercaloric.
  • bluemoonshine12
    Options
    I was recently reading the nutrition guide that comes with P90X and for someone weighing 170lbs, they just getting 2400 calories/day. They recommend 50% of those calories coming from protein during "phase 1", 40% during "phase 2" and then a more standard 20% during "phase 3". According to the myfitnesspal app, that means I should be consuming over 200 grams of protein/day. I don't understand how you could eat 2000 or more calories a day and only eat 56 grams of protein. That means the rest would have to be carbs or fat, right?
  • kawasakininja13
    kawasakininja13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very glad I came across this. I had a huge family house warming and there was alot of grilled chicken and beef kebabs. I had up to 300 grams of protein yesterday with less than 80 grams of carbs. Doing this everyday would be detrimental to kidney's etc but once in a while is okay. I mean after all, human beings did once survive on nothing but meat.
  • chattogym
    Options
    Good Video !!!
  • girlonfire2913
    Options
    i was going to post a question about protein too. i was at a 3 month plateau and after losing all motivation from trying everything i could think of someone suggested i'm not eating enough protein and that i should have about 140g of protein a day but that seems high to me. i did raise it to about 100g and started making sure i have 30g first thing in the morning.. is that about right?
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are so off on this. Excess protein that you drink your body just urinates out. Doesn't seem like many of you understand fitness combined with nutrition. I take in between protein drinks, peanut butter, stake, eggs, Turkey burgers, almonds and other natural foods over 500 a day easy. Dropped 2 more pounds in last few days. That's 49lbs in less then 2 months. Fitness and nutrition go hand in hand. Lack of understanding one leads to difficulty reaching ones goals.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    pknjhh wrote: »
    Excess protein that you drink your body just urinates out.

:facepalm:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The bro is strong in this one...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Excess protein (carbs and fats as well) is stored as fat to be used later for energy.

I am pretty sure protein in the urine is usually caused be pretty serious kidney disease.

• pknjhh
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Excess protein (carbs and fats as well) is stored as fat to be used later for energy.

I am pretty sure protein in the urine is usually caused be pretty serious kidney disease.

Only way it can cause kidney disease is if your predisposed or if you are constantly dehydrated.
  • pknjhh
    Options

If that was true most powerlifters and bodybuilders would have kidney disease. Don't hear to much about that. Think it's blown way out or proportion.
  • J72FIT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Only way it can cause kidney disease is if your predisposed or if you are constantly dehydrated.

I did not say it caused anything. Merely pointing out that if you in are peeing out protein (not dietary protein FWI) you more then likely have a pretty significant kidney issue...

That said, what I think you are trying to say is, excess protein can be problematic if you already have a kidney issue... That much I agree with.
  • girlonfire2913
    girlonfire2913 Posts: 17
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i get that everyone is being sarcastic here but still never really got an answer.i started taking in about 100g of protein which was 40 more then mfp suggested and more on days i weight train. so far it was what i needed to get pasted my plateau. i thought this board was for nutrition ADVICE but either way my question was answered thanks ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    MissyBenj wrote: »
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning. Make sure to educate yourself before you harm yourself.

Good luck!
    Perhaps if you're in the 300g range yes, 200g is nothing for an average male who is a on a bulk. I've talked to a nephrologist who have told me as long as you are healthy and drinking plenty of fluids, they really is nothing to worry about.
  • J72FIT
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning. Make sure to educate yourself before you harm yourself.

Not true...

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I have never herd of this, do you have any articles on this matter.. I have searched many times and could not find any..