One Night Stand - Liberating or shameful?

Options

Replies

• paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Could go either way!

I don't see the point of giving yourself a hard time about having one... I mean, you can't take it back.

Just take precautions, make sure you get satisfied, and for crying out loud, don't brag about it!
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    OK. This topic isn't really worth getting pissy over and I have homework to do that I've been procrastinating on. So I'm out. Goodnight, y'all.
    \

Thank god, maybe now we can have an actual discussion.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    “As someone who has long worked in sexual health"

^^ Really? How long? You're 23. :huh:

Let's stop exaggerating. You're telling people their beliefs are wrong. No one is judging you for your decisions. Sleep with anyone you want, and I will do the same.

Bless your heart. :flowerforyou:

You're 32 and you work as a glorified receptionist. Let's not exaggerate our contribution to this discussion as well, shall we?
    black-kid-oh-snap.gif
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    In today's world they can be dangerous and lead to bad consequences. Morally I have no opinion. It's a private matter between two consenting adults and can do as they choose. But, while they can be fun and to some extent exciting, they can be dangerous unless you fully know the person and his or her medical history and whether or not they might give you an infection that you'll carry all your life. Among many other things.

Shameful? No, I don't think so. Liberating? No, not at all.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've never had one. I wouldn't even enjoy it. I wouldn't feel comfortable enough letting my guard down around someone I just met.

But to people who do get enjoyment from it, so long as they are safe I don't see any issue. It certainly shouldn't feel shameful if it was something you wanted and enjoyed.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Let's stop exaggerating. You're telling people their beliefs are wrong. No one is judging you for your decisions. Sleep with anyone you want, and I will do the same.

Spent a year working with Planned Parenthood teaching at-risk teenage girls. I've been handing out condoms at Gay Pride and talking about sex with my peers since I was 13. Worked with sexual assault prevention groups on-campus in college. Co-edited a publication about female sexuality and sexual health all through college. Currently a graduate student studying public health, including sexual health.

You're 32 and you work as a glorified receptionist. Let's not exaggerate our contribution to this discussion as well, shall we?

Just a receptionist, but I appreciate the glory! I did not tout my experience as a receptionist as a pillar on which to rest my argument. Had I, that would be totally valid. As it stands, it is totally inconsequential. But way to call me out. Kudos for being a grown up.

ETA: my contribution is solely based on experience, personal beliefs, and common sense.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Not for me.

This and because I probably would be that girl that gets attached and then crashes and burns. Soooo Ill save myself some trouble and just avoid it.
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also, besides the whole STD/Pregnancy/Morals argument..

Anyone ever have had a stalker from a one night stand?

I have.
    She still sents Ms. Clause weird mail..
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Sometimes an itch needs to be scratched. As long as protection is involved, I don't think it's a big deal.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Also, besides the whole STD/Pregnancy/Morals argument..

Anyone ever have had a stalker from a one night stand?

I have.
    She still sents Ms. Clause weird mail..

And you LOVE it!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yuck...... I don't want old diseases.Keep em to yourself.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Everyone has perspective which is psychologically made up of experiences, beliefs, culture....the list of factors that can go on....and all can be incorporated in how a person views sex, preference, etc. some people place stigmas upon the act, others attach more emotion. Some not at all. Combined all of that influences an opinion on sex, and in my opinion, everyone is entitled to their feelings as long as they are not rudely berating others. I personally thrive on emotional attachment and see no fulfilling attributes to a one time sexual encounter. I have plenty of friends who love one night stands and I don't see any negativity in their decision. It works for them. My choices work for me. :)

I think that's a great answer :)
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Sometimes an itch needs to be scratched. As long as protection is involved, I don't think it's a big deal.

I'm your Huckleberry
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Liberating when I'm drunk, shameful the next day. The same thing goes for Karaoke.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna agree with the neither shameful nor liberating camp on this one. They can be fun, they can be awful. Depends largely on the partner, setting, state of mind, etc. To many variables to make a blanket decision.

I will say, though, that I believe there is a moral component to sex, beyond consent, for many people. Not everyone has the same view, therefore you cannot say sex has nothing to do with morality. To some, sex is inextricably linked to religion/marriage. There would most definitely be a moral component to sex for them. To some, sex is a recreational activity, so it's less likely there would be a moral issue.

For me, I'm trying to figure out my changing views on it. I grew up believing that sex was only okay within a marriage. Then I decided it was okay within a loving relationship. Then, I realized how fun it can be and now see it as more recreational. That being said, I find it a different experience to have sex for fun and to have sex within a loving committed relationship. (that's not to say that sex within a relationship isn't fun, btw!) Neither is better or worse, just different. And equally rewarding!!!

There is a moral component to sex?

NOPE

Morality- principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior

You tell me how sex between two consenting adults can be used to show a person's ability to determine right from wrong. Please enlighten me as to who is being hurt and how casual sex can be seen as unethical.

As I said, if one is religious and believes the link between sex and marriage, that person would likely think a one night stand has a lot to do with good/bad behavior and right/wrong.

You don't like me. You love to argue. It's cool. I get it. But you're not always the authority on all things sex-related. Others have valid opinions/ideas. It's not a right or wrong answer.

Elegant response. Nice work. :drinker:
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    STDs are like the lottery. The more you play, the more chances you get to win!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yuck...... I don't want old diseases.Keep em to yourself.

What about new diseases? :tongue:
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd be ashamed of myself. Maybe for some people, it's a liberating experience, but for me, it wouldn't be. Probably a combination of the way I was raised, my religious beliefs, and the fact that I know it wouldn't even be an enjoyable experience for me anyway because I won't even be attracted to some random guy I meet (I have to have a close bond with someone and care for them deeply in order to even have the slightest desire to sleep with them, that's just the way I am).

And then there's the whole issue of pregnancy and diseases. No matter how much and what form of birth control you use, you're not going to get 100% protection. There's always that 1% chance. Some people think the small risk is worth it; to each their own. For me, I'd rather not take that risk. To me, it's not worth it.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Almost nothing is 100% effective, but if you don't want to be pregnant, there aren't any better options short of abortion.

Abstinence is 100%, just sayin. As far as abortion, I'm not opening that can of worms........

Nothing is 100% effective once you've had sex and have a possibility of getting pregnant. The topic was plan-b after having had sex when the condom didn't work. READING COMPREHENSION!!

No the topic was one night stands. Then you went on about protection and abortion etc. READING COMPREHENSION
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Spent a year working with Planned Parenthood teaching at-risk teenage girls. I've been handing out condoms at Gay Pride and talking about sex with my peers since I was 13. Worked with sexual assault prevention groups on-campus in college. Co-edited a publication about female sexuality and sexual health all through college. Currently a graduate student studying public health, including sexual health.

Emma, seriously STFU. You seem up-tight, perhaps you need to go for a ONS?
This discussion has been closed.