Share your dieting 'staple foods'?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken ,eggs, lettuce, escarole, tomato,cucumbers,avocado,spinach,peas,carrots,lemon, olive oil & vinegar
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My GP tells me to stay away from dairy, red meat, take aways, and anything fried. I'm allowed no more than 3 eggs a week.
    Other than this, I eat what I fancy, as long as its not a readymade meal, a fatty/sugary pudding or alcohol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Others have named a lot of my own staples and snack items. So I'll say the #1 thing that I rely on is breakfast tacos.

Sounds weird, but it has helped me a ton. I cook one egg in a bit of canola spray, flip it and toss a SMALL size flour or corn tortilla on top, then flip again. Add about 1/2 T. of southwest dressing (any brand) and I am good to go.

Sometimes I'll include onion, peppers, mushrooms, etc, in the egg, but not always. It is a great breakfast for me with a cup of coffee and at around 200 cal (often less depending on the tortilla and dressing type/brand) it has also served as dinner on days when I went over on my calories at lunch. Some people may think tortillas are the devil ;-) But I find this small meal really filling and delicious.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like as long as I stay at my goal calories. That said, the foods I eat most often include string cheese, 2% cheddar, yogurt, every kind of fruit especially bananas, grapefruit, apples, strawberries, watermelon and pineapple, steamed or roasted veggies, boiled eggs, granola, oatmeal, grilled chicken, tuna, salmon, sirloin steak (usually in a stir fry), pork tenderloin, turkey chili. Special treats include Snack Factory pretzel crisps with dark chocolate, Somersaults dutch cocoa snacks, Dreyers frozen fruit bars, ginger snaps, air popped popcorn.
  • cannibaldoll
    cannibaldoll Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bananas- always must have a ton on hand for my green smoothies in the morning.
    Clementines- great snack food, they carry well in my backpack for school
    Cliff bars/granola bars- snacks to keep me full till I get home to make a proper meal- instead of having pizza/fast food
    Oatmeal
    Frozen fruit bars
    Cucumbers
    Hummus
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Others have named a lot of my own staples and snack items. So I'll say the #1 thing that I rely on is breakfast tacos.

Sounds weird, but it has helped me a ton. I cook one egg in a bit of canola spray, flip it and toss a SMALL size flour or corn tortilla on top, then flip again. Add about 1/2 T. of southwest dressing (any brand) and I am good to go.

Sometimes I'll include onion, peppers, mushrooms, etc, in the egg, but not always. It is a great breakfast for me with a cup of coffee and at around 200 cal (often less depending on the tortilla and dressing type/brand) it has also served as dinner on days when I went over on my calories at lunch. Some people may think tortillas are the devil ;-) But I find this small meal really filling and delicious.
    My hubby pre-cooks a bunch of these (regular tortilla for him, ezekiel for me) and freezes them. They usually have egg, black beans, and whatever else is around (recently various kinds of squash). Super easy to warm up on a cold morning.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a diet because I don't restrict any foods, just eat less of them.

This made me laugh.

I'm glad you found humor in this :wink: .To clarify- I'm not restricting the type of food I eat, I'm just learning to not eat as much.
    What folks called dieting before formal diets and fad diets became popular.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisines
    Skinny cow
    Naked truth
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, this thread is full of 'healthy' low cal nice foods.

for me, I love pasta. but the high carbs and calories, high gluten and low GI puts it at the bottom of diet foods. I have found the following alternatives:

- microwaved bean sprouts
    - grated courgettes into fine ribbons with garlic

I also find low carbing helps
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Staple snacks are yogurt, string cheese, almonds, and reduced-fat cheez-its. I'm a filthy *kitten* for those.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a diet because I don't restrict any foods, just eat less of them.

This made me laugh.

I'm glad you found humor in this :wink: .To clarify- I'm not restricting the type of food I eat, I'm just learning to not eat as much.
    What folks called dieting before formal diets and fad diets became popular.a

So true, which is what I grew up on. I learned well the difference between good and bad foods. It's taken a lot of work to realize that it was never the food that was bad, but my habit of seeing food and eating it...and eating it...and, well know.

Now I know I can eat what I want in moderation like people who pretty much maintain know how to do.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    can't live without coffee, eggs, salmon and apples.