How Do You Define "Junk Food"?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't really think junk food exists. You can demonize fat or sugar all you want, but in my mind, all foods have a time and a place.

[img]http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tumblr_mc3e841q5t1ribnwko1_500.gif[/img]

This. Even Flamin' Hot Cheetos have a few grams of protein, and calories. We can't live on "nutrients" alone. We need calories too.
    Yeah, this is where I personally draw the line. All the weird colors and flavors can't quite justify a few grams of protein for me.
  • Smoni2008
    Smoni2008 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie Christmas Cakes. Just ate one :(:laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those folks who replied about salad oil. I guess I'm just not getting why salad oil is junk. I typically use extra virgin olive oil. Not junk imho. Especially in a nice oil and vinegar recipe.
    You responded, and said that you were careful with it. I think that means you wouldn't do what i put in the example. A lot of people are not careful with it, and the example i gave of putting 250 calories of oil on a 90 calorie plate of veg is something many people do.
    So what. What's your point?

Do you somehow believe that either fat or the calories from fat should be classified as junk food and if you do this thread isn't going to end well. Not to mention that your line of thinking isn't very logical, even if you somehow believe that it is...........watch out for that avocado and what ever you do don't add it to your salad.........it's total junk based on the calories from fat......lol.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie Christmas Cakes. Just ate one :(:laugh:

those are little slices of heaven, but mine would read I just ate the box
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as junk food, clean food, healthy food, bad food, or good food. Food is food.

Food can be healthful, but it is a neutral component providing calories, a mixture of macronutrients, micronutrients, and sometimes antioxidants and phytochemicals.

We are omnivores I dont care if the vegans say we are herbivores and the paleos say we are carnivores. We are physiologically omnivores an optimum human diet is one that encompasses variety.

I will repeat THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAD FOOD. The only food we should consider junk or bad would be that it somehow was pathogenic to us or covered in feces.

This.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Trans fats, saturated fats.

Cookies, cake, pies, candy, soda, processed foods, frozen foods (minus frozen veggies).
  • lessfatmatt
    lessfatmatt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals

What exactly is a "food chemical"? Water is a chemical. So are iron and potassium. Even protein, fats and carbohydrates are chemical compounds. Do you avoid all of them too?
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Every one here will have different backgrounds, beliefs and standards, despite how educated any one person thinks they are it doesn't mean their own opinion is absolute. There are many worse things out there than a bit of olive oil on salad or vegetables. I'd sort of rather people choose that then melting down a few teaspoons of margarine.

My OWN definition of 'junk' food, is anything that contains a number of man-made/man-altered ingredients. These things usually come from a packet, with a high number of sugar, sodium, added thickeners, colours, flavours and unhealthy fats. Things that are highly processed.

I don't think there is anything 'wrong' in people choosing to eat said foods. Personally I try and limit eating it myself, partly due to intolerances, but I don't expect the world to follow suit. Why should they? It's just my own conclusions that have lead me to where I stand.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    On another thread, i called a meal with 64% of it's calories coming from refined fat: "junk food". The meal being named was a salad doused in oil. Some people are trying to claim that is not junk food, despite the high ratio of nutritionless fiberless refined fat, to actual food. Do you think drowning a 90 calorie salad in 250 calories of oil makes it junk food?

How do you define what is "junk food"?

I think the definition of junk food is something that adds calories to your diet with little, to no, nutrients, and i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals, unwanted hormones, pesticides, etc).

Websters defines it as: "food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar"

Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation."

What's your definition?

On a (slightly) more serious note, it's interesting to me that most of your posts that I've read are in this vein. What are you trying to prove? ... And to whom?

Please-stahp-600x600.jpg

my hypothesis is that he's working for Big Sausage and is secretly trying to make the whole world despise vegans.

he's doing a good job so far.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of trying to change this website, which will be a frustrating, losing battle for you, why don't you just find another website that is more in agreement with your way of thinking/living?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    To me, junk food is empty calories that I love so much that I can't moderate my intake of them. I don't buy chips and I don't go to fast food restaurants, but other than that, I am able to fit most things into my plan as long as I am mindful to get enough lean protein, fiber, veggie and fruit.

So, Safeway angel food cake: 100 calories (not junk food as I never eat more than one piece). Wendy's Biggie fries (junk food as I could eat a trainload)
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Starch, wheat, grains, sugars, trans fats.

Edit: Oil isn't junk food. I drown my salads in delicious oils every day.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    No food is junk, especially not Little Debbie Christmas cakes. :bigsmile: I had one today, one yesterday, and I'm apt to have one tomorrow. :drinker: Why unneccessarily demonize food and make everything so complicated?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Wheat and grains (lol) are junk now too I see...interesting.
    With the junk oil, if we could just demonize the nightshade vegetables the majority of the mediterranean diet could then be considered junk.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of trying to change this website, which will be a frustrating, losing battle for you, why don't you just find another website that is more in agreement with your way of thinking/living?

true or a group so you could still have your MFP cake and eat it too. See ah ah all about moderation
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Wheat and grains (lol) are junk now too I see...interesting.
    With the junk oil, if we could just demonize the nightshade vegetables the majority of the mediterranean diet could then be considered junk.

The question was, how do you define junk food? I eat a ketogenic diet for my celiac disease, so the aformentioned foods are, to me, junk. They make me feel ****ty, they make me crave carbs, and they literally chew holes in my intestines and make me ill.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    lol! Oh noz empty calories and fat!!!!!

< sips beer while eating ice cream. It's genetic I'm sure . . .
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Junk is the stuff in my trash, or what I refer to sometimes as ma booty. Food that is not expired is food.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If I called someone an attention *kitten* would I get a strike? Just a general question, no one in particular in mind.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    OP, I think it's great that you found something that works for you. Realize though, that what works for you is not necessarily what is going to work for everyone always nor is it necessary for everyone always. Also realize that what works for you now may not be what works for you 10 years from now. Many diverse cultures thrive on many diverse diets... know that.