Replies

• Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    crap i know i dont need to be eating, things i have vowed to leave alone
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Junk food is food that I eat strictly for taste purposes. None of my macro needs are high enough that I can get away with claiming a "need" to supplement my calories or fat with some soy ice cream. My 20 calorie mint is junk-I love it, but I'm not eating it to meet a nutrient need. If a food gives more than minor benefits to my micros or macros, it's no longer junk.

I try to limit junk so I do better with eating my micros and macros, but there's a place for the junk too. I don't watch tons of trash tv, but I'm guilty of indulging there too. I like the fitness and health threads here, but some of the best threads are the ones that you know are going to get nuked.

I don't feel bad for taking in some junk, I just need to be mindful not to take too much in.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of trying to change this website, which will be a frustrating, losing battle for you, why don't you just find another website that is more in agreement with your way of thinking/living?
    Change the website? I asked a question and that is changing the website? Wow. Just wow.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    lol! Oh noz empty calories and fat!!!!!

< sips beer while eating ice cream. It's genetic I'm sure . . .

blasphemy beer is not an empty calorie the hops are great full of phytochemical and the wonderful antimicrobial properties of beer. Why if it wasnt for beer my German ancestors would have all died of crud what's that water disease called...see because of beer we dont even have to worry about it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's a food that is high in calories with little to no nutritional benefit. Like Little Debbie snacks, for instance. Total highly processed junk.
    this.

basically something that's easy to eat, has a relatively high caloric count and that i will still be hungry after finishing.

junk food has it's place though. there have been times i've need to take a ride in the cookie+ice cream mobile to make my calorie goals :laugh:
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think most of the disagreement came from calling oil junk food. What type of oil was it? Kraft garbage ranch dressing is a very different beast than olive oil and balsamic, or even lard. High fat is not junk food by default.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I think I consider "junk" anything that is any food that is highly processed or unnecessary in order to fill my macro/micro nutrients. Am I going to cut all "junk food" out of my diet, hell no. Everything in moderation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think most of the disagreement came from calling oil junk food. What type of oil was it? Kraft garbage ranch dressing is a very different beast than olive oil and balsamic, or even lard. High fat is not junk food by default.

ill agree with this only because i think kraft dressing tastes terrible. However, we may part ways if you put a homemade mayo based ranch in front of me. MMMMMMMM garlicky
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There is no junk food, there is only food. Your overall diet can be healthy or unhealthy, individual foods in a vacuum cannot be.

Also, aren't you the guy who said add olives or avocados to a salad? So olives and avocados are good (wicked high level of sodium in olives, due to brining,) but olive oil and avocado oil are bad? Very strong logic...

Hush you and your logic--you're just going to amaze the OP.

... On second though, keep going. Maybe you'll baffle him into blissful, joyous silence.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    lol! Oh noz empty calories and fat!!!!!

< sips beer while eating ice cream. It's genetic I'm sure . . .

blasphemy beer is not an empty calorie the hops are great full of phytochemical and the wonderful antimicrobial properties of beer. Why if it wasnt for beer my German ancestors would have all died of crud what's that water disease called...see because of beer we dont even have to worry about it.

Oh stop. Everyone knows that the human race would have died out if we had to drink beer rather than triple filtered organic bottled water. We're delicate creatures after all
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Does being sanctimonious burn a lot of calories?
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    On another thread, i called a meal with 64% of it's calories coming from refined fat: "junk food". The meal being named was a salad doused in oil. Some people are trying to claim that is not junk food, despite the high ratio of nutritionless fiberless refined fat, to actual food. Do you think drowning a 90 calorie salad in 250 calories of oil makes it junk food?

How do you define what is "junk food"?

I think the definition of junk food is something that adds calories to your diet with little, to no, nutrients, and i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals, unwanted hormones, pesticides, etc).

Websters defines it as: "food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar"
    Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation." What's your definition?

Some fats are good for you. Some people prefer to limit (or eliminate entirely) fats, sugar, etc.

But there is a time and place for some high-calorie snacks. In moderation, they're all right.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    there is just no winning on this website:

if I were to eat only fruit and veggies I's get lambasted for not getting enough protein and fat in my diet, then if I put oil on my salad, somebody else pipes up saying that is junk food ... sigh ... I might just have Burger King for dinner and save myself the hassle ... hmmm double whopper xl :blushing:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of trying to change this website, which will be a frustrating, losing battle for you, why don't you just find another website that is more in agreement with your way of thinking/living?
    Change the website? I asked a question and that is changing the website? Wow. Just wow.

Dude. Don't try to pretend you're simply posting an innocent little question. You're all over the forums, preaching against the evils of various foods. All I'm trying to say is that you can save yourself some frustration by finding a more receptive audience.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Dude. Don't try to pretend you're simply posting an innocent little question. You're all over the forums, preaching against the evils of various foods. All I'm trying to say is that you can save yourself some frustration by finding a more receptive audience.
    It's not very frustrating. There are many receptive people. I always get private messages and friend requests from people who don't want to speak up among the vultures. I just put the haters, misinformed loudmouths, and close minded types on "ignore", so most of the negative responses i don't even see. It seems most of the negativity is coming from the same few people.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

It's not very frustrating. There are many receptive people. I always get private messages and friend requests from people who don't want to speak up among the vultures. I just put the haters, misinformed loudmouths, and close minded types on "ignore", so most of the negative responses i don't even see. It seems most of the negativity is coming from the same few people.
    Of course you do. Why would you want unbiased opinion when you know it all anyway. Saying dietary fat is junk food is pretty funny, even most vegans wouldn't buy into that tin foil hat piece of nonsense.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Junk food : Food that is thrown in the junk?
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd call it anything processed with trans-fat in it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There is no junk food, there is only food. Your overall diet can be healthy or unhealthy, individual foods in a vacuum cannot be.

Also, aren't you the guy who said add olives or avocados to a salad? So olives and avocados are good (wicked high level of sodium in olives, due to brining,) but olive oil and avocado oil are bad? Very strong logic...

hey hey hey now..don't go using that crazy logic on these threads now....!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Then why don't you create a group, and all of ya'll can go in there and talk about the various forms of fat/oil that ya'll don't like and that ya'll believe is junk. ??