How Do You Define "Junk Food"?

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of trying to change this website, which will be a frustrating, losing battle for you, why don't you just find another website that is more in agreement with your way of thinking/living?
    Change the website? I asked a question and that is changing the website? Wow. Just wow.

Dude. Don't try to pretend you're simply posting an innocent little question. You're all over the forums, preaching against the evils of various foods. All I'm trying to say is that you can save yourself some frustration by finding a more receptive audience.
    It's not very frustrating. There are many receptive people. I always get private messages and friend requests from people who don't want to speak up among the vultures. I just put the haters, misinformed loudmouths, and close minded types on "ignore", so most of the negative responses i don't even see. It seems most of the negativity is coming from the same few people.

You're so close-minded that you're willing to call anyone with a varying opinion misinformed? Seems legit. Hypocrites are hypocritical.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    On another thread, i called a meal with 64% of it's calories coming from refined fat: "junk food". The meal being named was a salad doused in oil. Some people are trying to claim that is not junk food, despite the high ratio of nutritionless fiberless refined fat, to actual food. Do you think drowning a 90 calorie salad in 250 calories of oil makes it junk food?

How do you define what is "junk food"?

I think the definition of junk food is something that adds calories to your diet with little, to no, nutrients, and i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals, unwanted hormones, pesticides, etc).

Websters defines it as: "food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar"

Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation."

What's your definition?
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is refined oil, certainly not junk, far from it. What kind of oil was it. There are many foods that ARE junk and are low in calories; that is why a calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another.

Probably need to clarify what type of oil it was... may very well have been junk food if it was "junk" oil
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Junk food : Food that is thrown in the junk?

That works for me - that would be cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and peppers, can't stand them.

I tend to avoid (but don't get paranoid about it):
    Trans fats as there's legitimate concerns.
    Low cal or low fat options as they often taste worse or contain bulking agents like gums with no nutritional value.
    Artificial sweeteners as I don't like the taste of most of them, don't have a sweet tooth and prefer to use sugar if I do want sweetness.

Trying to label oil as unhealthy is about the daftest thing I've seen on here for a while - avocado, olives, nuts, peanuts, oily fish.....
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You seem to be under the erroneous impression that oils and fats are 'bad' for health.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Junk food : Food that is thrown in the junk?

That works for me - that would be cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and peppers, can't stand them.

I tend to avoid (but don't get paranoid about it):
    Trans fats as there's legitimate concerns.
    Low cal or low fat options as they often taste worse or contain bulking agents like gums with no nutritional value.
    Artificial sweeteners as I don't like the taste of most of them, don't have a sweet tooth and prefer to use sugar if I do want sweetness.

Trying to label oil as unhealthy is about the daftest thing I've seen on here for a while - avocado, olives, nuts, peanuts, oily fish.....

Agreed with everything above including the cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and peppers
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    What's your definition?

Dunno. WTF is "refined fat"?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of trying to change this website, which will be a frustrating, losing battle for you, why don't you just find another website that is more in agreement with your way of thinking/living?
    Change the website? I asked a question and that is changing the website? Wow. Just wow.

Dude. Don't try to pretend you're simply posting an innocent little question. You're all over the forums, preaching against the evils of various foods. All I'm trying to say is that you can save yourself some frustration by finding a more receptive audience.
    It's not very frustrating. There are many receptive people. I always get private messages and friend requests from people who don't want to speak up among the vultures. I just put the haters, misinformed loudmouths, and close minded types on "ignore", so most of the negative responses i don't even see. It seems most of the negativity is coming from the same few people.

Misinformed you say? So inform us. You have been asked to back up your opinions with some kind of evidence by a number of people and you never do. I am 100% genuinely curious as to why you are so vehemently against olive oil as I have never come across it before even from vegan friends. I grow olives, they are inedible fresh from the tree. They either have to be cured in brine for weeks or cold pressed for the oil. So tell me where you get this information from, publicly so that we can all be informed. Sources please
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    High sugar content. Hydrogenated oil content! Trans fat content. GMO content. High Salt content, and Milky Way bars....I prefer reeses myself;)
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm junk food to me ...is something that does not benefit my nutrition ....snickers yes high cal sugars fat ...but if the micros /macros have been met and I'm done for they day why not ....canned cheese , I would think this was only meant to be thrown away along with spam ( sorry spam lovers) ...those sugar little peanut marshmallow things, yeah they look like a peanut but nope ...JUNK , salad is never junk , it's what you put on it that makes it high calorie or an excellent choice for the day ....olive oil is not junk , it contains good fats that some of us actually NEED at the end of the day , I'm always low on fat ....so basically junk food TO ME is something so processed it can't even be identified in a food pyramid any longer ! That's when the definition of healthy and healthIER come in ;) stepping off my soap box now ....
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    this question coming from the guy trying to demonize soda (in any form) despite what medical opinions are.

oy vey.

i'm learning to take every stupid this this guy says with a grain of salt. speaking of salt -- nomnomnom.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it's "junk," then it's not food. Ergo, food is NOT junk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP, I think it's great that you found something that works for you. Realize though, that what works for you is not necessarily what is going to work for everyone always nor is it necessary for everyone always. Also realize that what works for you now may not be what works for you 10 years from now. Many diverse cultures thrive on many diverse diets... know that.
    Great advice. For all of us.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

What category would you put me in? Out of curiosity. I DONT agree with you about olive oil (nor the premise behind it), but I do try to build my diet around nutritious whole foods.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    On another thread, i called a meal with 64% of it's calories coming from refined fat: "junk food". The meal being named was a salad doused in oil. Some people are trying to claim that is not junk food, despite the high ratio of nutritionless fiberless refined fat, to actual food. Do you think drowning a 90 calorie salad in 250 calories of oil makes it junk food?

Throw some bacon, eggs, and avocado on there and that sounds like my kind of salad. Heck, needs moar fat. 70% calories from fat is good.
    How do you define what is "junk food"?

I think the definition of junk food is something that adds calories to your diet with little to no nutrients, and i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals, unwanted hormones, pesticides, etc).

What's your definition?

That's a good definition. It also is exactly what the salad with oil dressing is not. If it was just lettuce, it probably isn't as rich in micronutrients as a nice serving of fried beef tripe/liver/tongue, but if it's got some spinach and tomatoes and olives, fresh herbs like basil/dill/mint/thyme, some sliced mango/strawberries or lemon juice, garlic or ginger, sunflower seeds or crushed walnuts... It's probably pretty freakin' healthy. Definitely fits into the low-calorie lifestyle to lose weight for MFP (90 salad+250 oil=340) that's less than a third of the recommended 1200 calories/day. It's "clean" if you're doing that. It's Paleo, if you're doing that.

Junk food would be, as other people said, Little Debbie (Micronutrients in a serving of Swiss Rolls: 0% A, 0% C, 0% Calcium, 4% Iron), beer and other alcohols. Macronutritional calories largely devoid of any micronutritional value.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Usually food with little or low nutrition value. That said, it's not evil to eat if one is getting in their correct amount macro/micro nutrients along with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Am I a hater or a misinformed loudmouth?

andy-fingers-crossed-o.gif
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Usually food with little or low nutrition value. That said, it's not evil to eat if one is getting in their correct amount macro/micro nutrients along with it.

IDEA Fitness member

I also go by the philosophy that "pleasure" is a "nutrient". What kind of life are we living if we never allow ourselves pleasure. You can make yourself sick in the name of health...
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those folks who replied about salad oil. I guess I'm just not getting why salad oil is junk. I typically use extra virgin olive oil. Not junk imho. Especially in a nice oil and vinegar recipe.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=132

And I guess I figure the alternatives can be much "worse"? Dunno. Shrug.:flowerforyou:

Edited: Dictionaries usually have several definitions.

Here's another
    Junk food: food that is high in calories but low in nutritional content

Oil and vinegar dressing, by that definition? Not junk food.

ps: My salad would never be 90 calories before the dressing. Never.:smile:

^^This.....I thought that olive oil had all the stuff the body liked....our bodies need fat correct?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I also go by the philosophy that "pleasure" is a "nutrient". What kind of life are we living if we never allow ourselves pleasure. You can make yourself sick in the name of health...
    Or like the OP make others sick from all the ranting against how others prefer to eat.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member