Just started KETO diet

Options
124»

Replies

• gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Best advice from someone who has been doing Low Carb for over 2 years now with 150 pound weight loss.... Don't ask for advice on here. Get on Facebook and find Low carb and Keto groups. People there will help and have tons of recipes and links to sites with recipes so you won't be stuck on the same low carbs foods every day.

thanks, I have done that as well! A lot of haters on here! LOL
  • gailygail99
    Options
    You can do it! The first week can be Hell, but it gets better. However, you need to realize that the first 10ish lbs will be water weight, but the rest will be fat. I started Keto at the end of July and as of now, I'm one lb away from 30 lbs lost overall! I look better, I feel better and I love this new eating plan! Just remember to drink more water, make sure your fat is high enough and your protein is at a median.

Thank you! I need to lower my protein by a bit cause i end up with too much. But I try to keep my ratios at 65/30/5 but it is hard to get all that fat in sometimes. But I am def trying!! Good luck!!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    If you find it personally sustainable, then go for it. However, I would caution you to keep in the back of your mind that, if you intend to switch back to a mixed diet when you hit your weight goal, you may lack the habitual discipline needed to keep the weight off.

Aside from that, good luck!!

Thank you. I dont think that after doing this I will ever go back to eating as many carbs as I did before. I lost 120lbs on my own with diet and exercise in 15months. I know all about discipline! I partially tore my achilles this year and that sat me back big time. Once I drop maybe 20lbs I plan on hopefully being motivated to get back to the gym. I will never be able to work out like I used to, but I will go back. I know I will! I am using this to get me going in the right direction. Seeing the scale move, is a motivator for me!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    Just started the keto diet. Lost a ton of weight a couple of years ago (100+ lbs) and gained about 40lbs back. Need to start something that shows me immediate results. I eat too many carbs anyway, so I am trying Keto. I have seen it work for a couple of my friends. I am on day #3 of 20g or less carbs. Added in a multi vitamin. Trying to keep my ratios at 65 fat/30 protein/5 carb. It is alot harder than you would think to eat all that fat. Any Keto beginners out there? Or Keto vets to give advice, feel free! Thanks!

Check out this lovely lady's blog: www.xhelensarahx.com

/website http://xhelensarahx.com/aboutketo

Lots of great Keto advice.

thank you, i will!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    Keep going, you are on the right track. I have been on MFP for a long time listening and following the traditional (crap) advice, and my weight went up and down lcycling like crazy, and felt so hungry all day. Discovered the LCHF diet and it has been non stop weight decline and I'm not voraciously hungry anymore, and feel so much healthier. My doctor is amazed at my numbers. Keep going!

thank you! I have been up and down this last year or so too and been on MFP for a very long time. I have heard it all. Good luck to you too!!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, Reality_is_hard, so nice for you to take the time out of your day to bestow your wisdom. What an honor.

By the way, just took a peek at your public food diary today and noticed you had a 7-eleven meal for breakfast, Mc Donald's for lunch and Panda Express for dinner.

OMG, genius. Shall I follow your advice instead?

LMAO :)
  • gailygail99
    Options
    You want to lose extreme weight fast that's what u get , Extreme weight put back on . Is this the lifestyle you want

Eat a balanced diet , count your calories and you will lose just as much weight and keep it off because you wont be restricted

Been there done that...looking to try something new to see what happens. I ate way too many carbs anyway. I wont stay at 20g of carbs forever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, Reality_is_hard, so nice for you to take the time out of your day to bestow your wisdom. What an honor.

By the way, just took a peek at your public food diary today and noticed you had a 7-eleven meal for breakfast, Mc Donald's for lunch and Panda Express for dinner.

OMG, genius. Shall I follow your advice instead?
    You've lost 12 pounds. I also eat fast food regularly, don't eat low carb at all, and I've lost 70 pounds and maintained it for 2 and a half years. Your pathetic attempts at insulting someone based on their food choices just reveals the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about. Low carb is a personal preference. It's not magic. Out of those 12 pounds you've lost so far, most of it is just water weight from carb reduction, not fat loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You want to lose extreme weight fast that's what u get , Extreme weight put back on . Is this the lifestyle you want

Eat a balanced diet , count your calories and you will lose just as much weight and keep it off because you wont be restricted

Been there done that...looking to try something new to see what happens. I ate way too many carbs anyway. I wont stay at 20g of carbs forever.
    If you plan on cutting carbs temporarily, expect to lose a lot of water weight initially; expect to also regain the water weight when you add the carbs back in. That's basic biology. Nothing wrong with a low carb diet if that's your personal preference, just know that changing carb intake drastically changes water weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers.

I just posted my before and after pics of losing 45 pounds over the course of the last 16-17 weeks in the success stories forum.

About 80% of the period has been pure keto (typically around 55-60% fat, 45% protein, and 5-10% carbs, and the other 20% a bit higher carb (~20%). I am trying to maintain/increase my LBM while losing the fat, hence my protein levels.
    Increasing LBM while keto is extremely unlikely and difficult. Keto usually ranks very low for bulking, because you need glycogen for optimal strength training performance, and glycogen only comes from eating carbs.

Not true.
    With the carbs this person is ingesting, glycogen stores should be normal. For optimal strength training, which means, I presume, a person is gaining strength, you must create a condition where the body can make PROTEIN and not necessarily glycogen. Fat metabolism creates a state of stress where cortisol levels and growth hormone levels are relatively high. That is good. You need amino acids, growth hormone, and insulin to make muscle protein.
    I totally believe that this person is gaining strength on this KETO diet, though I have never heard of that diet specifically.
    A nice summary of the physiology behind these things in Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day."
    The entire point of a ketogenic diet is glycogen depletion. If glycogen stores are normal, then the body isn't in ketosis, because it's using glycogen for it's glucose needs. Glycogen is needed for optimal performance in the gym (fat oxidation is not fast enough to keep up with the intensity of strength training.) Also, carbs are an essential part of IGF-1 and HGH production.

Finally, gaining strength is not the same as adding mass. Most strength gains are neurological in nature.

Gaining strength and increasing muscle mass is EXACTLY the same thing.
    The only way you can gain strength is through an increase in muscle mass.
    We are talking strength, and not endurance.
    Look in Guyton's textbook of medical physiology.
    And glycogen levels do NOT have to be depleted for the fat burning effect to take hold. Probably they only have to fall 50-60% of baseline to kick in the metabolic shift.
    There is still plenty of glycogen reserve to use in an emergency.

All these biologic processes are going on all the time, it is the relative rates of them that determine whether primarily fats or carbs are being burned.

When people undergo a prolonged fast, does that mean their glucose and glycogen levels are depleted? No. The body MAKES glucose from labile amino acids, and glycogen stores are stabilized at an acceptable level.

Well that was a quick way of demonstrating that you know nothing at all.

That's what we need more of on this board. Personal insults. thanks for posting!
    I think the point was, you can easily gain strength without gaining mass. It's how people get stronger while eating at a deficit. *Most* people do not have significant muscle mass gains while eating at a deficit, but they can have a dramatic increase in strength.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers.

I just posted my before and after pics of losing 45 pounds over the course of the last 16-17 weeks in the success stories forum.

About 80% of the period has been pure keto (typically around 55-60% fat, 45% protein, and 5-10% carbs, and the other 20% a bit higher carb (~20%). I am trying to maintain/increase my LBM while losing the fat, hence my protein levels.
    All diets work if you maintain a deficit. I'm not against this diet, I just mentioned that it's mostly unsustainable for the vast majority of people over a lifetime. Losing weight is the easy part.

Why is it unsustainable?
    Pizza.

I don't care for pizza. Also, keto pizza exists.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb diet, but I don't think it's good to go too low! You need carbs to get though your day, but it's also about the carbs that you take in. I get most of my carbs from green leafy vegetables, minimal fruit, and sweet potatoes. I make it my mission for most of my diet to be veggies. I have been doing this for about a month now and have lost about 9lbs without any effort or really counting calories.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    There are some great Keto support forums here on MFP.

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

I've followed keto for 15 months and feel great (70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs). Good luck!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    There are some great Keto support forums here on MFP.

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

I've followed keto for 15 months and feel great (70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs). Good luck!

thank you! i will check them out now!