Are you a douche if you work out on Thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

Guess I'm a douche!

I can't wait for the 1.5 hour Combat class my gym is having! Plus I intend to lift and maybe even run a mile. I might skip the combat though.. or might not.. the rolls only take 20 minutes or so to make.. lol

I wish I had signed up for a turkey trot.. but I didn't.. I'll have to just work out.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am planning on working out. I have no excuse, since I have an elliptical, an exercise bike and a library of workout dvd's at home. Actually, this thanksgiving, I am thankful to workout--because last year I was too busy being fat and lacked the confidence and self -esteem to do a lot of the things I do now. Thankful I am not the person that I was 5 months ago when I started this journey!!
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am going to!:laugh:
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't think so! I'll be at the gym in the morning! I like to stick to my lifting schedule if at all possible, and I'll have all day to cook after so why not go? :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I've worked out on EVERY holiday for the past 30 years. Am I a douche? Subjective..................................but at least I look good doing it. My workouts don't interfere with my family gatherings, so I don't see how it's bad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday, and I lift on Thursdays. I'll be home from my workout before anyone else is up anyway..... Actually I'm lifting then going to play hoops, will still be back before anyone gets up.

Double douche?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's a Thursday...Thursday's are lifting days. I was going to lift tonight but decided to just stick with my usual schedule and just get up early and lift. I'm going to put that turkey dinner to good use tomorrow.

I do not go out of my way to do some unplanned/unscheduled workout though.
  • hicksang121
    hicksang121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nope...it's a Thursday and Thursday's are a workout day...
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have no family anywhere near me and a deployed husband.
    So my thanksgiving will be spent at the gym and cleaning.
    haha.

I guess I will be giving thanks for the ability to work out.
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm running 10 miles because I am on a training plan for a half marathon. I enjoy running, I don't feel like i should cut it out just because it's not politically correct to work out on Thanksgiving.

It certainly wouldn't hurt a lot of people I know to hit the pavement beforehand, just sayin'.

Well said. Be yourself!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Not a douche! I am actually jealous, my brother and sister in law, will get their run in, during the AM. I will be in the car, driving several hours to get to their house.

If family needs and obligations are met, it is totally fine. In fact it is a wonderful example to the young adults in our family.
  • koos22
    koos22 Posts: 22
    Options
    No! I'm excited to have a heavy leg day tomorrow, so I won't feel so guilty for eating a pound of turkey! :)
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    nope, unless you do it while everyone else is eating.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, I worked out on Christmas Day last year before headed over to the family dinner and will do the same this year.

So long as you working out doesn't inconvenience anyone; it shouldn't be an issue.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a couple times worked out on a major holiday but as I got older I have realized just to relax and enjoy yourself. Watch football and eat like Artie Lang at an all you can eat buffet. And the next day double up on your workout.

I don't get 'douche' out of the choice to workout over not workout. It's just a choice and I don't think it need to be labeled as right/wrong or good/bad. Lots of people run in Turkey Trot races with their friends and family. My husband and I go for a morning hike before eating our big meal. When I was growing up, my entire family went for a post-dinner walk together. These physical activities are as much a part of the tradition as the food and the football.

Do what you want and don't judge. :-)
  • darays1953
    Options
    I think it is fun for a 60 yr old mom and my 20 yr old son to do an hour Turkey Burn (zumba) at 8:00 AM !
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is open 5AM to 1PM on Thanksgiving (so employees can be with their families for dinner and other activities). I certainly will be there first thing in the morning bright and early for my usual workout. After that will spend the bulk of the middle part of the day helping the wife prepare our contribution (including the turkey) ready to take to our in-laws for the big feast. I won't be patronizing any other business on that day.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I have a couple times worked out on a major holiday but as I got older I have realized just to relax and enjoy yourself. Watch football and eat like Artie Lang at an all you can eat buffet. And the next day double up on your workout.

I don't get 'douche' out of the choice to workout over not workout. It's just a choice and I don't think it need to be labeled as right/wrong or good/bad. Lots of people run in Turkey Trot races with their friends and family. My husband and I go for a morning hike before eating our big meal. When I was growing up, my entire family went for a post-dinner walk together. These physical activities are as much a part of the tradition as the food and the football.

Do what you want and don't judge. :-)

What a sweet tradition! :happy:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If you're in charge of dinner, maybe.

I'm fixing dinner today and I'll go for a hike, but it'll be while stuff is the smoker and I can get away without burning anything. lol I have gone on a hike every thanksgiving since I was a little kid. Back then it was to get away from the relatives, but now it's just for the peace and quiet in the woods by myself.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS work out on Thanksgiving! I am trying to get a workout in around 3 am tomorrow before I drive to Louisiana. Nothing wrong with working out on Turkey day!