Why Dieting is the Worst Way to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Really interesting article. I like how he discusses the differences between losing weight with a deficit and transforming your body through lifting.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train. Cutting calories has to be done by everyone who's goal is to cut before they build muscle. While the article makes some strong points, there are people who are taking years off their life by eating too much food.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Really interesting article. I like how he discusses the differences between losing weight with a deficit and transforming your body through lifting.

I do as well. I liked how he part about the muscle loss epidemic. I wish more women would realize the importance of strength training especially as they get older. Not everyone has to 'lift heavy' however a strength/resistance training should be incorporated into every routine.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Ah, more gymrat/"nutrition" evangelism. Fail. :huh:

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train. Cutting calories has to be done by everyone who's goal is to cut before they build muscle. While the article makes some strong points, there are people who are taking years off their life by eating too much food.

:huh:
  • jdaley90
    Options

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:

I'm sure you do look amazing but did you ever wonder if and how much LBM you sacrificed in the process if you didn't track it?
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You might look okay without resistance training, but I know that when I lost a lot of weight (male) without it, I lost a lot of LBM and looked like a skinny-fat stickman. To each their own, but there is nothing wrong with preaching weight training. Sure, you can drop numbers without it, but you could also lose weight via amputation--but no one recommends that either.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Very occasional, short-term diets work for me. I've never been overweight. I am healthy. I also believe in exercise that includes some resistance training, but I don't have a regular fitness plan.

The key to weight loss is calorie reduction. If you eat right and do the right exercise, you don't lose lots of muscle during a diet.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

if that's you in your profile pic, you look a little sickly.
    i keed i keed.

you bolded "amazing"...let's see it. srs.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

i keed i keed.

Burden of proof
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this. I love eating ALL kinds of foods and A LOT of them and I'm transforming myself and am stronger than I have ever been.

It really wasn't until I figured out how not to diet and how to LIVE that I became successful in getting healthy.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the term "diet" in association to losing weight. People maintaining or even gaining weight are on a "diet", but this is what we have grown accustomed to.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I like how he clarifies that 'The word "diet" was supposed to simply describe the way a person eats.' That is how I have always thought of a "diet". Shame its meaning has become so obscure
  • Siansonea
    Options
    I'm sure you do look amazing but did you ever wonder if and how much LBM you sacrificed in the process if you didn't track it?

Well, since there's less of me to cart around, I don't really need as much "LBM" to do that carting around, now do I? And you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm "skinny fat"—whatever that's supposed to mean. I am able to walk, talk, and do everything else just as well as I could before I lost weight, so if I lost a bit of muscle mass in the process, I don't miss it. :drinker:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I do like how in the article the writter states it as "Nutritional Structure". I like that term more.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    saving for later :)
  • Siansonea
    Options
    You might look okay without resistance training, but I know that when I lost a lot of weight (male) without it, I lost a lot of LBM and looked like a skinny-fat stickman. To each their own, but there is nothing wrong with preaching weight training. Sure, you can drop numbers without it, but you could also lose weight via amputation--but no one recommends that either.

Ha! Now we're equating a simple lifestyle change (calorie deficit) that can lead to a vast health improvement by simply dropping the weight with elective amputation. Well that escalated quickly. :huh:

I know it's hyperbole, but really, get a grip.
  • jdaley90
    Options
    I do like how in the article the writter states it as "Nutritional Structure". I like that term more.

I agree!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Well, since there's less of me to cart around, I don't really need as much "LBM" to do that carting around, now do I? And you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm "skinny fat"—whatever that's supposed to mean. I am able to walk, talk, and do everything else just as well as I could before I lost weight, so if I lost a bit of muscle mass in the process, I don't miss it. :drinker:

Well aren't you a peach
  • Siansonea
    Options

i keed i keed.

What? I'm just a little pale, that's all. :smokin: