Why Dieting is the Worst Way to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you do look amazing but did you ever wonder if and how much LBM you sacrificed in the process if you didn't track it?

Well, since there's less of me to cart around, I don't really need as much "LBM" to do that carting around, now do I? And you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm "skinny fat"—whatever that's supposed to mean. I am able to walk, talk, and do everything else just as well as I could before I lost weight, so if I lost a bit of muscle mass in the process, I don't miss it. :drinker:

Well aren't you a peach

No, not really. I'm actually kind of a b___. I don't even eat peaches, too natural and organic. :sick:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you do look amazing but did you ever wonder if and how much LBM you sacrificed in the process if you didn't track it?

Well, since there's less of me to cart around, I don't really need as much "LBM" to do that carting around, now do I? And you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm "skinny fat"—whatever that's supposed to mean. I am able to walk, talk, and do everything else just as well as I could before I lost weight, so if I lost a bit of muscle mass in the process, I don't miss it. :drinker:

lol. I don't think you understand the definition of "skinny fat" or the importance of LBM. I would also be interested to know if your body fat % has decreased any from your weight loss or if it was all LBM.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Well aren't you a peach

No, not really. I'm actually kind of a b___. I don't even eat peaches, too natural and organic. :sick:

Whatever works for you, so long as you're healthy and there are no long-term effects.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train.
    Care to clarify on this? I have seen obese people weight train. They can not do the same exercises, but there is modifications they can use. Unless you are talking obese people who are unable to move....If so, then I do see your point.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The article is being pointlessly pedantic. If you are watching/tracking what you eat - which the article advocates - then you are dieting, no matter what else you call it, even if that what-else is "nutrition program".
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

what about things further down the line?

osteoporosis?
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cannibaldoll
    cannibaldoll Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Agreed- If your diet has an expiration date, its not going to be sustainable.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Well, since there's less of me to cart around, I don't really need as much "LBM" to do that carting around, now do I? And you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm "skinny fat"—whatever that's supposed to mean. I am able to walk, talk, and do everything else just as well as I could before I lost weight, so if I lost a bit of muscle mass in the process, I don't miss it. drinker

osteoporosis?

Deficit eating + no exercise + menopause = osteoporosis, cardiac issues, unwanted fat due to hormonal imbalance. Your choice.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train. Cutting calories has to be done by everyone who's goal is to cut before they build muscle. While the article makes some strong points, there are people who are taking years off their life by eating too much food.

Glad I always realized that wasn't true.

Resistance training is important. It made it easier for my body to support it's own weight, even as I lost weight. Strengthening my legs has led to greater mobility, which has led to making everything about my life easier.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You might look okay without resistance training, but I know that when I lost a lot of weight (male) without it, I lost a lot of LBM and looked like a skinny-fat stickman. To each their own, but there is nothing wrong with preaching weight training. Sure, you can drop numbers without it, but you could also lose weight via amputation--but no one recommends that either.

Dang... Guess I shouldn't have cut that foot off... :embarassed:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I sense this will go interesting places.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train.
    Care to clarify on this? I have seen obese people weight train. They can not do the same exercises, but there is modifications they can use. Unless you are talking obese people who are unable to move....If so, then I do see your point.

I am interested in the clarification too. I am still considered obese and I weight train. Heck my cousin who is 363lbs weight trains as well.

I found the article to be an interesting read to say the least.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a very good article. Some type of resistance training is good at any age and I just recently saw the results of a study for older people who started doing resistance training. It helps to increase bone density and can help people avoid things such as osteoporosis. I'm in!! :happy:
  • Siansonea
    Options

osteoporosis?

I'm already pretty far down the line, I'm old as f__. So far so good, I think genetics plays a much larger role than anything else in that regard. Plus, I eat plenty or protein and fat 'n such in all the junk food I throw down my gullet, so I don't think I need to worry. :bigsmile:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

osteoporosis?

I'm already pretty far down the line, I'm old as f__. So far so good, I think genetics plays a much larger role than anything else in that regard. Plus, I eat plenty or protein and fat 'n such in all the junk food I throw down my gullet, so I don't think I need to worry. :bigsmile:
    hahah! Nice:) Living worry free!:wink:
  • Siansonea
    Options

Well, since there's less of me to cart around, I don't really need as much "LBM" to do that carting around, now do I? And you're acting like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm "skinny fat"—whatever that's supposed to mean. I am able to walk, talk, and do everything else just as well as I could before I lost weight, so if I lost a bit of muscle mass in the process, I don't miss it. drinker

osteoporosis?

Deficit eating + no exercise + menopause = osteoporosis, cardiac issues, unwanted fat due to hormonal imbalance. Your choice.

Your arithmetic seems to be missing some variables. Like genetics, for one thing. It also presupposes that because I don't exercise that I'm a slow-moving slug that lurches from chair to chair. I'm actually pretty healthy for an ancient crone. :bigsmile:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

osteoporosis?

I um. ok then. it honestly scares me that you give out as much advice as you do. I have no problem with your diet and exercise habits (or lack thereof), but the fact that you encourage others to follow the same practices is alarming. best of luck to you though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The article is being pointlessly pedantic. If you are watching/tracking what you eat - which the article advocates - then you are dieting, no matter what else you call it, even if that what-else is "nutrition program".

I agree. I love Tom Venuto but 'dieting/nutrition program/whatever' does improve one's fitness, too. Unless you don't consider going from obese to a healthy weight to be part of 'fitness'. Regardless of the semantics, weight loss almost invariably improves health in this country.

I have no fear of osteoporosis but I would like to be able to squat at age 80. Getting stuck in the tub or on the toilet would be a drag.

I don't know if some people are 'too big to weight train' but I think they're doing some 'weight training' every time they get up off the bed or couch. I mean, if you're 100 lbs. overweight, you probably don't need a barbell on your shoulder to make lunges worthwhile.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train. Cutting calories has to be done by everyone who's goal is to cut before they build muscle. While the article makes some strong points, there are people who are taking years off their life by eating too much food.

Mmm. I disagree. I weight train and I'm fairly big. I also weight trained with a partner for a while... she was morbidly obese. I don't know her weight, but since she was much larger than me, I'm guessing she was close to 300. She was (is) an amazing woman and she lifted heavier than I could. She did have to make some adjustments- Squats for example- she couldn't go into a full squat- but otherwise... she was weight training just fine and was an inspiration. Too bad she's in Colorado and I'm here.