4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Options

Replies

• LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hahaha totally doable- I've already promised myself at least 3 pieces of pie (we're making pumpkin and pecan). Our Thanksgiving may not be as bad as some though... We're making a lot of veggie sides (best friend the vegetarian is coming), so roasted brussels sprouts, glazed carrots, butternut squash soup, homemade cranberry and orange chutney, etc. But I'll still have my fair share of mashed potatoes, ham (I don't eat turkey) and fresh bread!

ETA: How could I forget wine and bourbon-spiked apple cider?!? There will be plenty of that too :drinker:
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    i just log in ONLY 3 items for tomorrow so far and its 1400 calories,
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that in prior years, I'd have been sitting around 3000 cals for the day. We make pretty much the same things every year (family tradition), and I eat pretty much the same thing every year.

No breakfast.

Lunch: around 4 oz of turkey, a slice of jellied cranberry (yes, I do prefer it over homemade, and we do serve both), about 1/2 c. each of potato stuffing, corn pudding, and pineapple bake. Maybe 2 tbsp of gravy for the stuffing - I hate to have it too wet. A dinner roll or three, no butter. Good rolls don't need it :) Dessert is always a slice of pumpkin pie with Cool Whip.

Dinner: turkey sandwich, just meat, a bit of mayo, tomato, and bread. Maybe another slice of pumpkin pie.

This year, I'll probably be around the same. I'm planning on starting with the turkey and brussel sprouts (new this year) and branching out from there, so I'll probably eat fewer cals from the main meal. But, I'm baking a chocolate espresso pecan pie (w/ ice cream) and a lemon tart to go with the usual pumpkin pie. And I will be trying them ALL. Maybe I'll be too stuffed to have more than a sliver. But I'm guessing not :devil:

ETA: Fortunately, I don't drink my calories, or it'd be worse.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

Lol me too! Latkes alone are 1200 calories! (Hanukkah food) Plus I'm planning 2 pieces of pie so 800 right there.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options

Lol me too! Latkes alone are 1200 calories! (Hanukkah food) Plus I'm planning 2 pieces of pie so 800 right there.

lmao!! we going to be some fat *kitten* tomorrow, i just added the pecan pie, its at 1700 now lmao!!! ill be over 4,000 for sure
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

lmao!! we going to be some fat *kitten* tomorrow, i just added the pecan pie, its at 1700 now lmao!!! ill be over 4,000 for sure

My 10 mile run in the morning won't even make a dent in my calorie count tomorrow lol
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I would think that my Thanksgiving meal will be significantly below 4500 calories (which is more than double my normal calories for the day.) Helps that I don't drink wine I suppose.

Going to the in-laws, we're providing the turkey and rolls, they're supplying the rest of the sides). I intend to keep portions small, and limit the pie (pumpkin which is better than some of them) to one single piece. Will be hitting the gym first thing in the morning (open from 5AM to 1PM) to get a healthy start to the day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm English so we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but what exactly do you guys eat for it that adds up to so many calories?

I logged all my food on Christmas Day last year, just to see what it came to, and it was about 2500 calories. This year I won't be logging :smile:
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can believe that.

Last year, I ate 2,124 total, almost entirely in beer and pie O_o

I was hanging out at a ski resort, though. We weren't spending much time sitting around. I could easily eat 4,500 at a family gathering where we sit there and eat dinner, snacks, and mixed drinks for 6 hours. Adding up the last Thanksgiving I spent with my family, I ate at least 3,800, mostly in desserts and heavy mixed drinks. And that's only what I remember eating, 5 years later - lol
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry :sad:
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm English so we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but what exactly do you guys eat for it that adds up to so many calories?

I logged all my food on Christmas Day last year, just to see what it came to, and it was about 2500 calories. This year I won't be logging :smile:

Ha! I ate 2,700, too, last year, on Xmas.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Ha! I ate 2,700, too, last year, on Xmas.

For me, Christmas is easier to pack on the calories because of the candy. I can eat tons more candy than I ever would of pie.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

To be fair I eat 1800-2000 calories daily. 500 more would literally be a slice of pie.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

To be fair I eat 1800-2000 calories daily. 500 more would literally be a slice of pie.
    Yeah, I eat 1800-2000 per day too and lose weight consistently. I've pre-logged 3,000 calories for today, (just a treat/movies day, nothing to do with Thanksgiving, I'm Canadian) . At most, that's a 250-500 calorie surplus. Not much in the overall scheme of things. Christmas Day, I will probably eat double that and enjoy every bite without guilt. :drinker:
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Once, as a preteen, I spent Thanksgiving eating nothing but celery as I was in the middle of my food fear/disordered eating.

I won't be doing that again.

4500 at least.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

[/quote
    At the time I was eating 1200-1500 calories a day, so it was quite a bit more than usual. We don't really buy lots of chocolate and things. Dinner is just turkey, stuffing and veg, just like a normal roast dinner really. I had a mince pie and a glass of cava which added calories.

I'm pregnant this year, so I might treat myself lol. And obviously I won't be drinking.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I used that calculator:
    http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm

I think it is reasonable. My only issue is that you can only put in one serving of each item. Come on, who only has one glass of wine at Thanksgiving...

Mine clocked in at 1,800 for single servings of the foods I like and plan to eat. 2,500 is very doable for me for that meal. I'm ok with that.

Unfortunately we celebrate again on Saturday with my family so will be doing it all over again - the "it's only one day" logic doesn't quite hold true. Even "it's only two days" isn't bad but we also had Thanksgiving at work and at my son's school...
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options

My 10 mile run in the morning won't even make a dent in my calorie count tomorrow lol

LMFAO!!!!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I had close to 3000 calories yesterday. I don't find 4500 hard to believe for Thanksgiving.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Yeah, I eat 1800-2000 per day too and lose weight consistently. I've pre-logged 3,000 calories for today, (just a treat/movies day, nothing to do with Thanksgiving, I'm Canadian) . At most, that's a 250-500 calorie surplus. Not much in the overall scheme of things. Christmas Day, I will probably eat double that and enjoy every bite without guilt. :drinker:

Pretty much. 1800-200 calories gets me about a pound of weight loss a week, so I could get to 2500 and just maintaining. Not that I'm going to eat only that much (all the things!) but I can't 'see' 2500 as a lot.

But for someone eating less I suppose I could imagine where it seems daunting.