4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Options

Replies

• ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to bother logging. As long as it's
    not everyday, it ain't going to hurt me. Besides, I'm
    hosting, some of my wife's family is coming over, so
    alcohol is a must!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to eat between 4500 and 5000 calories on pretty much a daily basis before I started watching what I eat. For a single day, it's totally doable...especially if you're like me and you love craft beer. One good pint of craft beer is easily 300 calories right there.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you think 4500 calories is a crazy amount, you either are a very small person who can't fit food in their belly ( Sonya Thomas begs to differ), or the most common case which is you tend to under estimate the actual calories in your food portions.

So let me tell you how in a span of 6 hours during Thanksgiving I will easily reach 4500 calories.

I normally drink water almost exclusively, on Thanksgiving I will not and rather drink wine (I like to get fancy) , I will go through 3 bottles of Quady's Electra Muscat wine white and red. Feel free to judge me on drinking the fruity wine, it is magically delicious!

48460b.jpg

at 900 a pop that is 2700 calories alone right there.

Let's move on to the main meal:-

Dinner Roll, 1 small: 87 , x 8 = 696
    Cheesy Corn Bread: 96 x 2 = 192
    Turkey, roasted white meat, 4 ounces: 180 x 4 = 720
    Turkey, roasted dark meat, 4 ounces: 323 x 2 = 646
    Turkey Gravy, 1/4 cup: 50 x 2 = 100
    Stuffing, 1/2 cup: 190 x 3 = 570
    Mashed Potatoes, 1 cup: 230 x 2 = 460
    Green Bean Casserole, 1/2 cup: 110 x 2 = 220
    Cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup: 110 = Just kidding, it is gross to me!

So main meal turned out to 3604.

DESSERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate bourbon pecan pie! I make this bad boy from scratch, I normally make 3 of them because I'm upfront about one of them being totally mine and the family gets the other 2. Check Allrecipe they have a nice recipe for it.

Chocolate Bourbon pecan pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie: 650 x 3 = 1950
    Vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup: 140 x 1 = 140
    Crème fraiche, 1 tbsp: 50 x 3 = 150
    Apple Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie: 450 x 1 = 450

Desert is 2690.

exps83692_HCA2081250A10_19_5b.jpg

Total:
    Wine = 2700
    Meal = 3604
    Desert= 2690

Double or nothing?
    *Drops the Plate and walks away*

mic-drop.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I found another that posts foods and their calories and came up with 2486, http://projects.nytimes.com/qa/events/thanksgiving-help-line/question/8134 which is still an insane amount for a meal...

Six ounces is not what I would call a "generous" portion of turkey, in this context. The calorie content of the stuffing they used means either a low-cal stuffing, or an unusually small portion size. A half a cup of mashed potatoes is the second-helping portion size.

Etc etc etc.

No problem at all seeing an extended thanksgiving meal clocking in at 4500 calories.
  • twl900
    twl900 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if 4,500 is average for turkey day or what (imagine it would matter how things are prepared and that is sometimes a factor you can't control on this one day)...but I am damn excited regardless :wink:
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hah! 4500 is for amateurs; I could do that with breakfast, plenty of adult beverages, munchies throughout the day, and appetizers even before dinner is served.

Ha! this made me Lol. I think you are awesome ;)
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This all sounds crazy for someone who doesn't celebrate thanksgiving :P
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is what you make it. Really, eating isn't mandatory on thanksgiving. Of course, that doesn't make for a very good thanksgiving :laugh: Picking what you eat is good, eating as much or as little as you want is an okay thing to do. Of course you can restrict calories for thanksgiving, but I don't see a reason to do that. Its what you want.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    When I was 560 pounds I was eating over 10,000 calories a day and today I have spent the last year in maintenance at 4200 calories and I have no problems eating that daily..... I will easily surpass 4500 calories tomorrow without even trying....
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I can see it happening very easily people in general underestimate or forget about what they have eaten

^^This^^
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I plan on tracking my calories tomorrow..... the medic may need to know the proper dosage of drugs to bring me out of my carb coma!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My kinda guy. Not knowing what kind of butter or cream in each dish makes it hard to count correctly so screw it! Not gonna do it nor am I going to write a thread about how I have ruined my diet or OMG how do I get over my Thanksgiving calorie, et. al!

Enjoy the family time and move on. Or if you are like me, drink because it is family time and move on :drinker:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    If you think 4500 calories is a crazy amount, you either are a very small person who can't fit food in their belly ( Sonya Thomas begs to differ), or the most common case which is you tend to under estimate the actual calories in your food portions.

So let me tell you how in a span of 6 hours during Thanksgiving I will easily reach 4500 calories.

I normally drink water almost exclusively, on Thanksgiving I will not and rather drink wine (I like to get fancy) , I will go through 3 bottles of Quady's Electra Muscat wine white and red. Feel free to judge me on drinking the fruity wine, it is magically delicious!

48460b.jpg

at 900 a pop that is 2700 calories alone right there.

Let's move on to the main meal:-

Dinner Roll, 1 small: 87 , x 8 = 696
    Cheesy Corn Bread: 96 x 2 = 192
    Turkey, roasted white meat, 4 ounces: 180 x 4 = 720
    Turkey, roasted dark meat, 4 ounces: 323 x 2 = 646
    Turkey Gravy, 1/4 cup: 50 x 2 = 100
    Stuffing, 1/2 cup: 190 x 3 = 570
    Mashed Potatoes, 1 cup: 230 x 2 = 460
    Green Bean Casserole, 1/2 cup: 110 x 2 = 220
    Cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup: 110 = Just kidding, it is gross to me!

So main meal turned out to 3604.

DESSERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate bourbon pecan pie! I make this bad boy from scratch, I normally make 3 of them because I'm upfront about one of them being totally mine and the family gets the other 2. Check Allrecipe they have a nice recipe for it.

Chocolate Bourbon pecan pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie: 650 x 3 = 1950
    Vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup: 140 x 1 = 140
    Crème fraiche, 1 tbsp: 50 x 3 = 150
    Apple Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie: 450 x 1 = 450

Desert is 2690.

exps83692_HCA2081250A10_19_5b.jpg

Total:
    Wine = 2700
    Meal = 3604
    Desert= 2690

Double or nothing?
    *Drops the Plate and walks away*

mic-drop.gif
    Off topic, but is your chocolate bourbon pecan pie the same recipe as a Derby pie? I have never made one, but sell lots of bourbon for Derby pie lovers. Sounds so wonderful. :love:
  • Mr_Boy
    Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree that many people overindulge but I think you can have a great dinner and eat the foods you love without consuming a million calories. At my first thanksgiving this year I had just over 1000 calories in my 2 meals during the 4 hours I was at the in-laws. Which is half my calories for the day.
    A roast dinner is often quoted as 1000 calories and I'm sure you can get that to 1500-2000 if you have extra helpings. Dessert, 500-1000.

Given that one pint of beer is ~250 calories, as is a large glass of wine, you could very easily get another 1000 from booze. And don't forget soda!

A single chocolate from a box is generally ~75. A SMALL cookie is 75, a large one can be 300 (!)

Then you nibble on peanuts or sweets... if you have a day of gluttony rather than just a big meal then 5k is not really that surprising.

Although to the poster above... you drink 3 whole bottles of wine in a day?! Yikes!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The meal itself will not be high count for me - because we do SOOOOO much snacking!!!! We always go to my mother-in-laws (who I actually love and adore...who knew?). She puts the relish trays and cheese and crackers out at 9 a.m. She will also have 12 dozen cookies done up for snacking while watching the parade and later for the football game. THEN we eat the huge meal at 1 p.m. - and I just can't eat much at all at that point. THEN there will be apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and a chocolate silk pie. I will eat a slice of 2 of these pies around 4 (I can't even stuff it down after dinner). THEN she will bring out sandwich fixings later, as well as fruit salad and cherry-cheesecake dessert.

IT...WILL...BE...MAGICAL!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to hate 50% of Thanksgiving foods, I see how you don't eat 4500 calories on Thanksgiving day. But for those of us who love it, it's easy to do.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Ill attempt to try and watch my intake.........seriously, Ill try but again ,its Turkey day, and one day isnt going to bankrupt my health or goals

I will try to consume vegetables early, and keep my fingers crossed, ........Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    de96f61d-808e-4229-857a-4cb90eebbb0a_zpsa69fafa0.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think I'd have any problem racking up that many calories. I pretty much eat steadily all day!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Only 4500 calories? Damn rookies.