4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Options

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Two separate Turkey Day celebrations from last year, and I didn't even bother logging on the actual family Thanksgiving on Thursday last year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/HealthyBodySickMind?date=2012-11-23

TL;DR: 4160 for the day; 1118 and 1932 for "The Meals"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/HealthyBodySickMind?date=2012-11-16

TL;DR: 3323 for the day; 2307 for "The Meal"

And at the time I weighed a whole 110 lbs. People that are bigger than me can eat a whole lot more than that. I don't think 4500 is unreasonable for the the day or for "the meal".
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm English so we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but what exactly do you guys eat for it that adds up to so many calories?

I logged all my food on Christmas Day last year, just to see what it came to, and it was about 2500 calories. This year I won't be logging :smile:

To be fair I eat 1800-2000 calories daily. 500 more would literally be a slice of pie.
    Yeah, I eat 1800-2000 per day too and lose weight consistently. I've pre-logged 3,000 calories for today, (just a treat/movies day, nothing to do with Thanksgiving, I'm Canadian) . At most, that's a 250-500 calorie surplus. Not much in the overall scheme of things. Christmas Day, I will probably eat double that and enjoy every bite without guilt. :drinker:

Pretty much. 1800-200 calories gets me about a pound of weight loss a week, so I could get to 2500 and just maintaining. Not that I'm going to eat only that much (all the things!) but I can't 'see' 2500 as a lot.

But for someone eating less I suppose I could imagine where it seems daunting.
    Agree... With all the above.
    tumblr_mtsxy6YGTp1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    I plan on tracking my calories tomorrow..... the medic may need to know the proper dosage of drugs to bring me out of my carb coma!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I figure if you don't hit at least 4500 cals for the day then you weren't trying hard enough. Here's to seconds...and maybe thirds. As well as left overs.
  • Raider_fan217
    Raider_fan217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can limit the portion size on all of the tasty food pretty easily. It's the delicious seasonal beer that will kill me tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

But seriously.. 2 pieces of pie is happening.. in my world.. 1,000 calories blown right there.. I'm loving it.

LOL! If we were doing Turkey day with my side of the family, this would be me, because my mother makes killer pies. However, we're spending it with my in-laws, and they snack all day and then don't have room for dessert, so I'm baking sweet breads in lieu of aforementioned pie... although, I am bringing Hazelnut-Mocha tarts along, just in case...

For my part, the majority of my calories are going to come from alcohol. Because in-laws.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I could do 4500 easily.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to walk 20 miles. I will be walking the whole day of Thanksgiving.....hhhhmmmmmm....:laugh:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I can see that many calories for the whole day.

Breakfast: Big egg/bacon/cheese/mushroom scramble with toast: 670 cals (no hash browns or craziness here either!)
    Snacks/lunch: 2 deviled eggs, 1 oz potato chips and random veggies with dip, and 2 small cookies: 604 cals
    Dinner: Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, green beans with butter, and a buttered roll: 1075 cals
    Alcohol: 1 bottle red wine and 1 mimosa: 724 cals
    Desert: slice of pumpkin pie, small scoop of ice cream, and some whipped topping: 425
    Total: 3491 cals!

That is with only 1 roll, a relatively low cal pie choice, no sugary mixed drinks, no lunch, a reasonable serving of potato chips, no casseroles with dinner etc. See tomorrow's diary for more details. I logged the above menu just to see. This is close to what I will eat most likely.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I can eat 6,000 calories on a normal day... Thanksgiving is easy as hell.
  • Kyog
    Kyog Posts: 32
    Options
    Yeaah, was going to agree with the post a bit further up - we don't have thanksgiving in England, it's just Xmas we all overindulge at!

But one day won't do much damage, I wouldn't worry too much :) x
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I'll be happy if I stay under 8,576.

^^^THIS^^^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I bet my mom's amazing buttermilk rolls have AT LEAST 350 calories per roll, and I plan on having 2 for sure (These things are like...GOD in your mouth -- if you're a bread lover like me anyway!). And stuffing. YUM. Count me in. With gravy. mmmmmm...And the yams my grandma makes have 2 sticks of butter in them, not to mention all the sugar...and I am making the pies...pumpkin and cherry this year. Another 600 calories probably in desserts!

Yep. I will definitely eat at least 4500 calories tomorrow! And I don't care. It's eating like that everyday that gets you in trouble. I also plan on hitting the gym in the morning and doing at least an hour of intense cardio. :laugh:

I am, however, definitely saying NO to taking home any leftovers!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting Thanksgiving feast calculator http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm , I have no idea how accurate it is.

And here's one where there are pics of Thanksgiving plates full of food and you can guess the amount of calories.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/thanksgiving-calories_n_4298802.html

According to that calculator just turkey, stuffing. potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, 1 slice of pie with ice cream and a dinner roll with butter would put me at nearly 2000 calories. So throw in that mac and cheese, some greens, at least two more rolls and then seconds? 4500 is easy.

Yep. That little 5k I'm doing in the morning won't even come close to the calories that I'm going to be ingesting.

Thanksgiving is at my house. My cousin listed the desserts that she's made: pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate cream pie, and some sort of grape jelly tart thing. I will be trying some of each and every one. I mean, it would be rude not to, right?!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Yeaah, was going to agree with the post a bit further up - we don't have thanksgiving in England, it's just Xmas we all overindulge at!

But one day won't do much damage, I wouldn't worry too much :) x

Wait is that why we have an obesity crisis? Would everything be cool if we dropped thanksgiving OR christmas?
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hah! 4500 is for amateurs; I could do that with breakfast, plenty of adult beverages, munchies throughout the day, and appetizers even before dinner is served.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Hah! 4500 is for amateurs; I could do that with breakfast, plenty of adult beverages, munchies throughout the day, and appetizers even before dinner is served.

Back in my fat prime, I could drop 4500 calories a meal in a dining hall and still be hungry, no problem.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    What?

tumblr_m5gy1oBCg71rqq0c0o1_250.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I plan on tracking my calories tomorrow..... the medic may need to know the proper dosage of drugs to bring me out of my carb coma!

ha.. ditto.. actually I already tracked them.. lol
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I plan on staying at my calorie goal tomorrow. I'm starting my day by running a Turkey Trot 5k. My sister and I took over most of the side dishes and we are having lots of vegetables and make most of the dishes vegan. Believe it or not, this cuts a TON of calories when cooking! Even if I fail, I have Friday off and am going to try two new classes at my gym so hopefully that will make up for it. If you're really worried about it make some of the dishes yourself and make them healthful! I read an article yesterday about staying on track at holiday meals, here are the suggestions I can remember: 1. eat a salad before the meal 2. get one plate of food and do not go back for seconds 3. have one dessert, pick your favorite and don't try all the options 4. make a healthy side dish that you can fill your plate with, or bring a healthy dessert so you have something healthy to count on 5. go for a walk some time during the day

I totally agree that people should enjoy themselves but if I go into tomorrow thinking it's a wash I'm going to eat more horribly than if I at least try to be mindful. good luck to everyone attempting to stay focused tomorrow! :-)