4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the estimate is on the low side. Missing a zero or something.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yeah, watch out if you think pumpkin pies are lower in calories. You may run into a cook like me. I made what had to be a Paula Deen pumpkin pie. 450 calories a slice (1/8 of a normal sized pie). That's not counting the gallon of whipped cream that goes on top.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yeah, watch out if you think pumpkin pies are lower in calories. You may run into a cook like me. I made what had to be a Paula Deen pumpkin pie. 450 calories a slice (1/8 of a normal sized pie). That's not counting the gallon of whipped cream that goes on top.

My pie is in the oven right now. I made it from scratch with a sweet pumpkin from my own garden but that doesn't mean I didn't fill it full of delicious nutrition sparse calories. 1 cup of sugar, 16 oz of sweetened condensed milk... It's gonna be awesome.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options

My pie is in the oven right now. I made it from scratch with a sweet pumpkin from my own garden but that doesn't mean I didn't fill it full of delicious nutrition sparse calories. 1 cup of sugar, 16 oz of sweetened condensed milk... It's gonna be awesome.

Ooh, I'm jealous. Never made one from complete scratch - I've always used canned pumpkin. :(
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Oh trust me. Once I get my couple bottles of wine in...uhh I mean....bottles of sparkling water...I'll hit that quite nicely. Last year I watched my intake. This year, IDGAF cause I prepared over the past couple of weeks with my calories and will still be under my goal cals for the week.

Helloooo wine...water! I meant water! :tongue:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    4500 cals is nothing. Most people eat more than that everyday. It's easy. You eat more than you think you do. that's why you're here.

That's just silly. If "most people" ate more than 4500 calories every day, "most people" would be gaining 100-200 pounds a year, every year.
  • robinsondel
    Options
    I'll be happy if I stay under 8,576.

Same here! Before I started counting calories, 40 days ago, I'm sure ate that all the time. On Thanksgiving? Not a problem. But, I still have so much weight on, that MFP is telling me to eat 2750 to lose 2lbs a week, I usually keep it under 2,000 and sometimes 1,500, and that's not even counting my exercise calories that I never eat back. So, I'm not going to stress over 2 days out of the year. I plan on eating my full share of dressing(stuffing for you non-southerners) and that alone will be loaded with calories. So, I'm sure by the time I add in turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs and maybe even a slice of pie, I'll easily be over 5,000 for the day. I'm not sure about the pie though, while I do like sweets, I've never been bad to over indulge. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We used to eat breakfast, go to one Thanksgiving and then go to another. Drinking is a requirement for me to attend in-law events so there are some of my calories. Things add up very quickly, especially once you add in the five million desserts everyone seems to have and the snacks/appetizers people have out before the meal. No one eats only a single serving of anything at the parties I attend.

And luckily my mom adds calories to mushrooms by boiling them for me in butter. Mm.

I can't wait---even though I'm working tomorrow evening/night. :-/
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you think 4500 calories is a crazy amount, you either are a very small person who can't fit food in their belly ( Sonya Thomas begs to differ), or the most common case which is you tend to under estimate the actual calories in your food portions.

So let me tell you how in a span of 6 hours during Thanksgiving I will easily reach 4500 calories.

I normally drink water almost exclusively, on Thanksgiving I will not and rather drink wine (I like to get fancy) , I will go through 3 bottles of Quady's Electra Muscat wine white and red. Feel free to judge me on drinking the fruity wine, it is magically delicious!

48460b.jpg

at 900 a pop that is 2700 calories alone right there.

Let's move on to the main meal:-

Dinner Roll, 1 small: 87 , x 8 = 696
    Cheesy Corn Bread: 96 x 2 = 192
    Turkey, roasted white meat, 4 ounces: 180 x 4 = 720
    Turkey, roasted dark meat, 4 ounces: 323 x 2 = 646
    Turkey Gravy, 1/4 cup: 50 x 2 = 100
    Stuffing, 1/2 cup: 190 x 3 = 570
    Mashed Potatoes, 1 cup: 230 x 2 = 460
    Green Bean Casserole, 1/2 cup: 110 x 2 = 220
    Cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup: 110 = Just kidding, it is gross to me!

So main meal turned out to 3604.

DESSERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate bourbon pecan pie! I make this bad boy from scratch, I normally make 3 of them because I'm upfront about one of them being totally mine and the family gets the other 2. Check Allrecipe they have a nice recipe for it.

Chocolate Bourbon pecan pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie: 650 x 3 = 1950
    Vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup: 140 x 1 = 140
    Crème fraiche, 1 tbsp: 50 x 3 = 150
    Apple Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie: 450 x 1 = 450

Desert is 2690.

exps83692_HCA2081250A10_19_5b.jpg

Total:
    Wine = 2700
    Meal = 3604
    Desert= 2690

Double or nothing?
    *Drops the Plate and walks away*

mic-drop.gif
    Off topic, but is your chocolate bourbon pecan pie the same recipe as a Derby pie? I have never made one, but sell lots of bourbon for Derby pie lovers. Sounds so wonderful. :love:

YES! I didn't say Derby pie because figured the non southerners wouldn't know what I was talking about. :laugh:

You should definitely try making it, even when you mess it up it is still delicious!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I am not so concerned about Thanksgiving. It's the 14000+ calories I have planned for my epic birthday feast that has me still eating at a deficit despite surpassing my goal weight. And I can't wait :)
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pah, it's thanksgiving. It's one day, enjoy! - be that 2,000, 6,000 or 10,000.

Eat all the food. Drink all the drink. Be merry and be sure to spend the day being grateful for everything you have before going out tomorrow and shooting each other to death over a half priced toaster.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think I'd have any problem racking up that many calories. I pretty much eat steadily all day!

Agreed. And when you pile on the stuffing, gravy, and potatoes (all comfort foods that I rarely eat) I can see it happen. Add to that the fact that I tend to eat mindlessly while visiting...
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just entered the parts of the meal I know are on the menu, using generic entries that won't allow for any extras the cook includes (I'm not trying eat at a deficit today, I'm just tracking loosely because I love data and I like when my little charts have weird spikes). So no side dishes or appetizers entered yet because I don't know what we are having, and I'm at 960 for the meal. Gonna be a big day! Probably won't make 4,500 though. :)
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    4500 cals is nothing. Most people eat more than that everyday. It's easy. You eat more than you think you do. that's why you're here.

That's just silly. If "most people" ate more than 4500 calories every day, "most people" would be gaining 100-200 pounds a year, every year.

35% of the US is obese. So, yeah most people do consume about 4500 a day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wow.
    just frickin eat and drink
    who cares.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

In the US, today, around 4000 calories of food, per person, per day, are being purchased. Not all of it ends up getting eaten, of course, but that is still a staggering number, and strongly suggests a large portion of the population is in fact eating at the 4000+ calorie level.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 1,956 so far.

That includes my half bottle of champagne for mimosas hehehe…

Need to add in the left overs, wine and another piece of pie that I will have in the coming hours.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many calories my meal was. It was a covered dish meal made by 25 or so people and I ate 2-bite portions of most things plus turkey and ham. I did NOT go back for seconds because I was FULL! A far cry from past years. I did, however, most thoroughly enjoy my 1/2 piece of pecan pie and my full slice of chocolate merengue pie. I brought home a plate of leftovers but I chose only a couple of things that I really liked.

As far as racking up 4500 calories, I can easily believe it! I had a more or less Thanksgiving meal with mother last weekend and, without over eating, I surpassed 3000 calories with just basic foods because my mother is a Southern cook through and through. Even her scrambled eggs have butter added!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Consuming 4500 calories on Thanksgiving does not sound like a difficult task. At all.

This. Turkey, stuffing, pie, beer, bourbon, turkey, stuffing, pie, bacon, bourbon, beer, turkey, pie, turkey, stuffing, beer, bourbon, pie. And then some turkey. 4716 calories.

Well done. Thank you for saving room for bourbon.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting Thanksgiving feast calculator http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm , I have no idea how accurate it is.

And here's one where there are pics of Thanksgiving plates full of food and you can guess the amount of calories.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/thanksgiving-calories_n_4298802.html

According to that calculator just turkey, stuffing. potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, 1 slice of pie with ice cream and a dinner roll with butter would put me at nearly 2000 calories. So throw in that mac and cheese, some greens, at least two more rolls and then seconds? 4500 is easy.

Yep. That little 5k I'm doing in the morning won't even come close to the calories that I'm going to be ingesting.

Thanksgiving is at my house. My cousin listed the desserts that she's made: pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate cream pie, and some sort of grape jelly tart thing. I will be trying some of each and every one. I mean, it would be rude not to, right?!

Absolutely. No need to be rude. I say you step up and do your duty.