What's your "WHY"??

Options

Replies

• mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I want to show people that this is not me. When I was younger I was defined by what I did, sports for the most part and when that went away I went through a bit of an identity crisis and gained huge amount of weight. Now people are surprised to find out that I even played sports because how I look. I don't want to be a statistic, in my 20s, working a lot and overweight. I want to reach what I am supposed to be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    surviving cancer treatment will change your outlook on a whole lot of things.health and fitness being one of them. When treatment was done I realized that I was fat and out of shape, so I took control of my life and started eating healthy and working out. Now, I have found that I love lifting and my new lifestyle. I also want to look great with my shirt off and naked but that is secondary to the health and overall fitness level that I have achieved...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The why is to make the most of this rare, unlikely and blessed physical opportunity and, by extension, create a link to the metaphysical and fulfill the potential of what I am which is a co-creator of life and embodiment of the universal subconcious.

That and to look good nekkid. ;)
  • darkestdreams06
    darkestdreams06 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ""Why"...this question is something I have struggled with over and over, time and time again. Being overweight my ENTIRE life, I have always had a "why", but never the right one. High school, the why consisted of things like: to be a cheerleader, to fit in cute clothes, to have cool friends, blah blah. After high school, I was a bit more comfortable with my body and embraced it much better, however, that too changed. I fell in love, married, and gained a BUNCH of weight. Hated myself again and every negative thing I could say to someone, I was saying to myself. I began to hate myself, deciding that I was no good for anyone, however, it was just a toxic relationship that truly caused me to feel this way. That was 10 years ago. Now I am still overweight, but I do not let it drag me down as much, I know I can do something about it. It is no longer about feeling pretty, fitting into those cute clothes, or having people compliment on how good I look. This is all about ME. I need to fully love and embrace myself again, not my body, but who I am on the inside, the true beauty and light from within will shine once again.
  • Paulatrueman
    Paulatrueman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I want to look and feel good. Not for anyone else, but for me. Because if I feel good in myself then I know that will emulate onto others and I will feel good around them also.

I don't want to be a size 16 again EVER, hiding under baggy clothes and hoodies.

I want to look BETTER than my profile picture.
  • joanna1014
    Options
    I want to be happy with who I am and stop comparing myself to others and feeling like I am less.
    I want to be comfortable with who I am and not think that people are judging me by my weight.
    Even though I have been with my husband since I was 15 (and I was much bigger then!) I want to feel like I am the woman for him, and not like he wants a super skinny perfect girl. I know he loves me for who I am and that is the most important thing, but I want to feel like he thinks I am hot too! lol Kinda vain but whatever lol
  • mrskatbevins
    Options
    My why... I want to live, really live. I wanna run, jump, twirl. I wanna be able to hike, bike, run a marathon. I wanna be able to have kids, and be able to get down and play with them. I wanna be here to see my grandkids, and possibly thier grandkids.

Why do I want to lose wieght, because I deserve better. :smooched:
  • jmunn323
    jmunn323 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I want to be healthy. Most of my family is diabetic, obese, has heart problems, high blood pressure and cholesterol. I don't want to end up like them, depending on medication, when I could have fixed it by preventing the health problems in the first place. My side reasons is I live on the beach in Florida, and I don't want to be insecure of my body anymore. I've always been overweight, but never obese, and now I want to see what it's like to be healthy.
  • HiccupingBoots
    Options
    I want to be healthy. Morbid obesity runs in my family. My entire teenage years I was one of those people that could eat whatever they wanted and never gain weight. I abused those years and picked up all of my family's bad eating habits because I took for granted the fact that I was not gaining weight. Once I turned 18, I started packing the weight on (some of which I needed) but when I hit a healthy weight, I kept on and I kept gaining. In 7 years time I probably gained 100-150 pounds most of that in the last 5 years.

I love my family but I have watched their struggles with weight. I have lost my grandmother and most of her siblings because of complications that had they been healthier they would have never had. I have watched the health struggles my mom and her siblings have had because they are all morbidly obese. I refuse to let it happen to me.

This is my #1 reason for losing the weight. I want to set an example for my siblings and cousins (out of 12 of our generation 5 of us do not have weight problems and that is because they are all under 18 or extremely active) that even though we all struggle with weight that if we eat right and exercise we can be healthy & happy rather than having our health controlling us.
  • lozeliz
    lozeliz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    my why is simple. to be sexy for once in my life. to be able to shop for any clothes i want. and to get more panties to drop. thats about it.
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I broke my kneecap and went 2 months without being able to hike, bike or swim. Put on 15 pounds and went binge eating regularly. I haven't been this heavy since I was pregnant - 2 decades ago. I want to get into my ski pants.
    Being fit and healthy is important to me. Close to 60 means I want to be more rather than less active and have my body support me.
    I'd like to look in the mirror and feel at least OK. In fact I want to experience myself as beautiful - and hold to that as reality - WITHOUT reference to our society's notion of beauty which says wrinkle and fat free. And I remind us all that models are airbrushed, stretched and scraped away.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    to reach my potential.

^^This
  • xxviolentkissxx
    Options
    Why
    1. Am I ****, even though I am chick
    2. Am I reading this thread?

k thx bye
  • StarLiteKiss
    StarLiteKiss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why? Well here is my five reasons.

1.) I have two boys and I want to be a healthy role model for them and to have the energy to keep up with their energetic selves. 2.) To be able to enjoy many activities with my kids and my friends. { EX.- I want to be able to not worry if I am going to be able to fit in the seat to the rollercoaster.}
    3.) To be able to wear the clothes that flatter my age and personality.
    4.) To be able to look in the mirror and NOT feel disgusted in myself. I want to be happy with how I look, be happy with myself in general.
    5.) To AVOID major health issues that I am going to be facing if I don't help myself.

I have realized the only person who can help me lose this weight and simply live healthier is ME. So for once, I am going to be selfish and focus on getting myself healthy by eating right portions and better food choices and by exercising. Because in the end it is benefiting ME and my kids. Why does it benefit my kids? Because they will have a healthier mom who can enjoy the things they enjoy as well as I will be around with less health issues longer. :-)
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    My daughter deserves someone she can look up to and when it boils down to it, if she sees me getting fat and eating fast food all the time then she's going to think that it is something that is acceptable and something she can do too. I want her to see me eating healthy and taking care of myself so in the future she won't binge on junk and she will want to go outside and exercise and get sunshine. Also, my husband has loved me no matter what but I would like to lose weight for him so he doesn't have to hear me complain or have to comfort me when I cry anymore. A really big "WHY" is my mother though. She is dying quite frankly and my whole family is overweight. She can't walk very much and in a few years she will be in a wheelchair because she is so malnutritioned. She is overweight. I don't ever remember her eating anything besides snack and pre-frozen foods and fast food. I grew up eating that stuff honestly but she really feels like she can't do it and she continuously makes the plans to jump in and lose weight but she gives up.

All of these years of me talking to her about health, nutrition, and exercise hasn't made her budge at all and I've been scared to push too much because I don't want to put her down and I know she would take it way too harshly. But every time I have dieted myself it seemed to spark her to do it. So maybe some actual long term results would inspire her.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Why be average, when I can be my best!
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Why (then) - I hit rock bottom, weighing 352 lbs, diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and realizing that I was having a hard time fitting into a hospital bed with both my 4 year old and newborn. I knew immediately that something had to change. 2 1/2 weeks after giving birth, I joined the gym and haven't looked back. My girls are what motivated me!

Why (now) - I love the feeling after a really hard workout. I push myself to the point of throwing up regularly. Weird, I know. I love seeing results and most of all, love when someone tells me that I have inspired them. My girls still motivate me, I know they are watching everything I do. My husband and I and gym family make a great team motivating eachother. And the biggest reason.......I NEVER want to go back to how I felt before!

Just keep going! All the pain, tears, frustrations.....IT IS WORTH IT!
  • BrandNewMeBy30
    Options
    1. my health
    2. to show my son how to take care of his health (eating right etc.)
    3. to love what I see in the mirror
    4. to break the obesity cycle in my family
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    1) My health. My family has a history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and more. I don't want to have to rely on prescription pills to keep my body in check or have to have monthly doctor appointments to get blood drawn and tests done.
    2) To be the best me I can be. I used to be a dancer, gymnast, and figure skater. I used to love doing those activities. Now, when I dance or go figure skating, I lose my breath so easily. I used to be able to do back bends and flips with ease, and now I can barely do a basic bridge. I want to regain my flexibility and build strong muscles.
    3) And this is a little vain, but I want to improve my dating life. I want the confidence to be comfortable in my skin, flirtatious, and to find someone who will be supportive on my journey and maybe will work out with me.
    4) I want to live a healthy life now so that when I have a family, we can be healthy together.