WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Buy a jump rope , cheap and easy to do, by yourself, push up's, sit up's , jumping jacks ect ... You have to want to do it!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just came to my senses and removed my post. Sorry.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - WooHoo for you doing a happy dance

Did 30 minutes of a pilates DVD that I got. There is a bonus feature that I need to view before I determine that it doesn't need to be returned. Later I'll go to the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a boot camp with Denise Austin DVD. Update: I did review it just to be sure it is OK and doesn't need to be returned. That bonus feature adds about another 15 minutes to the DVD.

Heather - good for you getting yoursel NYE treats! You deserve them

Rite - you'll be in those 14's in no time at all, that's for sure

Renny - feel better fast. I don't know what it is, yesterday I took a nap. I was thinking it was because I'd eaten cookies (carbs) and that did it. But today I haven't had much yet I'm still feeling tired.

Joyce - how wonderful your entire family will be together!

Jane - when I thaw my blueberries or strawberries, I thaw them right on the cereal/oatmeal. Frozen they have an extra amount of juice, and that to me helps and tastes good. If the oatmeal is cold, put it in the microwave for a few seconds. I usually make my steel cut oats the night before and refrigerate them, then just nuke them a bit the next day. I don't think I could wait the 30 minutes it would take for them to cook

jfenner - thanks for posting that

sue in TX - OF COURSE we want you! I've had so many cookies, I'm thinking that that's why I've been so tired lately.

Allison - that's just wonderful that there was that bonus check waiting for you. After everything dh puts you thru, you should do something for yourself with that money. The gym membership sounds great. And you can buy yourself some food, too

barbie - I totally agree with you, the more you go without sugar (or salt for that matter) the less you want it. Right now foods that to others are just fine to me are way too salty. I used to use lots of Splenda (years ago). then one day I decided to use regular sugar. I was surprised (why, I don't know) at how much sugar I needed to equal the sweetness I got from the Splenda. Well, Splenda is something like 6,000 times sweeter than sugar. Now I'd prefer to have my drinks without any sugar.

Rori - if those 12's were too big in the waist, pretty soon you'll be needing a smaller size. WooHoo

supermodelchi - I used a jump rope last year at Thanksgiving time when we went up to Jess's for dinner. I figured that was something I could do in the hotel. Well, I did it in the hallway outside their fitness area. Unfortunately, I pulled my achilles tendon. It's just now getting to where it's healed completely. It was probably because I used the jump rope for an hour, whereas when it's in an aerobic routine, you are only doing it for a minute or two.

Well, we had mahjongg at my house tonight. One of the gals brought this cherry cheese pie thing. To be honest, she used low fat cool whip and when you use the low fat cool whip it just doesn't have the good consistency. Another thing, I wasn't too impressed with it (but I didn't tell her that). After she left, I just threw the rest of the pie away.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hope everything is OK Sylvia

Joyce
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Went over to talk to the nurses at cardiac rehab this morning. They said I should wait 2 weeks before coming back to work out after my little adventure. The bruise Is already starting to dissipate a little. But I won't be in a swim suit any time soon, that's for sure.

Still tired all day, and a little light headed, so took a couple of naps. Feeling totally lazy, like I should be up doing something constructive. But I took the dogs to get their nails done and even that was too much.

Poor hubby has been trying to hook up the VCR that's been in the closet for about 3 years, and a new stereo receiver we got for Christmas. Not having much luck. We'll have to ask my son to come over and do it. It's heck getting old.

Michele, that sounds like a terrible waste of cherries. I love cherries! I don't like cool whip or cheese with cherries either. I keep tart cherries in the freezer to use with 321 cake, and treasure every little one. Yummy and low cal and low salt.

Allison, maybe you should start a secret emergency fund with your bonus check. I had one when I was married to the king of the jerks. I had about a thousand dollars saved up in the pocket of an old overcoat in the back of the closet, and I felt better just knowing it was there, in case I had to leave the jerk. Gosh, that was a long time ago.

Good night all!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: The baby could be autistic, but there are also many other possibilities. DGD cried and raged as a newborn. She was HUNGRY! DD had some trouble with breastfeeding and a combination of things finally solved it. (Pumping, getting the let-down reflex going, and supplemental feeding all were needed.) This baby may be autistic, but it could have other issues. I think they should visit the pediatrician if need be. BTW, some of the wealthiest people in the computer industry show signs of autism. Maybe the baby is a genius. Good luck to all.

Rita: Congrats on the NSVs!

Renny: I love the new picture. Is the guy in the photo your DH?

Jill in Western MA: I agree with your good advice.

Susan: My DH would love the Asian ginger salad. Please share how you did it with salmon. Good luck with your appliance delivery. I love the Girl’s Guide to Loving Life. I had to paste it into google to see it.

Sue in TX: Welcome back!

Allison: Congratulations on the bonus check! You have good plans for it.

We had a busy day. I went to the hand doctor and I can now start weaning myself off of the brace, a bit at a time. He says I should change my yoga poses to avoid bending my hand back at the wrist. I can do “down dog,” but need to fist it instead of bending the wrist and using my palms. I can also go back to the gym. I went without the brace for a long while today and eventually put it back on because of the fatigue and beginnings of pain in the wrist. No new appointments are on the books unless I call for one due to problems. After the doctor, we went to a favorite Chinese restaurant for lunch and then to a leather store that has been in business since the 1920’s or earlier. That was fun. Then we went to the financial adviser. Now I’m ready for rest.

Happy Holidays!
    Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training.
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Bunp for later

:flowerforyou: Hi everyone - I seem to have missed a few days not sure why??? :noway: :huh:

:drinker: Feeling better from my cold, and the cough has (mostly) gone, hmm just in time for me to go back to work on Thursday :laugh:

:drinker: Well it's the last day of 2013, Let's hope 2014 is a good one for all of us :drinker:

Going to catch up with the posts I have missed, but wanted to wish all my dear friends a 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

Thanks for being my friends :heart:

Viv UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, Rita, Rori - congrats on all those size victories!:flowerforyou: Brilliant!
    Sylvia - PLEASE rest. :love: :heart: :flowerforyou:

My December goals update - RAKS - didn't do any conscious random ones, but I reckon I was intentionally kind much of the time!:laugh:
    Lose 1 lb - lost about 1.5 lbs Hooray!:bigsmile:
    Meet up with my brother and his wife - DONE !:bigsmile:
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good - made great progress!:tongue::wink: :bigsmile: Definitely will take that over as my motto for the whole of 2014.:flowerforyou:

Went to our local store yesterday to buy their fabulous fillet steaks for our new year's eve meal. (It's our little tradition) Decided at the last minute to take a look at the clothes on sale as I desperately need jeans. Oh, how I hate the sales! I couldn't find anything and the racks were all jumbled. I gave up in disgust! I'm a tiny bit OCD and I love order and nice coordinated colours etc so I will wait and pay a bit more for a nicer shopping experience. :laugh: Preferably on a Monday morning!

My yoga friend is coming in 45 mins for a session with me while the class is on holiday. Must get scrubbed!

Love to all. Will post Dec goals tomorrow.
    Heather in damp Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    having lemon water and icing my heel, going into work at 7:30, so I will go to the gym after I get out of work at noon,
    we are supposed to get a boatload of snow thursday night into friday, so dont know If I will be going to work friday .which is gonna be hell on the paycheck
    will check in this afternoon
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! Just want to wish everyone a Happy & Healthy New Year! :flowerforyou: :love: :bigsmile:

Tina in Florida :flowerforyou:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, also an early Happy New Year to all! We won't be doing anything special (I've got a lot of arthritis pain today, even though I'm only 53, grrrrr), but we'll be having a glass of champagne at midnight.
    Let's toast (with whatever) to a really good 2014!

Cynthia
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Happy NewYear and best wishes for all in 2014

I am up trying Alisons lemon water, not bad! Can't sleep coming down with a cold yuk.. it is only minus 29 here this morning with icecrystals floating around supposed to be minus 34 with the windchill so new years may requirer something fuzzy and warm.

Have a great day

Juanita in sudbury
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Not much time this morning, it`s going to be a busy and fun day:love: . Starting early this morning with a hair appt.:bigsmile: !

Sue in TX:smile: Good to see you back, you know you are always welcome:love: ! Sometimes we just need to take a few breaks!

Juanita:smile: Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: !

Have a wonderful last day of 2013 ladies! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- I got caught up on posts I think. Glad to returning and new friends - welcome!

Off to work early today and expect to stay late again today. It can't be good when your boss says, "So, do you and your husband have any New Year's Eve plans I need to be aware of?". That was yesterday at 7pm - I LOL and said no. So much still left to do before year-end and I didn't sleep well. Kept waking up so finally got up about 5:45a.

DH usually goes to his friend's sushi place for their celebration and I stay home. I'm not into the whole thing, so no big deal. And I no longer feel the need to go to these things because it is expected by some. (Not DH) Usually I am taking down Christmas decorations or cleaning house. I DO like to have my house clean on NYs day -- always a big deal to my mom, so all of us girls are the same way. Some old superstition I suppose....

DH got his party invitations so we'll get those done tomorrow and send them out Thursday. He decided on the 18th to give time to send them out/get responses. Yay....(also not into birthday parties, other than with immediate family). :ohwell:

Well, off to the races. Hope everyone celebrates as they enjoy. Wishing everyone a healthy new year full of love, laughter, peace and contentment!

HOPE to BBL :laugh:

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy New Years Eve!!!

May we all be healthy and happy in the year to come.........and smaller, too!!!

I'm still coughing (unbelivable!); it's almost 2 weeks now, the doxy is making my stomach unhappy. There was a big story on our news on how awful the flu is being this year and urging people to get a shot if they haven't yet. Hope everyone else with this crud gets better faster.

Welcome back Jane and Sue.........you were both regular posters when I started.

Katla..........when I fell off a curb a few years ago and had what was termed "soft tissue damage" in my hand/ wrist area, I was using my fist rather than a flat hand for almost a year for exercise........but it DID eventually get better.

Margaret..........planning to see "Mr. Banks" today possibly.

Juanita..........Brrrrrrrrr..........

Sylvia...........To this day, I keep emergency cash within easy reach, no real concrete reason or fear, you just never know......

Got a phone from a friend who was "celebrating" a bit early last night which lasted what seemed like forever; being the sober one in one of these conversations is not as fun as the other person thinks. I guess it was an intentional act of kindness to listen and not be rude..........but, what a waste of time.

If I'm awake, I'll raise my mug of tea at midnight to toast all the ladies of this thread; we have seen the ups and downs of life and know the value of support and that love can cross oceans.

Best to everyone!!!
    yanniejannie
  • riblondie
    Options
    Just stopped in to say Happy New Year to everyone! Have been sick with a bad head cold so haven't been on in a few days. As 2013 comes to an end here's to a better 2014! Take care everyone.....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I won't be staying up until midnight to welcome the new year......I'll have to pretend that i live a lot farther east and celebrate at 7PM PST when I post the link to the new thread for January 2014...:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

December Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *maintain weight (weight has stayed in a two pound range)
    *dance 20 minutes at home three days a week (not much at the beginning of the month, but more at the end)
    *act the way I want to feel (had to work hard at this but it saved me from some bad times)
    *don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good (going well)
    *walk one dog at a time until my back is 120% better (I’m beginning to like walking one dog at a time and will continue for the foreseeable future)
    *new resolution----play with Bernie, the cat, for five minutes each day (it’s a challenge to notice the rare times he’s awake during the day, but we’ve played with some great homemade toys…he seems to be learning some new ways to play and stay active

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.

I guess I stretched myself this year with teaching line dance, doing more yoga stretches, and reading some thought provoking books (the most recent book, "Willpower")

When I start the new thread, I'll be adding my January resolutions and my new word for 2014...I am still trying to decide between two good choices.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

3294555wkqi7f4ypr.gif
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Happy new year!!!!

Our tradition is to go to our local steak house for our anniversary. I normally get sirloin tips and french fries ( their portions are huge!) and we share an order of onion rings ( also huge). I only drink water, so that never has been an issue. This year hubby and I are planning to split an order of sirloin tips with baked potato instead, and skip the onion rings. They open at 4:30 are always packed on New Year's Eve, so we always try to be in the first seating, which means getting there early and waiting in line starting at about 3:30. This year hubby will do the standing in line and I'll wait in the car till time to go in.

We never stay up till midnight. We are very boring people. I like it that way.

Have a great New Years!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow: I did an excellent job of this. :bigsmile: I plan to keep at it for the foreseeable future.

2. * Modified: Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training: I managed the original goal quite well until I fell and had to cut out the weight training for a time.:grumble: I modified the goal to what is here and did fine with the modifications. I’m good at finding ways to get in my cardio workouts, and often do extra cardio to “earn” a treat. It is working for me. My weight has stabilized. I recently had someone tell me that I had lost too much weight since the last time she saw me. I weigh the same as the last time she saw me. :laugh: I wonder if I looked tired.:tongue:

3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day: I’m still deficient in water drinking. :frown: I’m doing better than before but that really isn't good enough. I didn't set a very ambitious goal to begin with. I slip when under stress. :blushing:

My new goals will pretty much be my old goals. They’ve served me well since I started this process over a year ago. I just read a great article someone posted on facebook about the benefits of drinking water as a prevention for heart attacks, so I’m going to tweak my water goal a bit. New wording will be ready tomorrow.

It is New Years Eve morning, and I’m making celebration plans with DH. I want to go out to dinner at a local restaurant to say goodbye to the old year and ring in the new. If weather allows we’ll do it, but we won’t be driving there. There are three nice restaurants within walking distance of our house. If it is too slick to walk, we’ll stay home.

Happy New Years! Stay safe while celebrating.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training.
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR from the land of ten thousand frozen lakes,

Reflecting over the year of 2013.
    Overall a good year. Maintained my weight loss within 2 pounds. Caught a torn retina in time before it became detached. Went on preventative treatment for Lymes. Right now my health is excellent. DH health is excellent too. A niece and nephew married. A great nephew born. Many family and friends to be thankful for. Met my major December goal of doing something kind for someone everyday.

Goals for 2014
    Continue to maintain weight loss by using MFP as a tool to keep me using healthy habits.
    Work to continue to have good health by exercising everyday, by eating the best diet possible, and by good sleep habits.
    Making time for family and friends.
    Limiting watching TV to one hour a day.
    Meditate/pray daily
    Not overreacting, Remembering "Just because you see the hook you don't have to bite."
    :heart:
    Margaret