WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    NEWS FLASH
    Another donut found in the dirty clothes hamper....of course it was the second maple bar!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Wrote a post but it evaporated............so, compressed:

Sylvia.......YIKES!!! Report that nurse and her unacceptable care and attitude!

Joyce.........Is the term you wanted "inactive"?

Heather.........YAY! For your good fortune!

Long day, good night, all,
    yanniejannie
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone: Finally back home after visiting the Pacific NW for Christmas. We had a wonderful time with family. Went expecting warmer temps and the second day we were there it snowed. My DGD was ecstatic. School was called off and I went with her to the park so she could play in the snow. I got to see two of her horseback riding lessons but swim team was on a break. We had a jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table on Christmas Day and all sorts of people working on it. We finished it in the evening. My DIL does not like big noisy family groups but that is exactly what we had and she managed okay. I am glad as she has had meltdowns in the past when we have had large family groups together.

Well now I am back home and have to attend to medical matters this next month. I have an MRI scheduled for January 7 of my liver to evaluate the lesion further and just a couple of hours before we got on the plane they called to tell me I need to redo my mammogram and have magnification done because there are small calcifications in the right breast. I need to schedule that this next week as there was no time before we left.

Silvia - Hope you are finally doing better. Sounds like you have been through the wringer.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This afternoon after lunch I was walking Brandy and thinking that I hope she doesn’t’ want to walk too far. I didn’t feel like walking or dancing when I got home and thought that I’d really just like to lie around and do nothing which is not my usual thinking …….then all of a sudden the thought came to me “you need a nap”…….so I came home and slept for over two hours….now I feel like a new woman….after the nap we went to Costco where there were no crowds and not tempting food samples….we bought only what was on our list.

:flowerforyou: Anamika, thanks to your inspiration and explanation, I did yoga this morning for the first time in many months. I’ve done a few stretches here and there to help my back, but finally this morning, I got out the mat and turned on the DVD and did my favorite Rodney Yee stretch practice for 25 minutes…..I have taken yoga classes before but right now there are too many factors that make that impossible…..one of my happiness commandments is “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good”, so even though working with a teacher would be perfect, I’ll do what I can rather than doing nothing.

:laugh: Meg, I love the vision of Benny Beagle and his doughnut….what a smart and resourceful dog.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I have stayed away from Jake’s candy, but decided to have some of the peanut butter because it’s the good kind made by grinding peanuts in the store and we haven’t had any in a few weeks.

:flowerforyou: Katla, I’m teaching half the line dance class now and for several months taught the whole class…I wouldn’t mind teaching the whole class but I don’t want to be the one to rush someone to retirement….she has been talking about retiring for over a year…….I got my elementary teaching credential in California when they were still issuing lifetime credentials so I haven’t had to ask the question about renewing it……now I’m in Washington and don’t know if I could even teach here but after 30+ years of teaching, I was ready to retire and haven’t given any thought to teaching again.

:laugh: Joyce, there’s never a dull moment with cats.

:flowerforyou: Heather, what good news that you finally got that check you’ve been waiting on for so long…….I am glad to hear that you like “The Happiness Project”……..the book changed my life.

:flowerforyou: Alison, glad you got home safely…..tomorrow you can return to your regular healthy behaviours.

:flowerforyou: Geri, it is never too late to restart your journey to health…..keep coming back and let us know how you’re doing.

:flowerforyou: Sue, glad to hear that you got home safely……sending hugs and best wishes for your medical tests.

:flowerforyou: My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.

:flowerforyou: Now I have to start thinking about a word for 2014 that will point me in the right direction.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ...18,000 steps today….25 minutes of yoga
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know someone that does her 40 min. walk in a mall before it opens to the public. The doors are open, but only a few people are there. I did it with her once and I actually worked up a sweat.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you yanniejannie. Inactive was the exact word I was searching for.

Rocklinite, we have two malls in our city. One was the first mall built in Indiana, was quite a major place to got o in its prime. But when the other mall was built it started the demise of the older one. But it is a wonderful place to got o to walk. We still have a sears store there, have no idea how they stay open and a bunch of doctors offices, a satellite lab and xray place. There is a cookie place and Noble Romans pizza still open in the food court. Other than that it is available for walkers. The other mall has some, they both open well before the stores open.

Joyce, Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Sylvia many healing thoughts sent your way after what you have been through. :flowerforyou: I hope you can take things slow.

Ribblondie Welcome:flowerforyou:

I went to drop off some donations today. I will create a pile of donations, but it seems to take me forever to get them to a drop off spot. I don't put things on the street anymore. The last time I did someone else took them before the pick up truck came. :grumble:

Tonight we went with friends to see a Christmas light show. We had a great time.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Juanita in Sudbury: We got married on March 21 when we were still in college. :heart: It was the first Saturday of spring break, and turned out to be a great time to get married. We have friends that we met years later who were married the same day.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Thanks for sharing. I understand your problem with finding a satisfying way to volunteer as a nurse.:flowerforyou:

Peachstate Gal, Heather, & Dr. Katie: I subbed before I was hired as a classroom teacher, and hated it. The kids were always strangers to me and there wasn’t time to build a relationship with any of them. I enjoyed having my own room and working with the students day by day. The relationship with individual students is what makes teaching enjoyable, and helps students learn successfully, in my opinion. I appreciate your replies. :flowerforyou: I doubt I’ll renew my license, but I’ll give it a little more thought.

Meg: I retired because of my husband’s health two and a half years ago. My question is whether I want to keep my license current, and I’m leaning against it at the moment. His health is complicated, and I think being at home with him is the right thing to do.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: It seems like you’ve got a full plate for January. Where were you in the Pacific NW?:flowerforyou:

Barbie: You’re still a teacher, but your students are older and better behaved now. :wink: And the subject, dancing, is fun.:bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone for helping me think though the decision about whether to renew my license. At the moment, I doubt I’ll bother, but I’ll continue to think about it a while before I make my final decision.

Happy Holidays!
    Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training.
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Anamika - I do go to a class. As a matter of fact, I'm going to one this morning. But then there are times when I just can't get to the class and the DVD's are a good addition. But I totally agree, you need an instructor to show you the correct form. It is so very easy to fall into a bad habit and not even realize it. Like I know when I was in Warrior II I was letting my knee fall inward (does that make any sense). It wasn't until an instructor pointed it out to me that I even became aware that I was doing that. Now I'm conscious of it. I also usually go to a class on Wednesday mornings (when I go to the deep water class on Wednesdays).

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a pilates DVD that I got for Christmas.

DeeDee - I'm haveing mahjongg at my house this Monday (we usually go to another gal's house), so the decorations can't come down until at least then. Then I'll be ready to get them down.

I told Jess last night that she's probably going to have to do most of the cooking for the dinner tonight. Fortunately, most of it is heating things up, except for frying the pierogi.

Sylvia - so glad to hear you're on the way home! thanks for keeping us updated. You get better real fast, ya hear????

Joyce - I'm so sorry you can't get your license back. You are one heck of a nurse. I bet with your knowledge, you would be a wonderful phone nurse.

Heather - to be a teacher, what do you have to do, what do you have to go thru to get your license? Good for you getting that check!!!!

One of the ladies who I think is coming to mahjongg Monday said she wants to make something special, can she stop by another lady's house? I do hope it isn't any kind of cookie. Well...if it is, hopefully, it'll be something Vince'll eat or else I'll just be nice Monday night and then donate it to the soup kitchen. I'm just so sick of cookies and cakes and pies.

Allison - so glad you're home safe

Geri - so sorry about your MIL. She's in a better place now. I just sent you a friend request on facebook

Well, we had our second Christmas dinner. I think Kris sort-of enjoyed being with a family on Christmas. Wish he was able to be here Christmas Day, it probably would have been so much better. But oh well. Went over on the calories today, I know I did. But this is THE END, absolutely the end. Jess did the dinner (well, most of it was just heating things up). I am so used to being the one who everyone relied on to get the dinner going, I have to learn more and more to step back and let her do it. Well...I'll get there.

Kris and Jess gave me two bottles of wine for Christmas. Honestly, I'm not much of a wine drinker, it'll probably be put downstairs for a few years. but it's the thought that counts. Interesting seeings how I'd sent her my wish list on Amazon and I know I have a few books on there, I would have thought they could have gone to Barnes and Noble and have gotten some, but no matter....

Thank goodness for tomorrow being another day. then Monday when we have mahjongg here.

Michele from NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    Options
    Good morning on this sunny Sunday!

Michele - it sounds as if you have had enough of Christmas! You will be so glad to get back to normal.:wink: I did my teacher's certificate right after university. It was for further and higher education. I only taught full time for one year as I was becoming a writer. I loved it when I could teach creative writing to adults, both at college and in my own home. But I am even happier not doing any of it! I love being able to organise my own time and not having regular commitments. Having read THE HAPPINESS PROJECT over the last couple of days I have renewed enthusiasm for getting back to my memoir. Or anything else that takes my fancy. DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :laugh: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

I am pleased today to have weighed myself after 2 days of sensible eating and to find I have not put on any weight over Christmas.:flowerforyou: :happy: It must be all the dancing we did round the kitchen table before the power went out! I also managed 30 push ups yesterday and today did the dreaded plank for 3mins 10 secs. Not quite up to Barbie's standard!
    Competitive . . . ME? ? ? ? ?:laugh:

DH off to football. I have a film to watch - American this time with George Clooney. DH'S nephew, the one who has the baby I think might be autistic, can't come again to their pre-match pub because the baby has been so unsettled and screaming nearly all Christmas at DSIL'S house. They went home to sleep. It seems to have been quite a trial for everyone. Nobody has said anything to us about her and it is only my subjective, intuitive opinion, but I can't help my suspicions. I hope I'm wrong - the parents are the lovliest, sweetest people and try so hard. They are both nurses.

Do you remember my game stew? Rooting through the little freezer in the garage I came across the last pot so we are having that tonight with roasted butternut squash and broccoli. It was a lovely surprise as I had forgotten about it!:blushing:

Bye for now, love Heather in cold and bright Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cynthia :smile: “An oasis in all the holiday busy-ness” sounds absolutely delightful:love: !

Renny :smile: Love your new profile pic! Hope you feel better soon! Happy Anniversary:flowerforyou: !!!

Katla :smile: I didn`t get any decorations taken down yesterday:ohwell: . I`m going to try and get all the decorations up, except for the tree, which I will take down after New Years Eve. It took me a couple of days to get everything out, will probably be that long putting everything away. I`m longing for longer days too:glasses: !

Gail :smile: Hope you enjoy your company, sounds like you`ve got a nice plan to keep them busy!

Juanita :smile: Hope you`re doing well!

Sylvia :smile: Hope you`re feeling better today:flowerforyou: !

Joyce :smile: Sounds like your cats had a nice time:laugh: !

Heather :smile: Yay for finally getting at least part of your money!

Grandmallie (Alison) :smile: I`ve been calling you Grandmallie for so long, it`s hard to get used to calling you Alison:blushing: . Glad you got home safe and sound!

Geri :smile: How very nice to see you again! So sorry to hear about your MIL:brokenheart: !

Jane Martin :smile: I`m confused on what day it is too:noway: :laugh: !

Meg :smile: Howling wind and 6 degrees….brrrrrrr!!!! Another donut in the clothes hamper:laugh: ….oh that Benny Beagle! Just think, now when there is a donut in front of you, that Benny has already licked it:sick: , that would stop me from eating it:tongue: !

Yanniejannie :smile: The gremlins ate your post:angry: , it used to happen to me all the time, I started using a word doc. to type my posts on, and then I just copy and paste.

Sue in SD :smile: Sounds like you had a very nice trip, snow and all! Wishing you good luck for your tests:flowerforyou: !!!

Barbie :smile: You get up so early in the mornings, no wonder you were tired:yawn: . Naps are so nice…I love it when I get the opportunity to have one:love: ! Fresh ground peanut butter…yummy!

Margaret :smile: I sometimes have a problem getting my donations to the drop off location too. Before I put up my decorations I had to drop off several bags of clothing I had sitting in my way:embarassed: ! If I will take things to the car as I do them, they would get there faster!

Michele :smile: Passing the torch to Jessica…sometimes it`s hard. When the kids came over for Christmas, I did everything, my daughter offered to help cook and clean up, and I wouldn`t hear of it. She takes care of 3 other people all the time, I wanted her to come and just enjoy being here, not cooking or doing dishes afterwards. That may change one day, but as long as I`m able to do it, I just want them to have a good time!

I`m having brunch with my best friend today:love: ….now all of the presents will have been delivered:bigsmile: !

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy, icky NC:grumble:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :smile: Dee Dee thank you I am doing okay, DB service is today, I am not attending due to distance, terrible weather road conditions and poor Dh is still so sick with stomach bug , we were with Db in hospital said my goodbyes and am at peace with it all.

:brokenheart: Geri so sorry for your loss

:flowerforyou: ALison welcome home safe and sound, I hate travelling long distances anymore and always nervous to know others are travelling, silly never used to be that way.

Best wishes to all enjoy your day

Juanita in cold snowy sudbury
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning, slept like a rock after all the exercise at Colonial Williamsburg yesterday---annual trek to see the decorations. It was crowded but many, many people brought their dogs; best part of the day was meeting new doggie friends!!! Ate at Olive Garden on the way back home............shared an entree with DD, but still afraid to look at the cals.

Threw out the remainder of the French Coconut Pie. Not sure what I'll make today; maybe chili.

As a child, we always left out decorations up through Jan. 7.......Russian Christmas, because we had neighbors who celebrated this. I still don't take mine down until about the 10th.........I love them, and we have them such a short period of time.

Meg..........laughed at the bennybeagle antics, imagine, hiding maple bars---he has good taste, that's for sure.

DeeDee..........I don't have a clue how to do any of the fancy things on the computer, always feel lucky to find my way back here to post and open my email successfully. About the only thing I can claim to be good at is looking things up on google.

Much colder weather coming, but just rain and maybe 50's right now.
    yanniejannie
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone:

We had whirlwind week. Our future SIL called Sunday evening to ask DH for our daughter's hand in marriage. Then also it was a "surprise" for her. He's lives in KY and drove down to propose Christmas Eve. She was surprised /thrilled and of course said "yes". So now we have most likely a "summer wedding" to plan for. They haven't nailed down a date yet. We are very pleased for them both. She will be 31 this coming Saturday. He was born the same day & year as her younger brother so there's a 15 month age difference. She met him through ChristianCafe.com. They are perfect for one another.

Cindy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    Options
    In Britain we normally take down our decorations on 12th Night. 5th Jan. It's considered unlucky to leave them up longer.

Just had phone call from DH's twin sister to say her DDIL passed away last night. She was in a hospice. Only 45.

Heather
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, my hubby and I got married 17 years ago too, on New Years Eve. I get a bang out of telling people that we got married in front of a fountain in Venice. It was Venice, Florida. Your Benny sounds like such a fun little guy! Bruno seems to bury big fat acorns and dig them up and bring them inside to crunch to muddy bits on the white carpet. We have howling wind here today too, but we aren't quite as cold as you are up there in the frozen north.

Well, I slept pretty well last night, but did wake up a couple of times with my leg throbbing. But it was so nice to be in our own bed with hubby right there. This morning I found out that my weight is up six pounds. I'm really hoping that is all water. It just has to be! I'm sitting in my recliner with a big comforter folded up on my lap to try to cushion the blows from Bruno jumping in and out of my lap. It helps, but still hurts quite a bit. I also have an enormous fever sore on my lip. I get those whenever I'm stressed. I got three from my previous heart cath. I had my Abreva with me and started using it right there in the hospital, but it didn't help.

I'm going to be taking it easy here today. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Sylvia. (In the far south of Kansas)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: In the US every state has its own rules for issuing a teaching license. In my state it involves hours of coursework in specified areas, depending on your endorsements. I had a K-8 endorsement and was “highly qualified” in my subject area-which was social studies. To determine “highly qualified” status, they looked at my college transcripts. You are also required to take hours of training annually. The school district had training sessions on inservice days to provide for keeping the staff up to date. If you're not working, you have to pay for classes to maintain your license.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on the first installment of your inheritance from your former MIL. :bigsmile: Good news about renewing contact with your cousin. My cousins are very important to me, too. I was/am an only child, all the elders are gone now, so they are the only family I have apart from the immediate family DH and I created. Sorry about the loss of your DSIL’s daughter in law. If she was in hospice, it must have been a blessing for her, but hard for her family.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Welcome home! I know how hard it is to maintain healthy habits during a road trip. Don’t worry about it and get back into the groove now that you’re home.:flowerforyou:

Patchworkpers: I’m sorry about the loss of your MIL and all the hard work it entailed. It sounds as though it may have been a blessing for her.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Good luck with your writing marathon. Sometimes deadlines are valuable motivators.:grumble: :sad: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Juanita: You said your goodbyes at the right time. I hope your BIL’s family can start the healing process now. I think funeral services are good ways for families to readjust to the loss of a valued family member, but sickness and treacherous weather are very good reasons to stay home.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m glad you had a good time at Colonial Williamsburg. It sounds like a lovely outing.:flowerforyou:

Cindy: Congratulations on your daughter’s engagement.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Congratulations on being home and having a restful night of sleep with your DH. I’ll bet the weight gain is related to your hospital procedure and will melt away on its own.:flowerforyou:

I spent much of the day yesterday working on DDIL’s Christmas stocking. I want it done and put away by the time all the decorations are taken down. I went into a shop to get a tool to write her name on it so that I could embroider over it and ran into one of my fellow yoga students in the shop. All is going okay in her life, and that is good as her DH had some frightening reactions to medicine in November. It turns out that I haven’t actually missed ANY yoga classes. The teacher had to cancel those that were planned for December. My fellow student told me I was still losing and didn’t need to lose any more. So this morning I hopped on the scale to find I am right where I expected to be and haven’t actually lost more weight. I think I’m doing okay on switching to maintenance. My fitness efforts are still derailed by the broken wrist, though. I’ll see the hand doctor again tomorrow.:bigsmile: I hope to be out of the brace and into flexibility exercises, but DH thinks it is too soon for that. We'll see what the doctor says.:flowerforyou:

Happy Holidays!
    Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training.
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce or Meg, could either of you explain why they felt it necessary to draw a big red circle on me in magic marker? It seems to mark the edges of the hematoma. I didn't even see them do it, but it's there and doesn't want to wash off. Just curious why.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Welcome Geri:flowerforyou:

Katla in Minnesota we have to have 125 hours of additional training every five years. Some of those hours can come from life experience like travel and volunteer activities. I will renew one more time at age 60 and then been done with it. We also can get a two year license where we do not have to do all those additional hours. That license is only good for subbing. We are required to take a math, mental health, technology, and diverse training. The union is St. Paul offers a one day training class for about 50 dollars that covers those requirements. I was fortunate I was able to get most of my hours when I was still working so my costs were minimal. I do understand your dilemma because it can be a hassle and expensive to get those hours. Good luck with your decision.

Dee dee good idea about the donations.

Sylvia your body has gone through a trauma and is reacting accordingly. I agree with others once you are recovered that water weight will fall off. If it doesn't be sure to discuss with your doctor.

I am resting today. The high is 0 today. I am not even going out to go to church. Yesterday I chipped out our driveway because we were in the thirties. We have a two car driveway. I am tired and sore.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    today has been a day already.. i get to go back to work tomorrow, DH(if I can call him that) doesnt until thursday...
    I got up early and hit the grocery store,since we didnt have much here,came home and the DH was in a snit, and having a temper tantrum.. we got into it, ya know what? I am tired we have driven for 2 days,and I have alot to do today before I go back to work...
    He started barking at me about the groceries, I spend a little over 200.00 and he looked at the receipt which has everything printed on it and started yelling about all he saw was fruits, prepared foods and all.screaming at me..So I gave it back,I told him he treats the dogs better than me, kisses up to them and treats me like sh##.. I bought bakery items to go in his lunches, yes, I bought cottage cheese and fruit,salad and stuff for me, I told him here are the bags, go through the receipt and everything you dont want on that list, put in the bags and take them back to the store. you dont want me to eat, fine, drop me like a hot rock and find some other bimbo to take care of your *kitten*.. meanwhile before I went shopping stopped at a bagel shop and got some bagels that he likes.. Go freakin figure..
    Ok enough of the rambling..hope everyone has enjoyed there holiday's all I can say it has been a doozy for me:huh:
    Sylvia get better quick.. and now off to do more laundry and put fresh sheets on the beds, then sweep and wash the floors.
    going over to a friends house at 4 for wine and cheese, but I will bring my water.. Tom can bring a beer or 2..
    ta ta for now
    Alison