WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I am so sorry all that happened. I guess I wasn't thinking about what all you had gone through when I said I missed all that. I do remember though how worried I was when my husband was in the ER and they were all around him like that. Yes, vasovegal response. Don't ask me to explain it. My MS has taken it away from me. I do know that it has happened to me but to a much smaller degree. I'm glad that you had quick response. Sorry the doctor didn't have any tact, he should have taken it to a supervisors office. And she shouldn't have left you in a mess. I can understand her being upset and not being able to cheerfully go in and take care of you but she should have sent some one else in. Well, hopefully she learned something today.

Barbie, very nice of you saying I was creative. I'm not sure if creative is a good thing sometimes!!!! I'm still not sure if I will give it to him. I know both my brothers have a big sense of humor and they both need a good laugh. We will get a good game of skettles going when they are here. That gets everyone laughing.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Well Sylvia, Your procedure doesn't seem to have been at all easy :noway: but you have a good doctor and will be doing better soon.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Somebody should give that nurse a refresher course. Hugs.

Katla
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sylvia your doctor has earned the right to be called (((( ANGEL))) and thats supposed to be a Halo :bigsmile:
    Am so glad you are recovering and in hospital where u will get all the care u need. Sorry about your Nurse, hope she learns from this incident. Keeping you in my prayers.:flowerforyou:
    I agree about opting for a good laugh with a person with a loving heart.:heart::drinker: :bigsmile:
    Barbie yoga actually means Union between the soul and the Almighty. For that, thousands of years ago the Yogis or hermits would sit in meditation for days. So that their body could physically go through that without disturbing their minds yoga was practised for a fit and healthy body. Today most people only follow the first step, that is physical fitness which is obtained by practice of Yoga poses which also heals and strengthens our mind. Nevertheless I feel all the stretches and asanas give us a positive attitude and if we meditate then we are in a very good place.
    Michelle has mentioned quite a few tapes/ CDs... I am doing twice a week with a professional teacher at the moment and rest of the time on my own, Its imp to have a good teacher because she needs to observe you are doing things correctly, else it will be difficult or you may pull a muscle :grumble: etc Or may not get the right benefits :laugh:
    Dee Dee loved your Friendly celebration
    Katla I am learning so much about volunteering from all of you
    Hugs and prayers for all
    Anamika:love:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Sylvia:smile: So glad you`re doing better now!!! Hope you have a safe trip home and speedy recovery!!!

Meg:smile: Benny buries donuts:laugh: , and faces off with an opossum, oh my, what a character he is:laugh: ! Hope his tests results turn out okay!

Michele:smile: Another Christmas dinner:noway: ! I`m sure you`ll have a good time! Glad you found Shadow:love: !

Barbie:smile: So Jake is bringing home treats:angry::tongue: ...you are so good at avoiding them though:bigsmile: !

Anamika:smile: Thank you for the description of Yoga, I studied a bit about the practice of yoga years ago:love: , I need to incorporate it into my daily life!

Time to get up from this computer and get the behind moving. First a few walks around the track and then to go pick up my car, (I`m ready to have it back! ), then coffee with a friend.....I`m hoping to get a little nap in this afternoon:yawn: , or start taking some Christmas decorations down:sad: , the house looks so festive right now...I hate to put them away:frown: !

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in very chilly NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, trying to catch up with all the news.
    It's pretty quiet here, luckily. We went out for dinner yesterday evening, just the two of us, and had delicious food and a wonderful time just chatting. Kind of an oasis in all the holiday busy-ness.

Cynthia
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, you've had quite the ordeal. Good thing your episode happened in the hospital, though. I wish you good health !

DD and I worked on a jigsaw puzzle yesterday. It is one of those, where the print on the box is only a clue what the actual should be. 1000 pieces of fun. We do this every year after xmas. As soon as the dining room table is cleared, the puzzle appears. It takes us a couple of days to finish, With lots of breaks in between and good conversation with various family members coming and going. I have time off between xmas and new years.

I came down with a cold though, sore throat, earache, etc. I had a flu shot, and So far it is mild, but inconvenient of course. Drinking lots of water. Gonna try to get some more sleep now.

Tomorrow is our 43rd wedding anniversary.
    Ttyl.
    Renny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I’m happy that your dance teacher has stopped talking about retirement. It seems to have brought so much pleasure to your life, and I’m guessing people would look at you as a replacement. I’m sure you would do a fabulous job, but it might not be recreation for you anymore.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Good wishes for Benny’s test results. I won’t take the Christmas decorations down until New Years. :noway: I want the lights on until the days are noticeably longer.:flowerforyou:

Cyntthia: I’m glad you had a wonderful dinner out together. :flowerforyou:

Renny: Congratulations on your upcoming 43rd anniversary. We were married in 1970. Our 44th anniversary is coming up in March. I’m sorry you’ve got a bug. Rest and water sounds like the perfect treatment.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope things are going better for you today.:flowerforyou:

I received notice from the Teaching Standards and Practices Commission that my teaching license will be up for renewal in July. I’m trying to decide what to do about it. I would need to take classes to renew it but could get a substitute license without classes. I don’t want to teach or substitute, so I could just let it go BUT… It is a difficult decision. I’d love to hear from other retired teachers on the subject.

Happy Holidays!
    Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training.
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    just a quick pop in -- my niece and her 2 kids will be spending the day/night with us. Hope we're ready for 8 and 11yos! Planning on a science museum, mexican food and going to michael's so they can get a gift of something to occupy their time.

BBL

Gail, metro ATL
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Best wishes Silvya hope your feeling better today

:drinker: Happy Anniversary to you and DH Renny

Katla we also got married in 1970 march 7 and 44 years has gone by in a flash

Have a great day everyone

Juanita in sudbury
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    @Katla: Can't offer you any wisdom, but good luck with your decision! :flowerforyou:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I understand completely about missing the excitement. I was a cop for six years, way back when. Long Periods of aching monotony punctuated by short bursts of absolute adrenaline.

I got out of the hospital about an hour ago. I feel good except the injury to my leg/groin is getting pretty sore. Rigormortis setting in. Luckily all I have to do is sit and let hubby do the driving.

Take care everybody.

Sylvia
  • riblondie
    Options
    Thank you Everyone for the welcome! I enjoy meeting people from all over the country. I can feel the caring and support from this group. I look forward to talking to more of you. Have a great day!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, our nursing license had to be renewed every two years. Price kept going up. The year I had my big relapse of MS, which took me off work, was the year to renew. I knew my working years were over and I did not question at all not sending in those papers. I didn't know enough at that time about how well the body reacts to the huge dose of IV cortisone and that 'retirement' would help my body recover. But it was to late by the time I felt like I could do some kind of nursing, whether being a phone nurse in a doctors office or something. I did try volunteering at a hospice but I think that was to early. I'm not sure if it was the MS or procrastination that made me not be able to do that. Plus I was never assigned any cases that gave me that warm fuzzy feeling I wanted. I have a neighbor who is on the state board of nursing and she said I could have gotten a license that was, oh my MS won't let me think of the word. It puts it on hold until you want it again. I just can't think of the word. Put it was to late. I had already lost it. I would have had to take all those exams again.

Well, my 'creative' creation I was going to give my brother for Christmas is dead. I forgot my cats love of chewing on rubber. She ate one of its front legs during the night. A new C-Pap mask comes with 4 nose pieces, one of each size, so I have 2 more pieces to fix it. Now to decide whether to do it or not.

Sylvia, hoping for a quick recovery, although with that size of hematoma it will be challenging. Expect a low grade fever as your body absorbs all that old blood. And the colors will change quite a bit also! Hope your new medicine works.

Joyce, Indiana
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Katla, I retired from teaching at age 58 after 30 yrs. I did substitute teaching for about a year after that because I really missed it. But hated being a sub since it was like baby sitting. Anyway, now I am happy to be retired and am enjoying my very quiet life.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!:flowerforyou:

Katla - I was so happy to give up teaching and just adore retirement.:heart: We don't have to renew a licence over here though.

Renny - Happy Anniversary.!:flowerforyou: I was married to my ex in 1970.

Today a couple of great things happened!:drinker:
    #1 I got the cheque with the first instalment from my exDMIL 's will. Yeah! She's only been dead over 8 years! This means I can do all the lovely treat things we have planned for next year, including my New York trip. Sooooooo happy! Thank you Isobel!:drinker:
    #2 I sent a card to my cousin whom I haven't seen for many years and put my email address in it. Today I got an ecard from him with his email address.:happy: We used to be close as children. So good to hear from him. He is a couple of years older than me and a bit eccentric, but family is family.

I am currently reading THE HAPPINESS PROJECT on my Kindle. I pronounce it very good.:laugh: Unputdownable!

We had turkey curry last night.:laugh: That is a bit of a British tradition after Christmas. It was DELICIOUS ! :bigsmile: The last bit of turkey is in the freezer for another curry and I have frozen the carcase to make stock later. Tonight we are using up DGS' s meatballs. I have made a mega pot of passata so will freeze lots. That always makes me happy.:laugh:

Sylvia - rest, rest and more rest. My DH has had those vagal response episodes when he is dehydrated. The first time it happened we were really worried. Now he is a bit more careful. I still sometimes have to remind him to drink water.

Hugs to all those with nasty bugs.:love: I had a long sleep this pm on the sofa. Lovely!

We are now organised to go up to DSIL next weekend. What a saga it was organising it! Phew! I am also in the process of getting my new yoga friend to come over next week to do a yoga session together. I love having a new friend.:love: She is soooooo great!

We hoovered up all the tinsel today that DGS fed to the bouncy horsey.:love: I have a great video of him bouncing and saying he fed tinsel to the horse.:heart: Sliwly getting the presents put away and deciding if there are one or two to give away.:tongue:

Love to all. Good tv tonight and catch up on recordings once I have got dinner served,

Heather in calm Hampshire UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Katla, my certificate is good for a couple more years. I will probably renew this one since I will have the professional learning units to do it. My National Board Certification expired in 2012, however, and I threw that renewal application in the trash. I am 59 right now, still working 49% time! and the Georgia teaching certificate will keep my options open. This next renewal will be my last, though. I don't see myself doing professional learning if I am no longer working with access to it for free.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    Ahoy all, just popping in to say I finally made it home we got home around 4:15 pm and have been running around mad since.
    I didnt log at all yesterday and I ate really bad yesterday, the last 2 days I havent gotten to much exercise either, so needless to say, not looking forward to getting on the scale:grumble:
    Here I am Kevetching and poor Sylvia my friend you have been through the ringer. sending you a speedy recovery and lots of :heart:
    will check in tomorrow
    ta ta for now
    Alison
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello again lovely ladies. Just marking my spot after being missing yet again.

We had a bitter sweet Christmas Sweet because we have our beautiful grandson turn 1 year old but sad because we lost my Mother in Law. So much time was spent driving 2.5 hours each way to see her, clear her apartment, funeral etc. She was 94 & had lived a good life but she was suffering with dementia which altered her personality. We could see past the nastiness but some family found it too had.

My weight has gone up & with a recent medical issue (waterworks trouble) I need to get it under control so I'm re-setting & re-starting. My only constant has been gym time 3 times a week. Things would have been so much worse if I'd lost that too.

So let me re=introduce myself - I'm Geri & I live in UK. I work for a large financial company paying the bills to keep the phones & computers running. My DH & I have 1 son who with his lovely wife has given us our gorgeous grandson.

Feel free to friend me here &/or on Facebook (Geraldine Mundy).

Looking forward to getting to know you all over again.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    Getting mixed up with the days,which day it is.
    Ran some errands today,temps in the 50`s.
    Hope all is ok with you all.
    HUGS
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. This will be fairly short. I am on a writing marathon. Have to have 2 chapters done by New years! It was another beautiful day here, but now the wind is howling and it will be down to 6 degrees tonight!

Sylvia: nurses are human too and have bad days, but what I always tell my students is “your bad hair day can kill someone so knock it off”. She should be reported. I’m so sorry you endured that. :flowerforyou: Usually the Isordil (isosorbide) doesn’t cause first-dose fainting, but it can.

Michele: my dog is much pickier than Dunkin’ Donuts! He prefers Winchell’s maple bars.:bigsmile: I got the Rodney Yee morning yoga tape. I hate it when our cats hide!

Anamika: thank you for the information on yoga. I know I feel mentally refreshed aftewards.

DeeDee: yes those buried donuts made me crave them all day! I don’t know what I’d do with a possum though!

Cynthia: good to find those quiet spots in the holiday madness!

Renny I love the idea of a puzzle on the dining room table. Now what would I do with the cats! I may try it anyway!

Katla: I didn’t realize how close you are to retiring!

Gail: have a fun time with the little balls of energy!

Juanita: I can’t imagine being married for so long! I got married to the “current” one 17 years ago. We’ll be 100 at our 44th! :laugh:

Heather: turkey curry. Now that’s a recipe I need to try!

Alison: glad you are home safe and sound

Geri! Nice to see you again!

Well time to get back to the marathon. Hide your donuts; I may steal one! Take care, Meg from omaha where the weather is worsening!