Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that very few people here weight shame.

^this

And yet, we have come to a point where "weight differentiation" is equated with "weight shaming". I suppose next will be noticing someone's weight will be considered shaming.

Am looking forward to this pendulum swinging back the other way sometime soon.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right?

That's an outright lie.

Why are you misrepresenting a fellow human being like this?

THIS. I think people need to put their big-kid panties on. People are so thin-skinned these days looking for a reason to be offended about ANYthing and EVERYthing. geez. People's be cray-cray. it's the internet, people. aye-yi-yi.
    For the umpteenth time, yes I was being *sarcastic*.
    ETA - I can't really tell if you're agreeing with me or the person accusing me of being a horrible liar, so maybe my sarcasm meter is broken. Hello, hello... testing, testing.... :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Steve, I've asked you this before but received no answer:

Can you tell us about your qualifications/education/experience, please?

I believe the only response he ever gave to this was he read a book commonly used to educate doctors.

Is he the one that referred to Guyton & Hall? Cause I have a copy of that book. I believe I asked him for a page reference for something he quoted from there so I could look it up myself, but he refused.

I'm oooold.

This was my textbook.
    guyton.jpg

Yours doesn't even have a Hall! Must be old :laugh:

Very good class!

Go to the index and look up "hypoglycemia" and then look for subheadings under "breakfast."

Probably won't find anything.

But read up on glucose and glycogen. Use the index.

Even an old Guyton's is a goodie.

Why?

Because you won't find any nonsense in it.

All the facts are based on the best available research and has been thoroughly vetted by the medical establishment.

If any speculative things are in it, they will label it as such.

I will change my opinion on anything if there is evidence to support it.

Especially morning hypoglycemia in an otherwise healthy adult, not taking diabetic medicine, that causes her to lose consciousness.

So dig in and prove me wrong!

So if Guyton doesn't have it, it doesn't exist? Ludicrous.

You continue to focus on an "otherwise healthy adult" while I would consider fainting spells a sign of something wrong, but who knows - I actually work in the health care area.

You've been given links - why don't you address those? I except your answer to be "these aren't in a healthy person".

Look, there is something simple called Whipple's triad that is used to determine if hypoglycemia is the cause of symptoms like a syncope (fainting).

1) symptom is know to be caused by hypoglycemia (such as fainting)
    2) blood glucose is low
    3) when blood glucose is raised, the symptom goes away

If the person complaining of fainting goes through this process, then it is generally accepted that the hypoglycemia is the cause. Not your spurious and insulting "panic attack". Given that blood glucose is relative easy and cheap to measure, this is an easy personal evaluation.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    "Class?

Again, please tell us about your education, training, and experience in the field of medicine."

I am not going to tell you because you should accept what I say by looking it up, or asking people who know about these things. A lot of people spew nonsense and expect you to believe them because they preen about flashing their professional status at you.

Don't accept what i say because of who I am, look it up for yourself and LEARN something that might stick with you for more than twenty minutes!

Nothing irritates me more than people posting "I am a doctor and blah blah blah", or 'I am a nurse and blah blah blah"

There is a lot of idiotic medical professionals out there who never should have gotten licenses.

Whereas some individuals don't need a medical education to spew nonsense and insults. Bravo sir.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If the person complaining of fainting goes through this process, then it is generally accepted that the hypoglycemia is the cause. Not your spurious and insulting "panic attack". Given that blood glucose is relative easy and cheap to measure, this is an easy personal evaluation.

If he uses the word "vapors," I will be very happy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I like you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

"Hysteria" is my fav. You know, from having a uterus.
    At this point, and as is often the case, the discussion is no longer about him but about assuring general information when someone searches here and stumbles upon this. I'd hate to see someone with fainting and hypoglycemia just finding his "medical" diagnosis of "you're fat, enabled and lazy"
  • rml_16
    Options

"Hysteria" is my fav. You know, from having a uterus.
    At this point, and as is often the case, the discussion is no longer about him but about assuring general information when someone searches here and stumbles upon this. I'd hate to see someone with fainting and hypoglycemia just finding his "medical" diagnosis of "you're fat, enabled and lazy"
    Absolutely!

I have NEVER been someone who overeats and I've never had any problem with feeling hunger. I'm not the type of person who has to eat every time I have a little pang. Sometimes I go entire days not eating because I get caught up in something and it isn't a priority. But there are times when I get migraines and the shakes and I NEED to eat to function. It isn't an excuse. It actually is real.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

2) blood glucose is low

Thankfully, I learn quickly from my erroneous ways and only passed out once, the embarassment of the college bookstore having to call an ambulance and waking up in the ER was enough to make me take note, and the DX of hypoglycemia had me researching and making corrections to my course. I have come very close to passing out quite few times since, but now that I know what causes it I know how to fix it.
    And,no I am not otherwise healthly, but I am not diabetic nor on diabetes medicines.

I also do not need Steve's confirmation of what multiple doctors have told me and tested me for on more than one occasion. I am fine knowing Steve doesn't believe me or my doctors. And thankfully my doctors don't need Steve's approval to treat me.(nor anyone else with health issues they are working to get through)

And wasn't this stuff originally from a different thread? Do some people look out for key words to know which threads to attack?
  • 3foldchord
    Options

HA! Vapors!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    If you are concerned about low morning glucose, go to a doctor and get tested.

And shame on the doctor who encourages you to think that a low-normal blood glucose is causing your symptoms.

I did get it tested 20 yrs ago and again 3 yrs ago.

And i do not feel hungry in the morning.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Steve, I've asked you this before but received no answer:

Can you tell us about your qualifications/education/experience, please?

I believe the only response he ever gave to this was he read a book commonly used to educate doctors.

Is he the one that referred to Guyton & Hall? Cause I have a copy of that book. I believe I asked him for a page reference for something he quoted from there so I could look it up myself, but he refused.

I'm oooold.

This was my textbook.
    guyton.jpg

Yours doesn't even have a Hall! Must be old :laugh:

Very good class!

Go to the index and look up "hypoglycemia" and then look for subheadings under "breakfast."

Probably won't find anything.

But read up on glucose and glycogen. Use the index.

Even an old Guyton's is a goodie.

Why?

Because you won't find any nonsense in it.

All the facts are based on the best available research and has been thoroughly vetted by the medical establishment.

If any speculative things are in it, they will label it as such.

I will change my opinion on anything if there is evidence to support it.

Especially morning hypoglycemia in an otherwise healthy adult, not taking diabetic medicine, that causes her to lose consciousness.

So dig in and prove me wrong!

So if Guyton doesn't have it, it doesn't exist? Ludicrous.

You continue to focus on an "otherwise healthy adult" while I would consider fainting spells a sign of something wrong, but who knows - I actually work in the health care area.

You've been given links - why don't you address those? I except your answer to be "these aren't in a healthy person".

Look, there is something simple called Whipple's triad that is used to determine if hypoglycemia is the cause of symptoms like a syncope (fainting).

2) blood glucose is low

If you are of normal weight, then fine, believe in morning hypoglycemia and gobble down breakfast and live your life.

If you are trying to lose weight, who have to look at things carefully.

It would be of great service if the lady who said she will pass out because her glucose is too low get a glucometer and lets see how low her glucose really is.

I bet it is perfectly fine in the morning.

But her stomach is empty. Right?

And an empty stomach in too many people in associated with an anxiety reflex. That;s why they eat so much.

And that's why they feel they always have to keep something in their stomach.

But the stomach should be empty for most of the day.

Get used to it.

If you are concerned about low morning glucose, go to a doctor and get tested.

And shame on the doctor who encourages you to think that a low-normal blood glucose is causing your symptoms.

Repeating the same hypothetical scenario doesn't make it more true this time.
    You are imagining her behaviour in the most unfavorable light as if she was eating constantly.
    By the way, one can lose weight quite well without skipping breakfast.

edit:typo
  • rml_16
    Options
    Repeating the same hypothetical scenario doesn't make it more true this time.
    You are imagining her behaviour in the most unfavorable light as if she was eating constantly.
    By the way, one can lose weight quite well without skipping breakfast.

Not to mention that the poster in question is super thin and not obese or even slightly overweight if her photos are accurate.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Steve is directly contradicting specific medical advice given to a poster by her physician.

Surely this has to be against the rules of MFP, right?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Steve is directly contradicting specific medical advice given to a poster by her physician.

As long as he agrees with the OP, he's good to go. :wink:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I think he can excuse himself as she is not the person he imagines - obese, trying to lose weight, no health issues, constantly eating, lying about the cause of her hypoglycemia, having imaginary panic attacks about empty stomach. And in need of his guidance.

In short, an imagination run amok.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Nope.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is something that I've been debating over and over again. Sure there are companies that want you to feel comfortable in your own skin which is great. Tweens and teens are obsessed with looking skinny. But I have to agree with Ms. Kang because we are starting to normalize obesity. It's not about being fat or skinny, it is about being healthy. Period. How can I tell my daughter (if I had one) that she is beautiful the way she is (say she was obese) and let her go as is knowing that I am killing her with the food I give to her for lunch and dinner?

I've always been overweight since I was a kid but always incredibly active and really confident. I didn't see any problems. It was when I stopped playing sports and starting eating out that I really piled on the weight and now I'm suffering the consequences and fear that I will have obesity related illnesses like diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular issues. So do I feel comfortable in my own skin? No. I hate it. But not because I look bad (well I do in shorts) but because I am putting my health at risk and that's why I'm changing. I have no ambition to look like a Victoria's Secret model. I'm trying to not be another stat.

Do I think it is hate speech? No, she is voicing her opinion on social media. If you don't like people's opinion then get rid of your social media accounts.
  • rml_16
    Options

Nope.
    Just clarifying -- that wasn't a dig at you. Just the way things tend to go around here sometimes. :smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Are we still talking about hypoglycaemia?
This discussion has been closed.