Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can we combine this thread with the "eating back calories" thread, tie them both to a large stick, and set them on fire?
    I'm crushed. If you tie this thread to anything, please have the decency to tie it to the "eating less than 1200 calories is fine" thread before setting it alight. Give me some dignity.

There are a few dozen threads you could add to it and make an awesome bonfire.

tumblr_m0wcmbYAdD1rqfhi2o1_400_zpsb039f0df.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Can we combine this thread with the "eating back calories" thread, tie them both to a large stick, and set them on fire?
    I'm crushed. If you tie this thread to anything, please have the decency to tie it to the "eating less than 1200 calories is fine" thread before setting it alight. Give me some dignity.

Agree. Save your torches and pitchforks for the truly deserving threads. I would vote for every single one of the "What am I doing wrong????" ones. But that's just me.

How about just the ones where it turns out that the OP isn't logging at all.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

^ lol

Yea, that one hour is hard to find for those with 90 hour workweeks. Everyone else? Not so much.

I think a more accurate statement would be that not everyone has the *desire* to spend an hour a day at the gym. For some people that just isn't what makes them happy, and they are fine with not having a ripped body. Nothing wrong with that.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options

There are a few dozen threads you could add to it and make an awesome bonfire.

tumblr_m0wcmbYAdD1rqfhi2o1_400_zpsb039f0df.gif

:laugh:
    How about just the ones where it turns out that the OP isn't logging at all.

Yes, those are the ones I mean!!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

It takes an hour a day. Anybody who wants to, can.

No, not everyone can workout an hour a day. Wish I could. But I can't.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

I won't argue with you...because I know how pointless that is...

...but at least acknowledge that you can't workout an hour a day right now. Perhaps with a few different choices in your future, you'll be able to.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

^ lol

Yea, that one hour is hard to find for those with 90 hour workweeks. Everyone else? Not so much.

I think a more accurate statement would be that not everyone has the *desire* to spend an hour a day at the gym. For some people that just isn't what makes them happy, and they are fine with not having a ripped body. Nothing wrong with that.

It also ignores the fact that most of what you weigh is made up by what you decide to put in your mouth. You don't need to spend an hour a day in the gym to look good you just need to watch what you eat and workout a few times a week. If people were willing to work hard you could get away with max 45min workouts and if you can't get to a gym then you can workout at home.

It comes down to priorities for the large majority of people. Not I can't but it's not a priority. If you want something enough you find away.

Another thing I found amusing about a lot of the comments on this story is the people who seem to think she is neglecting her children by taking care of herself. Odds are she'll be around a lot longer and in better shape to spend much more quality time with her children over the coming years.

Oh and another point of observation is that I bet her children eat a hell of a lot healthier than most of the people who were commenting on the story (not the people on here). I think people who allow their children to get severely overweight are practising a form of child abuse.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I was watching some old movies from the '40s this weekend. There were fat people in those movies. No one ate fast food then. No one had the internet or watched tv, because it wasn't yet available.

I have two sisters-in-law, my husband's sisters. One is naturally thin, the other tends to put on weight very easily. You could see the difference in baby and childhood pictures. Both are slim now. The one who tends to gain easily runs marathons and runs every day and must watch every bite she eats. The other exercises, and has always been able to eat whatever she wants within reason. They both look like specific women from earlier generations in the extended family, too.

In short, I don't find it helpful for people who have no scientific basis for their claims, to finger wag at the rest of the world, about eating and exercise. Work with what you have, do your best, but don't beat yourself up if you don't have a six-pack.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

...but at least acknowledge that you can't workout an hour a day right now. Perhaps with a few different choices in your future, you'll be able to.

One day when I choose to be healed of my heart condition, then I can and will.
    My point wasn't to be argument active but to remind everyone, that blanket statements are not always the best. Not everyone is healthy (and the illness is. to always relative to better choices, soMetimes our bodies just don,t work right)
    It depresses me often that my health limits me and there is nothing I can do about it.

And, with the hypoglycemia, No, I can NOT skip a meal unless I want to pass out. Been there, done that

Sorry to be a nuisance, just having a super bad week..month.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

My point wasn't to be argument active but to remind everyone, that blanket statements are not always the best. Not everyone is healthy (and the illness is. to always relative to better choices, soMetimes our bodies just don,t work right)
    It depresses me often that my health limits me and there is nothing I can do about it.

And, with the hypoglycemia, No, I can NOT skip a meal unless I want to pass out. Been there, done that

Nearly all recommendations should be assumed to include a disclaimer that it is not for those for whom health conditions are contraindicated. That does not invalidate the recommendation for those for whom this restriction does not apply.

We see this a lot in the forums here:

1. No one should eat gluten...ever.
    2. Why? Gluten is not a problem for those who are not celiac.
    1. Well, I have celiac. Are you telling me I should eat gluten even though my doctors says I shouldn't? How dare you!?!
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I cannot see why Maria Kang's post was removed or access to her account temporarily denied. If that's what passes for hate speech today then it's only a matter of time before all forms of social media are shut down. Ridiculous.
    I agree with her premise that obese people will be less inclined to lose weight if its portrayed in the media as the norm. And that childhood obesity starts in the home.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

So you're telling me that you don't have any "Me time" I work pretty much a full time job, have 2 kids, 2 businesses on the side, a hubby and a house to clean, I still manage to workout an hour every day. I have time to facebook and MFP, I have time to workout. So your excuse is you would rather sit on MFP then workout? Lose an hour of sleep, stop playing online for an hour, you have that extra hour, what you choose to do with it, is up to you.

I have a friend who works a whole lot harder then I do and makes time to workout, it's all about how you priorities things.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    double post
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

So you're telling me that you don't have any "Me time" I work pretty much a full time job, have 2 kids, 2 businesses on the side, a hubby and a house to clean, I still manage to workout an hour every day. I have time to facebook and MFP, I have time to workout. So your excuse is you would rather sit on MFP then workout? Lose an hour of sleep, stop playing online for an hour, you have that extra hour, what you choose to do with it, is up to you.

I have a friend who works a whole lot harder then I do and makes time to workout, it's all about how you priorities things.

No, that's not what she's telling you.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

Smart *kitten*! She's telling the thread!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

No I mean, she's not saying she doesn't have time. She's saying that she has physical limitations. She works out as much as she can without flaring. (She's on my friend list and we share some of the same health conditions)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well she's an extreme version of healthy, criticising everyone who is an extreme version of unhealthy as well as everyone in the middle. She knows she looks good and that others wish they looked like her, yet rather than shutting up and getting on with her life as a quiet role model she shouts her opinion from the rooftops. I find her incredibly offputting and don't think she's a motivational role model at all
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

No I mean, she's not saying she doesn't have time. She's saying that she has physical limitations. She works out as much as she can without flaring. (She's on my friend list and we share some of the same health conditions)

Ahh, my bad.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Says can't work out but blogs about doing SL5x5. Is a success story.

I understand you have health issues but your successes that I see, that anyone can see, with your ticker or pictures demonstrate that yes, even someone with health issues can be a success story.

Because that is what you are. :flowerforyou:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't find her an inspiration at all. Just like the various Hollywood stars that have a kid and are back to their size 0 clothes within 4 weeks of giving birth are not at all inspirational to me. Do I hate them? No, but I don't want to be like them either.

Even if I'd make a concentrated effort I wouldn't look like this and it's not realistic for me to assume that anything short of plastic surgery would get me there. It's not an excuse, it's reality. Do I try to be the best me that I can be? Absolutely :smile:
This discussion has been closed.