Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options
So, here's an interesting article: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/fit-mom-temporarily-banned-facebook-hate-speech/story?id=21048325

What do you think? FB police did the right thing? I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right? Or maybe FB police need to calm down and understand that she's simply advocating for a healthy lifestyle and posting her own situation as motivation for those who want it?

I suppose it's all how you want to look at things. Seems there are two camps here: one camp which looks at that and says "Wow, that skinny little B just called me fat and lazy - how dare she!", and the second camp which looks at that and says "Wow, if she can do it, I can too. Good for her!"

Thoughts?

Replies

• hannahgetto
    Options
    I think that the post is unreasonable and promotes bad body image. Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives. Also, it is triggering to anyone recovering from anorexia nervosa or anorexia athletica because it makes people feel worse about themselves.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right?

Where exactly did you get that opinion from? I don't know the full story, only what is reported here...and my only comment is more power to her. It seems to me that she is spreading positive messages about health and fitness and FB and you are categorizing it as hate speech?

Look, I am overweight, my wife is overweight, and you know who's fault it is? Fast food? Processed food? The media? Liberals or conservatives? It's ours! Oh no...someone taking responsibility for themselves, good or bad. What's wrong with that? And by the way, I love my wife, more than I could make you understand here and I know she loves me as well. Yes I love her overweight, and she loves me. But, do I want rather of us to be this way? No. Do I think this is a good example for our boys? No it isn't.

That is why we are committed to eating right and exercising. I think this lady is setting the same example for her boys.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right?

That's an outright lie.

Why are you misrepresenting a fellow human being like this?
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    "But after it banned Kang, Facebook then said the post had been taken down by mistake and reinstated Kang's access to the social media site."

They banned her only because these haters reported her by false reason, so when FB looked more closely they unbanned her. This is usual in social media cos they are huge and can't monitor everything so carefully. It has happened with me too on youtube, with non-fitness related vids, when people don't like something so they report it, later my vids got unbanned. It's annoying, yes, but it's normal. Don't need to make a big deal of it.
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.
    1 hour a day in gym every day is enough to reach that kind of body. Plus counting calories, what takes like 5 min before every meal. Don't tell me people don't have that much time. :)
    Also, it is triggering to anyone recovering from anorexia nervosa or anorexia athletica because it makes people feel worse about themselves.
    Yes and alcohol advertisements trigger people who are recovering from alcohol. Flashing lights at city center at night trigger people who are epileptic. So what? Just because somebody has problems does not make rest of society responsible to threat them special. Neither it makes rest of us guilty for them having that problem. It's their job to not go where lights are flashing, not to watch alcohol ads and not starve.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    For the love of humanity ... now "fat" is a protected class?

This is the sort of thing that makes me want to go all Ruby Ridge and say "**** society. I'll just go hide out in the woods until the world ends."
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

It takes an hour a day. Anybody who wants to, can.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What do you think? FB police did the right thing? I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right? .....

Wut?? Where did she say anything close to that?

Double Wut???? It amuses me how it's okay for people to just slam anyone that stays in shape by saying they don't have anything important to do or that they should be spending that time with their kids. SO, job, charity work, church, or whatever.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    People like their excuses and don't have the willpower to even admit that they are their own worst enemies. It's just easier to blame the lady who puts in the effort and calls them on their B.S.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are still talking about this same women? Do we really need another thread about this?

Also, my perception is that the OP does not personally think the things she stated in the OP. She was presenting two different ways of thinking about it and was actually being a little bit sarcastic when she said the negative things about the "fit mom" (LOL).

But, no, this is definitely not what hate speech is.

Edit: I just read it. Ok, I see she is probably just trying to get more media attention. I don't think she is being "persecuted", either. There is nothing wrong with her fitness. That's awesome. Personally, she does not strike me as being profoundly bright just from the things that she chooses to talk about (sorry). Tons of fit people are fit and bright. This is not a judgement on fit people. I'm a fit mom also.

But, who knows why people are so focused on her. Is she trying to get attention or are people oddly fixated on her? That's the real question.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Double Wut???? It amuses me how it's okay for people to just slam anyone that stays in shape by saying they don't have anything important to do or that they should be spending that time with their kids. SO, job, charity work, church, or whatever.
    Honestly a majority of the time I have observed that people that are in great shape are very productive and well organized, thus being able to do the "important things" what ever that is meant to mean, I guess you were referring to what DavPul mentioned above as well as committing to consistent training...a lot of my friends on here train hard and often and also have families,jobs and other commitments.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Pretty big difference between being obese and ripped.

Just saying.

Being a huge fat person is, frankly, unacceptable. I was not proud of myself or my body when I was fat. So I did something about it.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think she is exactly correct that America is becoming far too tolerant of obesity. In most cases, obesity is the result of poor decisions rather than bad luck. Furthermore, it is just as harmful to individuals and society as alcoholism or smoking. People should stand up and say that obesity is not something that should be encouraged. If that makes the obese feel bad, they can do something to change. I'm not some skinny person saying this - I am still obese and have a long way to go to reach my goal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    In most cases, obesity is the result of poor decisions rather than bad luck.

Three billion hungry people just had their heads explode at the thought of living with an abundance of food being a state of "bad luck".
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    After reading the article, I would say the OP completely misrepresented the woman in question. The woman is advocating a healthy lifestyle and she's upset by a growing movement that celebrates unhealthy ones. She doesn't hate fat people, she just hates all of the excuses people make.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

That's an outright lie.

Why are you misrepresenting a fellow human being like this?
    I think the OP means that is the opinion of those shouting and being offended by her comments. I could be wrong.

I don't get what she's done wrong. Even at my fattest and most insecure, I never took anything of the sort so personally. If you take offense to such things, look in the mirror for the only reason why.
    People like their excuses and don't have the willpower to even admit that they are their own worst enemies. It's just easier to blame the lady who puts in the effort and calls them on their B.S.
    I <3 you
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.
    Don't need it either. Eat properly, do a single burnout set at medium-heavy weight for each muscle group once a week and you will improve your physique. It may take longer than for someone who has more time to commit, but you'll get there.

And your quote is entirely invalidated if you watch TV at home at all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ lol

Yea, that one hour is hard to find for those with 90 hour workweeks. Everyone else? Not so much.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that I knew she was a shockjocktrampmeanie and now FB does too. And so do plus sized women. She coasted on the guise of motivating fitness mom and road the coattails of other actually motivating fitness professionals only to reveal her true self now in her criticism of women who are either at a different place in their journey of self love, acceptance, and self care, OR just have different priorities.

.............and she just froze my PC looking at that link...that skank!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg
This discussion has been closed.