Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

And obviously posting on the Internet.

Do you watch tv, do all the cleaning in a house? It is your decision to not exercise. Everyone pretty much has 2% of their week to exercise if they want it. That's 3 1/2 hrs a week. If you don't want it - ok.
    Ssh logic is not allowed on the threads.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

Do you watch tv, do all the cleaning in a house? It is your decision to not exercise. Everyone pretty much has 2% of their week to exercise if they want it. That's 3 1/2 hrs a week. If you don't want it - ok.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Maybe she and her family are all posting on MFP together.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

and even less if you choose the eat less route. that takes like zero time. and can get you to a version of thin. not my preferred version but a version I had to settle for nonetheless. it's totally doable. i did it. no gym time whatsoever.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people use the "real woman' tag when referring to overweight. As though the only way to be a real woman is to be fat. If that's all that there is to the controversy, then I agree with the fit mom. I didn't do any additional research to see if she'd done any type of body shaming (which I would then criticize her for).

Yeah, I agree here.

But, also being bothered by the real women phrase is not something I have the energy for either. I just don't care.

I guess I'm just a stickler for avoiding misrepresentation. It only bothers me to the extent that I don't think the woman should be accused of hate speech for pointing out the hypocrisy. Congratulations on your energy saving apathy?

Another I don't like.
    "Real men prefer curves, only dogs like a bone."

Now we are shaming the fake men? The one's who like bones. All the shaming! And the bones. But not the curves, right? Amirite? Because size 14 or 4 those are always a part of me. As are my spending dollars.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Oh. This again.
    There is a lot of hate for a woman who posted a picture oh her with a perfectly flat stomach 4 days after giving birth. She worked out through the pregnancy, didn't gain much and has great genetics. Still people accuse her of all sorts of things.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515971/Footballers-wife-sparks-outrage-Norway-posting-picture-flat-stomach-days-giving-birth.html
  • copselily
    Options
    I thought the first photograph she posted (the "What's your excuse?" one) was body shaming, but perhaps well intentioned on her part. However, reading her recent comments in this article confirms to me she is a fat phobic, especially this sentence:
    "Start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline."

For your information, Maria Kang, the world already DOES celebrate people with thin and fit bodies, even if there are a minority of people who don't! It's just down right annoying that she thinks thin/fit people are getting the crappy end of the stick here.

She's now equating being thin and/or fit with positive attributes (discipline, dedication, etc) and implying that fat people aren't any of those things. It's not okay, and I'm surprised she's still continuing to dig herself an even bigger hole than last time. Smh.
  • brower47
    Options
    I hate it when people use the "real woman' tag when referring to overweight. As though the only way to be a real woman is to be fat. If that's all that there is to the controversy, then I agree with the fit mom. I didn't do any additional research to see if she'd done any type of body shaming (which I would then criticize her for).

Yeah, I agree here.

But, also being bothered by the real women phrase is not something I have the energy for either. I just don't care.

I guess I'm just a stickler for avoiding misrepresentation. It only bothers me to the extent that I don't think the woman should be accused of hate speech for pointing out the hypocrisy. Congratulations on your energy saving apathy?

Another I don't like.

Now we are shaming the fake men? The one's who like bones. All the shaming! And the bones. But not the curves, right? Amirite? Because size 14 or 4 those are always a part of me. As are my spending dollars.

I like bones. :wink: Am I fake?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options
    I thought the first photograph she posted (the "What's your excuse?" one) was body shaming, but perhaps well intentioned on her part. However, reading her recent comments in this article confirms to me she is a fat phobic, especially this sentence:
    "Start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline."

She's now equating being thin and/or fit with positive attributes (discipline, dedication, etc) and implying that fat people aren't any of those things. It's not okay, and I'm surprised she's still continuing to dig herself an even bigger hole than last time. Smh.

Equating fit with discipline, dedication, etc is correct.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree here.

Another I don't like.

What's wrong with dogs? Call the ASPCA!
  • copselily
    Options

Yes, it does take discipline and dedication to become fit, but that doesn't mean that fat people don't have discipline or dedication either. There is more to being disciplined than having a fit body.
  • brower47
    Options

^This. That's not to say we can't be dedicated to our works-in-progress states. The 'fit mom' isn't decrying all fat people, just the ones who make excuses in the form of hypocritical ad campaigns.
  • copselily
    Options

^This. That's not to say we can't be dedicated to our works-in-progress states. The 'fit mom' isn't decrying all fat people, just the ones who make excuses in the form of hypocritical ad campaigns.

She IS decrying all fat people, and even people with just average sized bodies, when she says "What's YOUR excuse" for not looking like her.
  • brower47
    Options

Yes, it does take discipline and dedication to become fit, but that doesn't mean that fat people don't have discipline or dedication either. There is more to being disciplined than having a fit body.

The 'fit mom' was talking about dedication in any terms but fitness. You can be dedicated in one area and the opposite in another.

Example:
    I'm dedicated to my studies. I'm not very dedicated about vacuuming.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Oh. This again.
    There is a lot of hate for a woman who posted a picture oh her with a perfectly flat stomach 4 days after giving birth. She worked out through the pregnancy, didn't gain much and has great genetics. Still people accuse her of all sorts of things.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515971/Footballers-wife-sparks-outrage-Norway-posting-picture-flat-stomach-days-giving-birth.html

Wow. That was 4 days after giving birth? Okay, this IS freaky.

article-2515971-19B9CC8700000578-402_634x628.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options

Didn't read the whole article. Does she actually say that anywhere in there?
  • copselily
    Options

Yeah. I don't want it.

I actually don't want a six pack or a squatter's butt.

I do an hour or so of exercise per day if possible, and I'm pretty much happy with that. It's absolutely fine to be happy with yourself where you are at right now.
  • copselily
    Options

Yes:

"Maria Kang, known as the "Fit Mom," was temporarily banned from Facebook this week after she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

And then:

"Kang wrote another message on her Facebook page about the controversy, saying she didn't want to shame overweight people but that she believes people are celebrating unhealthy habits.

"I think you should love yourself," Kang told ABCNews.com. "But there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself.""
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Can't be fit without discipline. But discipline doesn't not necessarily result in fitness. Discipline is a tool not a magic wand.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options
    Oh. This again.

Wow. That was 4 days after giving birth? Okay, this IS freaky.

article-2515971-19B9CC8700000578-402_634x628.jpg

Yes, 4 days. She's a model, worked hard etc. It's not what people usually look like after giving birth. But I don't think that just because she does look like that she should hide it.

I have a picture of my mom holding me when I was 3 weeks old and she weighed about 115 pounds in it. Said her belly was pretty much back to normal too. But like i said, that's not the norm.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yes:

"Maria Kang, known as the "Fit Mom," was temporarily banned from Facebook this week after she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

And then:

"Kang wrote another message on her Facebook page about the controversy, saying she didn't want to shame overweight people but that she believes people are celebrating unhealthy habits.

"I think you should love yourself," Kang told ABCNews.com. "But there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself.""

So in other words, "No"?
This discussion has been closed.