Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I do think she tends to lean a little strong in her direction, but what she said does have some merit. Obesity is growing in acceptance these days and could potentially be a bad thing. I don't mean acceptance in terms of obese people not being bullied or made to feel horrible about themselves, because I agree this is a bad thing. But rather I think that the whole Fat Acceptance movement could normalize obesity on a cultural level and cause complacency.

I do understand where you are coming from, and you do have a good point, but I don't think the problem is that the Fat Acceptance movement is NORMALISING obesity, it's that people are misunderstanding what Fat Acceptance is all about. :smile:

Perhaps, but I'm sure you can understand how things can be taken out of context.
  • copselily
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

It takes an hour a day. Anybody who wants to, can.

That's fine. I think my issue is with the general message that everyone should want to. If one person is happily overweight, that doesn't negate or devalue another person who is happily fit. and vice versa.

Of course, both sides attack the other to make themselves feel better. D: I'm pretty sure both sides are acting like *kitten* here.

I agree. Alcoholics and drug addicts shouldn't change either. Everyone should be happy just the way they are. Everyone is special in their own special way.

*group hug*

Oh, don't worry, society stigmatises addiction already, but hey, that's a whole new topic. :wink:
  • wheird
    Options
    Yeah. Seems like she likes the notoriety. We're probably doing her a favour even discussing it. :ohwell:

I agree

I agree as well, but I still think that it is a worthy topic to discuss.

Me too, it does get me annoyed though unfortunately.

Not so much at her in general, because I think a lot of people in the fitness community (and the media) perpetuate the kind of things she has to say. She's not saying anything original. It just hits a nerve with me on a personal level because I hate body policing of any sort and know how bad it has made me feel over the years. It's just unacceptable and I have no tolerance for it.

I do think she tends to lean a little strong in her direction, but what she said does have some merit. Obesity is growing in acceptance these days and could potentially be a bad thing. I don't mean acceptance in terms of obese people not being bullied or made to feel horrible about themselves, because I agree this is a bad thing. But rather I think that the whole Fat Acceptance movement could normalize obesity on a cultural level and cause complacency.

I think it is already normalized and the culture is already complacent and being a meanie does nothing to correct that. Education however does. Also accessibility. This site provides both. Shaming and name calling on social media or ads do not.

I agree. Body shaming in either direction is wrong.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I now find anyone who doesn't look after themselves exceptionally unattractive, especially when they think it's normal to be fat. I think it's disgusting people posting pictures saying this is what normal people look like, no it isn't, it's what unhealthy people look like. (extremely controversial post)

Please duck. We had just gotten to a happy place in here. Tomatoes may be incoming.

Yep. There was understanding and middle ground happening and everything. Ooopsies.
  • copselily
    Options

I do understand where you are coming from, and you do have a good point, but I don't think the problem is that the Fat Acceptance movement is NORMALISING obesity, it's that people are misunderstanding what Fat Acceptance is all about. :smile:

Perhaps, but I'm sure you can understand how things can be taken out of context.

Definitely. And it IS being taken out of context, over and over again. Maybe it hasn't been made clear enough, or maybe it's the fact that society is so fat phobic that the mere suggestion of Fat Acceptance leads them to jump to conclusions about what it is and what it does? Maybe a mixture of both.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Seems like she likes the notoriety. We're probably doing her a favour even discussing it. :ohwell:

I agree

Not so much at her in general, because I think a lot of people in the fitness community (and the media) perpetuate the kind of things she has to say. She's not saying anything original. It just hits a nerve with me on a personal level because I hate body policing of any sort and know how bad it has made me feel over the years. It's just unacceptable and I have no tolerance for it.

I think it is already normalized and the culture is already complacent and being a meanie does nothing to correct that. Education however does. Also accessibility. This site provides both. Shaming and name calling on social media or ads do not.

One direction is just apparently less wrong than the other...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In...

...because the last Kang thread was epic.

^that sounds like a thong.

HA!!
    In because this.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

It takes an hour a day. Anybody who wants to, can.

That's fine. I think my issue is with the general message that everyone should want to. If one person is happily overweight, that doesn't negate or devalue another person who is happily fit. and vice versa.

Of course, both sides attack the other to make themselves feel better. D: I'm pretty sure both sides are acting like *kitten* here.

I agree. Alcoholics and drug addicts shouldn't change either. Everyone should be happy just the way they are. Everyone is special in their own special way.

*group hug*

Oh, don't worry, society stigmatises addiction already, but hey, that's a whole new topic. :wink:

I'm sorry your life is so hard. All those meanies pushing for positive change . . .
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she posted something on her own personal facebook page that went viral, was picked up by the news agencies, and then people lined up to call her names and belittle her parenting skills.

How dare she ever post anything on facebook again!!! Hasn't she learned her lesson? Does she need to get put back in her place again? I am certain that from reading the 26 words from both of her posts we can ascertain everything that she is, along with all the animus in her soul. She's a black hearted villian with no redeeming value. Let's line up to check her again.

Because everyone that posts on Facebook is an attention seeking *kitten*, right?
  • wheird
    Options

Yeah, one is more "empowering" than the other. Besides, it isn't like skinny, fit people have anything to feel bad about, right?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I agree

One direction is just so wrong. one-direction-free-cookies-650.jpg I mean look at their habits!
  • Otterluv
    Options

I agree

I dunno' Jof. It's pretty ugly in all directions. People are people, and there is probably an equal number of *kitten* in every body type, ready to shame someone and feel morally justified in doing so.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Her point was that there is so much obesity in America that instead of choosing health and improving ourselves, we just accept our obesity as a new healthy... Her point is that she is not going to accept that for herself and her family. I don't see it as hate speech at all. She is not calling anyone fat or putting anyone down. She is just pointing out a fact that most people choose to ignore.
  • copselily
    Options

One direction is just so wrong. one-direction-free-cookies-650.jpg I mean look at their habits!

:laugh:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:laugh: It's the hair.
  • copselily
    Options
    Can we make this thread about One Direction and boycott Maria Kang's fat phobic crap?

tumblr_mtwyug6Wur1swnzfro1_500.gif
  • Otterluv
    Options

:laugh: It's the hair.

STAHP BOYBAND SHAMING!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

ZABxsxf.gif

I'm putting this gif here, assuming that it's one of those One Direction kids. Really, I have no idea, because in my time boy bands had real names like "Menudo" and "New Kids on the Block". GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she posted something on her own personal facebook page that went viral, was picked up by the news agencies, and then people lined up to call her names and belittle her parenting skills.

How dare she ever post anything on facebook again!!! Hasn't she learned her lesson? Does she need to get put back in her place again? I am certain that from reading the 26 words from both of her posts we can ascertain everything that she is, along with all the animus in her soul. She's a black hearted villian with no redeeming value. Let's line up to check her again.

Because everyone that posts on Facebook is an attention seeking *kitten*, right?

If she was a woman who let's say went from 210 pounds to 170, posting a pic with her 3 kids captioned with "what's your excuse", I have a feeling that the public's reaction wouldn't have been anything like this.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a question ... Was she ever over weight? Not just after pregnancy but you know more than 20 lbs overweight for any significant time... because unless you know the battle you really shouldn't judge ... I was just wondering because that really makes a difference to me..
This discussion has been closed.