Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• copselily
    Options
    I think that like many similar situations, this shows that a lot of people are just desperate for a reason to be offended.

"I think you should love yourself," Kang told ABCNews.com. "But there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself.""

clint-eastwood-snarls.gif

But what if people love themselves and don't even care about "progressing" themselves?

Why are you bothered by the ones who do?
    Further more, the people who truly don't care about progressing themselves won't care about what she is saying because they won't feel like she is referring to them.
    People who would want to be fit, but have some excuse for not putting in the work will be the ones who feel called out.

I am not bothered by ones who do, and nowhere have I even said that. Please stick to what I've actually said.

And actually, it DOES bother people who aren't striving to be fit or thin, because she is directly targeting fat people who are OKAY with being fat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

You can be fit without spending an hour a day at the gym, it just might take a little longer (depending on your starting point). But, you could spend 45 minutes, 3 times a week at the gym.

Yeah - for clarification - an hour a day is enough to get someone to an exceptionally high level of fitness. If you just want to be "normally" fit, 3 hours a week is going to be enough.

If the goal is to simply not be fat, then zero hours a week is enough.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    But what if people love themselves and don't even care about "progressing" themselves?

Fine. Then don't. It's a choice but we don't have Olympics for that event.

Well that's fine :wink: But maybe Ms Kang should quit equating self love with being fit and thin, because fat people can absolutely love themselves too. Being fit and disciplined has jack to do with loving yourself, what about the people who starve themselves to be thin, or orthorexics for that matter?

Her logic is just totally flawed.

Wow. Upthread you questioned someone's comprehension skills, but you should be questioning your make-believe skills. You've created an entire fantasy world in which complete and total strangers are judging you based on their own criteria for self improvement. A world where people that exercise and watch what they eat are on the same plane as people with eating disorders.

How is the air up there?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I thought the first photograph she posted (the "What's your excuse?" one) was body shaming, but perhaps well intentioned on her part. However, reading her recent comments in this article confirms to me she is a fat phobic, especially this sentence:
    "Start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline."

She's now equating being thin and/or fit with positive attributes (discipline, dedication, etc) and implying that fat people aren't any of those things. It's not okay, and I'm surprised she's still continuing to dig herself an even bigger hole than last time. Smh.

Equating fit with discipline, dedication, etc is correct.

Yes, it does take discipline and dedication to become fit, but that doesn't mean that fat people don't have discipline or dedication either. There is more to being disciplined than having a fit body.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Can't be fit without discipline. But discipline doesn't not necessarily result in fitness. Discipline is a tool not a magic wand.

I haven't said that. You need to read what I AM saying rather than assuming things that I actually HAVEN'T said. Fitness requires discipline, yes. But that doesn't mean people who don't look like Maria Kang don't have discipline.

Sure. So? No one has said otherwise. You are assuming the post hoc ergo propter hoc of other people in your mind. You need discipline and exercise to be fit. Having discipline isn't enough. If you are not disciplined you won't succeed, so yes, some people not succeeding aren't disciplined. Not all.

I think we should end this little back-and-forth dialogue now... your comprehension skills are pretty low.

No, sorry she is equating that people are the SUM of those 3 things not only dedication. You are misreading what she wrote dedication, hard work AND discipline. It does take that to succeed in the gym. Do people that have those qualities remain fat? Absolutely, priorities, preference, etc... Look at some powerlifters who are large by choice just as one example. The negation of her statement is your assumption and yet you insist that I am the one reading into what you didn't say.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

^ lol

Yea, that one hour is hard to find for those with 90 hour workweeks. Everyone else? Not so much.

I will LOL with you as I know people in my gold's gym that do work 80-90 hours a week and they are in the gym at 4:00 am with my husband and I getting in a workout before they go to their 14 or 15 hour work day
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people use the "real woman' tag when referring to overweight. As though the only way to be a real woman is to be fat. If that's all that there is to the controversy, then I agree with the fit mom. I didn't do any additional research to see if she'd done any type of body shaming (which I would then criticize her for).

Yeah, I agree here.

But, also being bothered by the real women phrase is not something I have the energy for either. I just don't care.

I guess I'm just a stickler for avoiding misrepresentation. It only bothers me to the extent that I don't think the woman should be accused of hate speech for pointing out the hypocrisy. Congratulations on your energy saving apathy?

Another I don't like.
    "Real men prefer curves, only dogs like a bone."

No, I mean it used to bother me a lot. And I would talk about it. But, it just seems that it's been talked about a lot and I stopped allowing it to get a rise out of me now. This is only about me, not a judgement on any other person. I mean that it seems most people are in agreement now about the real women phrase. But, if people reverted back to the way it was before I would care again. Maybe this is more clear.

Yes, that phrase about real men and bones and dogs is disgusting!!

are you sure it's not just a wee bit giggity? in the right context?
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

^ lol

Yea, that one hour is hard to find for those with 90 hour workweeks. Everyone else? Not so much.

I work 88 hours a week ( for 3 weeks at a time )and am on call every day of those three weeks . I still have time to work out twice a day ...although I do not have to cook and clean house or care for children for those 3 weeks at a time ... so maybe my arguement is moot. lol

anyhow , we can all make excuses but noone should be trying to make anyone else look or feel bad.

Good for her she's thin ok ... Good for the other women who are happy being what ever size they are - They are all " real women"
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people use the "real woman' tag when referring to overweight. As though the only way to be a real woman is to be fat. If that's all that there is to the controversy, then I agree with the fit mom. I didn't do any additional research to see if she'd done any type of body shaming (which I would then criticize her for).

Yeah, I agree here.

But, also being bothered by the real women phrase is not something I have the energy for either. I just don't care.

I guess I'm just a stickler for avoiding misrepresentation. It only bothers me to the extent that I don't think the woman should be accused of hate speech for pointing out the hypocrisy. Congratulations on your energy saving apathy?

Another I don't like.

No, I mean it used to bother me a lot. And I would talk about it. But, it just seems that it's been talked about a lot and I stopped allowing it to get a rise out of me now. This is only about me, not a judgement on any other person. I mean that it seems most people are in agreement now about the real women phrase. But, if people reverted back to the way it was before I would care again. Maybe this is more clear.

I could gnaw on the right bone for hours
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree here.

Another I don't like.

Aaah, I can see that now...:laugh: :wink: .

But, the way some people use it is dehumanizing to thin women. And plenty thin women have low self-worth and end up in abusive relationships with men that say they can't do any better.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I thought the first photograph she posted (the "What's your excuse?" one) was body shaming, but perhaps well intentioned on her part. However, reading her recent comments in this article confirms to me she is a fat phobic, especially this sentence:
    "Start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline."

She's now equating being thin and/or fit with positive attributes (discipline, dedication, etc) and implying that fat people aren't any of those things. It's not okay, and I'm surprised she's still continuing to dig herself an even bigger hole than last time. Smh.

Equating fit with discipline, dedication, etc is correct.

Yes, it does take discipline and dedication to become fit, but that doesn't mean that fat people don't have discipline or dedication either. There is more to being disciplined than having a fit body.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Can't be fit without discipline. But discipline doesn't not necessarily result in fitness. Discipline is a tool not a magic wand.

I haven't said that. You need to read what I AM saying rather than assuming things that I actually HAVEN'T said. Fitness requires discipline, yes. But that doesn't mean people who don't look like Maria Kang don't have discipline.

Sure. So? No one has said otherwise. You are assuming the post hoc ergo propter hoc of other people in your mind. You need discipline and exercise to be fit. Having discipline isn't enough. If you are not disciplined you won't succeed, so yes, some people not succeeding aren't disciplined. Not all.

I think we should end this little back-and-forth dialogue now... your comprehension skills are pretty low.

No, sorry she is equating that people are the SUM of those 3 things not only dedication. You are misreading what she wrote dedication, hard work AND discipline. It does take that to succeed in the gym. Do people that have those qualities remain fat? Absolutely, priorities, preference, etc... Look at some powerlifters who are large by choice just as one example. The negation of her statement is your assumption and yet you insist that I am the one reading into what you didn't say.

that original sentence in question reads like jelly. it sounds like she's just saying. "celebrate me! and not those other women because....fat." I'm still not liking her tone or message in general. All my thin fit friends who on average are like 10-20% more hot than her, do NOT behave that way. They just add sweet, patient, kind, and graceful to their repertoire of all the awesome things that they are.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Didn't read the whole article. Does she actually say that anywhere in there?

Yes:

"Maria Kang, known as the "Fit Mom," was temporarily banned from Facebook this week after she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

And then:

"Kang wrote another message on her Facebook page about the controversy, saying she didn't want to shame overweight people but that she believes people are celebrating unhealthy habits.

"I think you should love yourself," Kang told ABCNews.com. "But there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself.""
    So in other words, "No"?

LOL, that's exactly my thinking.

Did the original article outline the overweight lingerie women's habits? Were they unhealthy?... because if not she was criticizing their photo's and their pride in them.
    there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself

Also there is the path that is I hated myself, then I loved myself and accepted myself, then I WANTED to progress myself. And shaming of women as they are IMO gets in the way of that path.

...she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

This annoys me too and I fit into the 'real women' category that the online group promotes. The fit mom is thin and this ad campaign implies that she's not a real woman. It's body shaming going in the opposite direction. If the ad campaign said something to the effect of 'beautiful at any size' or 'we're beautiful' or anything else that was an empowering statement that didn't have to malign another group in the process then it would be a non issue but they didn't. They said that they are the real women, implying that anyone that doesn't fit into their definition is something akin to a freak.
  • copselily
    Options

Fine. Then don't. It's a choice but we don't have Olympics for that event.

Well that's fine :wink: But maybe Ms Kang should quit equating self love with being fit and thin, because fat people can absolutely love themselves too. Being fit and disciplined has jack to do with loving yourself, what about the people who starve themselves to be thin, or orthorexics for that matter?

Her logic is just totally flawed.

Wow. Upthread you questioned someone's comprehension skills, but you should be questioning your make-believe skills. You've created an entire fantasy world in which complete and total strangers are judging you based on their own criteria for self improvement. A world where people that exercise and watch what they eat are on the same plane as people with eating disorders.

How is the air up there?

My point is that self love is not necessarily synonymous with fitness. For some people (and for myself) it is, but not everyone.

For example, just because someone works out or looks thin doesn't mean they love themselves. They could have a disorder or be harming themselves, like I stated above.

So, just because someone is fat doesn't mean they can't love themselves, which is basically what Kang is implying and has also implied on other occasions too.

I just find her quite toxic in general and don't think she's a good role model for women. That's just my opinion and you have every right to feel otherwise.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yeah, I agree here.

Another I don't like.

Aaah, I can see that now...:laugh: :wink: .

But, the way some people use it is dehumanizing to thin women. And plenty thin women have low self-worth and end up in abusive relationships with men that say they can't do any better.

yeah people throw that phrase around to bash thin women way too much. like it's not okay to say I'm pretty when I'm chubby without adding the illogical consequence "thus you are ugly since you are thin".....so not the point or conclusion. I could start gif bombing the place with beautiful women who might be thought "too fat" or "too thin" by SOMEONE, but you get my point. My pride and beauty at any size need not detract from someone elses at their current size. IMO.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I read the article, I didn't find anything she said particularly hateful or out of line. For the most part, I agree with her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    One can still prioritize their family and still have an hour to spend on physical fitness. And getting "ripped" is more about eating than working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • copselily
    Options

This annoys me too and I fit into the 'real women' category that the online group promotes. The fit mom is thin and this ad campaign implies that she's not a real woman. It's body shaming going in the opposite direction. If the ad campaign said something to the effect of 'beautiful at any size' or 'we're beautiful' or anything else that was an empowering statement that didn't have to malign another group in the process then it would be a non issue but they didn't. They said that they are the real women, implying that anyone that doesn't fit into their definition is something akin to a freak.

I do agree with you on this. All women are 'real' women, all bodies are good bodies.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Didn't read the whole article. Does she actually say that anywhere in there?

Yes:

"Maria Kang, known as the "Fit Mom," was temporarily banned from Facebook this week after she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

And then:

"Kang wrote another message on her Facebook page about the controversy, saying she didn't want to shame overweight people but that she believes people are celebrating unhealthy habits.

So in other words, "No"?

LOL, that's exactly my thinking.

Did the original article outline the overweight lingerie women's habits? Were they unhealthy?... because if not she was criticizing their photo's and their pride in them.
    there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself

Also there is the path that is I hated myself, then I loved myself and accepted myself, then I WANTED to progress myself. And shaming of women as they are IMO gets in the way of that path.

...she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

yeah I still don't like that phrase, I'm right there with you brower. only thing is I don't like her either. in general. in a je ne sais quois kinda way. I wouldn't be surprised to see she does something pretty heinous next. or just gets a reality show.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Also, my perception is that the OP does not personally think the things she stated in the OP. She was presenting two different ways of thinking about it and was actually being a little bit sarcastic when she said the negative things about the "fit mom" (LOL).

^^^ I read it this way too.

Seems to me there's a little bit of body shaming from both. Fit Mom says "What's your excuse?", which can be perceived as shaming those that don't look like her. The lingerie folks claim that this is what "real women" look like. I wouldn't pitch my tent in either camp :ohwell:
  • copselily
    Options

yeah I still don't like that phrase, I'm right there with you brower. only thing is I don't like her either. in general. in a je ne sais quois kinda way. I wouldn't be surprised to see she does something pretty heinous next. or just gets a reality show.

Yeah. Seems like she likes the notoriety. We're probably doing her a favour even discussing it. :ohwell:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    One can still prioritize their family and still have an hour to spend on physical fitness. And getting "ripped" is more about eating than working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yup, you could take a bike ride as a family, go to the park, play sports, etc. There are a number of possibilities.
This discussion has been closed.