Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• copselily
    Options
    I thought the first photograph she posted (the "What's your excuse?" one) was body shaming, but perhaps well intentioned on her part. However, reading her recent comments in this article confirms to me she is a fat phobic, especially this sentence:
    "Start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline."

She's now equating being thin and/or fit with positive attributes (discipline, dedication, etc) and implying that fat people aren't any of those things. It's not okay, and I'm surprised she's still continuing to dig herself an even bigger hole than last time. Smh.

Equating fit with discipline, dedication, etc is correct.

Yes, it does take discipline and dedication to become fit, but that doesn't mean that fat people don't have discipline or dedication either. There is more to being disciplined than having a fit body.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Can't be fit without discipline. But discipline doesn't not necessarily result in fitness. Discipline is a tool not a magic wand.

I haven't said that. You need to read what I AM saying rather than assuming things that I actually HAVEN'T said. Fitness requires discipline, yes. But that doesn't mean people who don't look like Maria Kang don't have discipline.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I thought the first photograph she posted (the "What's your excuse?" one) was body shaming, but perhaps well intentioned on her part. However, reading her recent comments in this article confirms to me she is a fat phobic, especially this sentence:
    "Start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline."

She's now equating being thin and/or fit with positive attributes (discipline, dedication, etc) and implying that fat people aren't any of those things. It's not okay, and I'm surprised she's still continuing to dig herself an even bigger hole than last time. Smh.

^This. That's not to say we can't be dedicated to our works-in-progress states. The 'fit mom' isn't decrying all fat people, just the ones who make excuses in the form of hypocritical ad campaigns.

She IS decrying all fat people, and even people with just average sized bodies, when she says "What's YOUR excuse" for not looking like her.

"What's your excuse?"

It means literally what's it asking. What's your excuse for not being fit. There wasn't an additional caption that read "for not looking exactly like me and having the exact fitness level."

Edit: put my response in the middle of the quotes... hur dur
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yes, it does take discipline and dedication to become fit, but that doesn't mean that fat people don't have discipline or dedication either. There is more to being disciplined than having a fit body.

Didn't read the whole article. Does she actually say that anywhere in there?

Yes:

"Maria Kang, known as the "Fit Mom," was temporarily banned from Facebook this week after she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

And then:

"Kang wrote another message on her Facebook page about the controversy, saying she didn't want to shame overweight people but that she believes people are celebrating unhealthy habits.

"I think you should love yourself," Kang told ABCNews.com. "But there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself.""

Nope sorry. She didn't say a thing about dedication of fat people.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

And obviously posting on the Internet.

Do you watch tv, do all the cleaning in a house? It is your decision to not exercise. Everyone pretty much has 2% of their week to exercise if they want it. That's 3 1/2 hrs a week. If you don't want it - ok.

Yeah. I don't want it.

I actually don't want a six pack or a squatter's butt.

I do an hour or so of exercise per day if possible, and I'm pretty much happy with that. It's absolutely fine to be happy with yourself where you are at right now.

I want them, but not bad enough to workout hard for them. Just bad enough to buy someone who has them a couple of adios mother's. :drinker: Then I can HAVE my cake and eat it too.
  • copselily
    Options

Yes:

"Maria Kang, known as the "Fit Mom," was temporarily banned from Facebook this week after she wrote a post complaining about the positive media coverage of an online group that encourages plus-sizewomen to post photos of themselves in lingerie to show what "real women" look like."

And then:

"Kang wrote another message on her Facebook page about the controversy, saying she didn't want to shame overweight people but that she believes people are celebrating unhealthy habits.

"I think you should love yourself," Kang told ABCNews.com. "But there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself.""

She basically said they don't have any, because we should be celebrating "disciplined and dedicated" (aka, Fit People" instead. I don't know why you need this simplifying for you.
  • copselily
    Options
    Everyone does not have an hour a day to spend in the gym. I'll admit it's about priorities. I put my husband and three kids above having a ripped body.

And obviously posting on the Internet.

Do you watch tv, do all the cleaning in a house? It is your decision to not exercise. Everyone pretty much has 2% of their week to exercise if they want it. That's 3 1/2 hrs a week. If you don't want it - ok.

Yeah. I don't want it.

I actually don't want a six pack or a squatter's butt.

I do an hour or so of exercise per day if possible, and I'm pretty much happy with that. It's absolutely fine to be happy with yourself where you are at right now.

I want them, but not bad enough to workout hard for them. Just bad enough to buy someone who has them a couple of adios mother's. :drinker: Then I can HAVE my cake and eat it too.

Yeah, I totally get that. I am absolutely the same. Some people just don't understand that not everyone cares enough about that crap, and that's totally okay.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I think that like many similar situations, this shows that a lot of people are just desperate for a reason to be offended.

clint-eastwood-snarls.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yes:

And then:

Is the article too long to bring here? Via copy/pasta? What about the original offending "real women" lingerie verbage? Just because I don't want my computer to crash again but would like to see what I missed? All in all it's sounding like she's a meanie at heart and it's being noticed. The original article seems to have been mean as well, but you can't really call out a bunch of overweight women as being meanies because they pull the race card on you. Right? Amirite?

Pro-Tip: 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh. This again.
    There is a lot of hate for a woman who posted a picture oh her with a perfectly flat stomach 4 days after giving birth. She worked out through the pregnancy, didn't gain much and has great genetics. Still people accuse her of all sorts of things.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515971/Footballers-wife-sparks-outrage-Norway-posting-picture-flat-stomach-days-giving-birth.html

Wow. That was 4 days after giving birth? Okay, this IS freaky.

article-2515971-19B9CC8700000578-402_634x628.jpg

Freaky? Maybe.

Hawt? Absolutely!
  • copselily
    Options
    I think that like many similar situations, this shows that a lot of people are just desperate for a reason to be offended.

But what if people love themselves and don't even care about "progressing" themselves?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Can't be fit without discipline. But discipline doesn't not necessarily result in fitness. Discipline is a tool not a magic wand.

I haven't said that. You need to read what I AM saying rather than assuming things that I actually HAVEN'T said. Fitness requires discipline, yes. But that doesn't mean people who don't look like Maria Kang don't have discipline.

Sure. So? No one has said otherwise. You are assuming the post hoc ergo propter hoc of other people in your mind. You need discipline and exercise to be fit. Having discipline isn't enough. If you are not disciplined you won't succeed, so yes, some people not succeeding aren't disciplined. Not all.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Yes:

And then:

So in other words, "No"?

LOL, that's exactly my thinking.
  • copselily
    Options

Sure. So? No one has said otherwise. You are assuming the post hoc ergo propter hoc of other people in your mind. You need discipline and exercise to be fit. Having discipline isn't enough. If you are not disciplined you won't succeed, so yes, some people not succeeding aren't disciplined. Not all.

I think we should end this little back-and-forth dialogue now... your comprehension skills are pretty low.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

But what if people love themselves and don't even care about "progressing" themselves?

Fine. Then don't. It's a choice but we don't have Olympics for that event.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    My first thought is, why do I care what this random woman thinks? I go to the gym, I do my part to stay healthy and get down to a healthy weight, and I still think that we should leave overweight people alone. I have had a lifetime of doctors telling me that I am in great health, except that I'm overweight. Just because someone is overweight, that doesn't mean they should be stigmatized. And just because someone is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy, my husband drinks soda as if it's water, and was raised on fast food for every single meal (literally, they had no food in the house), and he's 5'9" and 130lbs. Fat does not equal lazy and skinny does not equal motivated. I exercise almost every day and LOVE going to the gym, he never exercises and hates going to the gym, he'd much rather play video games. But because I'm fat I'm lazy? Um, no. There are worse things to be than fat, I know plenty of very fit girls (at my university) who go to the gym all week, then get hammered every single weekend (many of which drive home drunk). That's not healthy, but nobody complains. Someone jumps out of a plain for the adrenaline rush and we think they are so amazing, even though it's very possible that they could die by that action.

The only reason there's a stigma against overweight people is because it's been sensationalized in the media.
  • copselily
    Options

Fine. Then don't. It's a choice but we don't have Olympics for that event.

Well that's fine :wink: But maybe Ms Kang should quit equating self love with being fit and thin, because fat people can absolutely love themselves too. Being fit and disciplined has jack to do with loving yourself, what about the people who starve themselves to be thin, or orthorexics for that matter?

Her logic is just totally flawed.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Why are you bothered by the ones who do?
    Further more, the people who truly don't care about progressing themselves won't care about what she is saying because they won't feel like she is referring to them.
    People who would want to be fit, but have some excuse for not putting in the work will be the ones who feel called out.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

It takes an hour a day. Anybody who wants to, can.

Sometimes it doesn't even take that long. You can get a good weight work out in and be in and out the gym in 30 minutes........same with cardio.

A person just has to make the time to take care of their health and well being.

Even the lame excuse of not having time to cook.............there are many 30 minute or less meals that combine meat and veggies are healthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people use the "real woman' tag when referring to overweight. As though the only way to be a real woman is to be fat. If that's all that there is to the controversy, then I agree with the fit mom. I didn't do any additional research to see if she'd done any type of body shaming (which I would then criticize her for).

Yeah, I agree here.

But, also being bothered by the real women phrase is not something I have the energy for either. I just don't care.

I guess I'm just a stickler for avoiding misrepresentation. It only bothers me to the extent that I don't think the woman should be accused of hate speech for pointing out the hypocrisy. Congratulations on your energy saving apathy?

Another I don't like.
    "Real men prefer curves, only dogs like a bone."

No, I mean it used to bother me a lot. And I would talk about it. But, it just seems that it's been talked about a lot and I stopped allowing it to get a rise out of me now. This is only about me, not a judgement on any other person. I mean that it seems most people are in agreement now about the real women phrase. But, if people reverted back to the way it was before I would care again. Maybe this is more clear.

Yes, that phrase about real men and bones and dogs is disgusting!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yes:

And then:

So in other words, "No"?

LOL, that's exactly my thinking.

Did the original article outline the overweight lingerie women's habits? Were they unhealthy?... because if not she could only be seen as criticizing their photo's and their pride in them.
    there's a fine line we're walking between I love myself and accept myself, and I love and accept and want to progress myself

Also there is the path that is I hated myself, then I loved myself and accepted myself, then I WANTED to progress myself. And shaming of women as they are IMO gets in the way of that path.
This discussion has been closed.