Who'se looking forward to the January newbies???

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think there will be lots of threads on TOM, not eating back exercise calories, how lifting makes you bulky...

I might just have to take a hiatus from the forums for a few weeks until the resolutioners give up.

I love the TOM threads. How can someone be so clueless about an event that happens every month after about age 11ish?

Careful, that's a strike-able statement right there. :flowerforyou:

True story.

:grumble:
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am sure we have ALL been there at some point. I know I have. Why does it matter?

Yes, that's what I want to know. Everybody was a newbie.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    we can always try the

"have you used the search function? I remember seeing something like your question already around here somewhere."

approach.. might work this year :drinker:

Also a strikeable offense.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't accept any FRs from people with less than a year under their belt, personally. Get off my lawn err friends list!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I don't recall bashing new people (read my original post), but people are going to see what they want to see. Sensitive much?

This is chit chat fun and games, not this that and butthurt games. Carry on.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    No one is saying we should mistreat the new people. No one is saying that they shouldn't be supported...

...but to say that January is just like any other month is disingenuous.

I admire those of you who are (or think you will be) strong during this certainly trying time...

...but I tremble in fear at the thought of it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was a January newbie who was welcomed and helped immensely. Hopefully I will do the same. Pay it forward and all that crap.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather deal with the newbs rather than the immaturity that is posted all day by "veterans".
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I've been on the site about a year and a half now, and if there's one thing I've learned, it's to stay off the forums in January and February. What bothers me the most about it is the fact that so much "Resolutioner" stress can be avoided by using the search feature.

So true! But I also think the search tool is badly in need of retooling. Boolean search maybe? And if you were nudged to see if your question had been adressed previously before you posted a question, that might improve the content of the forums and reduce the frustration factor.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Whoa unto you newbies that stumble into the Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games board. It will be the equvalent of the freshman who accidentally sits at the cool kid table. :devil:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    So no one else was new here once? or EVER faltered? WOW I am going to strive to be that Perfect, NOT!!! It is a journey, with hills and valleys, mistakes and progress. Embrace your journey and if you can't be nice, keep your mouth shut!

this is an example of the over-reacting butt-hurt that will be everywhere in January.

No, this is an example of people who were not raised correctly. I was taught, "if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all!"

Questioning someone's upbringing seems like the kind of thing that should be left unsaid.

You say you were taught "if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all!" ... that statement does not seem accurate.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather deal with the newbs rather than the immaturity that is posted all day by "veterans".

:drinker:
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    On the topic of searching, and the same questions, do we not have a FAQ or ***READ THIS FIRST!!*** section on MFP? Seems like we need one. Here's a few well worn ones we've all seen, feel free to add. I'm not going to put the answers all of them because some topics (I'm looking at you clean eating) are too contentious.

1) I'm female, if I lift am I going to look like Arnold Shwartzeneggar? Answer: No, you don't have enough testosterone, heck most of us guys won't look like Arnie!

2) What is clean eating?Answer: BEEDO! BEEDO! BEEDO! I said I was avoiding that one!!

3) What's better, resistance training or cardio? Answer: They're both better than sitting on the couch.

4) I've been exercising/dieting for x weeks, and I haven't lost weight, help! Answer: First off, sell the scale. Next, go to the store or Goodwill, budget permitting, and get some pants slightly too small, or line up some existing clothes that are a bit too small. Get a sane eating and exercise plan together and try thr pants on evey few weeks, if they suddenly fit, congratulations, go get another pair if required and repeat. If not, evaluate what you're doing, open up your diary (you HAVE been tracking, haven't you?), and ask questions here.

Feel free to add.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I'm looking forward to watching you deal with the newbies...

...so I can see how it's done.

For future reference and to take notes: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/683818

ETA: In reviewing your posting history, you've never posted in the MFP forums in any January...so I suppose your comment was hypothetical and not literal? Looks like you have a proverbial mile to walk in some moccasins first.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I love January, not just because its my birthday month, but all fitness stuff goes on sale, clothes, equipment, etc. Great time to stock up. As for MFP, we get those questions at least one a week anyway, I just ignore them. Though a break from the forums may be in order the first couple of weeks.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Funny how judgmental some people on here can be when it wasn't that long ago that they were new here, and asking questions about net calories etc...

Hmmm. I havenever asked any of those questions here. OK. maybe in a troll post.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    So no one else was new here once? or EVER faltered? WOW I am going to strive to be that Perfect, NOT!!! It is a journey, with hills and valleys, mistakes and progress. Embrace your journey and if you can't be nice, keep your mouth shut!

this is an example of the over-reacting butt-hurt that will be everywhere in January.

No, this is an example of people who were not raised correctly. I was taught, "if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all!"

How do problems get fixed in your culture? Wouldn't you need to identify them and discuss them openly in order to beign to look for a solution?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I'm just hoping one of these new people can FINALLY tell me how to get a thigh gap. I mean, I'm only partially a woman without a thigh gap, amiright?

You never asked me. Stand with your feet further apart! BAM! Instant htigh gap.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I was a January newbie who was welcomed and helped immensely. Hopefully I will do the same. Pay it forward and all that crap.

I was part of the "Adopt-a-noob" program last January. Of the 10 I accepted FRs from , I think only 1 remains.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

How do problems get fixed in your culture? Wouldn't you need to identify them and discuss them openly in order to beign to look for a solution?
    Dirty hippie.