Question about the QUALITY (not the QUANTITY) of calories

Options
15678911»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could get "good nutrition" from the diet of bacon and donuts suggested by the OP? Assuming we are talking average bacon and donut content and not cauliflower donuts or something like that?

No more than you can get "good nutrition" from a diet of cauliflower and coconut oil.

Agreed. But the OP only asked about clean eating vs. donuts and bacon only. Clean eating wins hands down.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could get "good nutrition" from the diet of bacon and donuts suggested by the OP? Assuming we are talking average bacon and donut content and not cauliflower donuts or something like that?

No more than you can get "good nutrition" from a diet of cauliflower and coconut oil.

Agreed. But the OP only asked about clean eating vs. donuts and bacon only. Clean eating wins hands down.

Oh so now you want to talk about the OP?

Well the OP didn't ask about "good nutrition." This is what the OP asked:

"Will a person lose weight at the same rate if you eat 1500 cals of bacon and donuts per day, as if you ate 1500 cals of healthy foods (veggies, lean proteins, grains, whatever you deem to be healthy)?"

The answer to the question asked by the OP is "yes."
  • michaelsontag
    Options
    Reading everyone's post, there is one thing that becomes clear. There is no uniform rule. I know science tries to state one rule to rule them all (LOTR style), but if you look at body typing and blood types, it is clear that we are each a unique machine, and must become cognizant through research of what we are as a specific individual.

For some, their bodies are simple machines. They process sugar well, fat well. For them a calorie is a calorie.

For others (me in this case), their bodies are very specific about what they can and can not tolerate (we can all eat everything, it is just the response that varies). If I want to lose fat, I have to eat fat and protein, with minimal carbs. Definitely no super sweets or grains. Throw win a water fast day 1x a week, and a container of ice cream (high in calcium, if i wake up late on a saturday, go to the gym, come home and eat 1800 cals of ice cream i still am pretty solid) for a meal every now and then, and I am golden.

On a side note, I believe that exercise is something that needs to be customized. For some, they can work out 1-2 times a week and do great. For me, I need to work out at least 5+ times a week (some days easy, some hard). I find that when I am working out routinely, my body is a little more forgiving with what I eat and its impact on reverse weight loss (i.e. gaining).
  • bcattoes
    Options

"Will a person lose weight at the same rate if you eat 1500 cals of bacon and donuts per day, as if you ate 1500 cals of healthy foods (veggies, lean proteins, grains, whatever you deem to be healthy)?"

Perhaps, for a while. But you don't really know that. No one does.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well you can only lose weight "for a while" until you die of malnutrition.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I doubt many would die of malnutrition on 1500 calories of clean food a day (again, from the OP).
  • jonnythan
    Options

I doubt many would die of malnutrition on 1500 calories of clean food a day (again, from the OP).

Groan.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I believe that excessive sugar and fat are bad for you, however my question isn't about whether certain things are good/bad/stupid/healthy to eat, my question is just on basic biology/physiology etc.

Question: (this is for the sake of argument, and I am not intending to try EITHER extremes of diet)

Will a person lose weight at the same rate if you eat 1500 cals of bacon and donuts per day, as if you ate 1500 cals of healthy foods (veggies, lean proteins, grains, whatever you deem to be healthy)?

People always say "calories in, calories out" but I wonder if it is really true. I know everyone has a theory, but does anyone have an actual personal experience where they changed from eating "whatever they wanted" to "eating clean" or "eating healthy," or changed in the reverse direction (possibly when starting to maintain?)

I know everyone likes to quote "calories in, calories out," but I am interested in personal experience instead of ideas and theories and internet blogs. Anyone with personal experience in changing the QUALITY of their diet, please tell me: when you changed the QUALITY of your diet, in what way did you change your diet, how did it affect your weight loss, if at all?

Just curious to what people's actual experiences have been with this.

Thanks in advance!

Voodoo Lady