Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And wow. Why all the hostility?

I just wanted to gain a general idea of where to begin and see how you guys do it. There's really no need for smart *kitten* answers.

Because as soon as someone mentions clean eating the IIFYM crowd comes out in full force to defend their diet.. it's silly really. No one has to agree with your choices. Just do what is right for you, what helps you reach your goals, in a healthy way and ignore the haters. :~)

Do you know what IIFYM is? Because it sounds like you really don't.

sigh. i do. but i'm not getting into this again.
    And for those who are for it, many (many, many) definitions of it.

I think we should start naming the variations of it like vegetarians do. Like one name for clean eaters, another for clean sans dairy another for organic clean eater.. etc.. lol it's just the label they object to and the lack of a "proper" definition really. since most of those who speak out against it really eat clean and then throw in doritos or snickers occasionally. Supposed to support each other, not shame each other for choosing to eat a certain way. Esp when that chosen path is a healthy one.
    even nutrient dense whole foods like colored veggies.
    I believe the whole "avoid white food" thing came about long before clean eating was anything. I remember in highschool girls telling me that potatoes are unhealthy and to avoid them. I don't eat white rice because it's bleached, stripped of it's nutrients and then the nutrients are added back in, has nothing to do with color. I'll eat a potato sometimes because they are from nature. Nothing wrong with them, except they are a starch and sometimes you need to cut back on how many starchy veggies you eat.

It was right here in this thread though...some clean eater actually demonizing veggies that have color like red bell peppers and such because of sugar. Demonizing food in general is ridiculous...but demonizing nutrient dense whole foods is like epic ridiculousness.

Also, if you understood IIFYM you would understand that you don't just eat all the potatoes...they wouldn't fit into your macros...so yes...you would have to cut back on starchy veggies to fit your macro requirements...but not because potatoes are the devil.

Yes, these are the so-called "clean" eaters that get "eaten up" by IIFYMers. Demonizing whole foods that are unprocessed, no "chemicals" added, etc. is called orthorexia.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The only "unclean" foods for me are fried foods and Oreo cookies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How are you able to include ice cream every day!!?? I definitely need that secret in my life! lol Is there something else that you have to completely cut out? Please let me know!

I maintain an reasonable calorie goal, meet my nutrition and macronutrient needs during the day, and then sometimes have ice cream at night with my leftover calories. other times it's bourbon. I know, how unclean of me. I actually do eat about 80% "clean" (dependent entirely on your personal definition of "clean") but the majority of people who follow IIFYM do as well.

^This. And why is ice cream so "unclean"? I mean really. Here's the list of ingredients from one of my favorites - Haagen-Dazs Cappucino Gelato -

skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, egg yolks, coffee, pectin. contains: milk and egg ingredients

Or Talenti Gelato Double Dark Chocolate

milk, sugar, chocolate, cream, eggs, dextrose, cocoa, vermouth, carob gum, soy lecithin, vanilla

Are all of those ingredients in their natural state?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How are you able to include ice cream every day!!?? I definitely need that secret in my life! lol Is there something else that you have to completely cut out? Please let me know!

I maintain an reasonable calorie goal, meet my nutrition and macronutrient needs during the day, and then sometimes have ice cream at night with my leftover calories. other times it's bourbon. I know, how unclean of me. I actually do eat about 80% "clean" (dependent entirely on your personal definition of "clean") but the majority of people who follow IIFYM do as well.

^This. And why is ice cream so "unclean"? I mean really. Here's the list of ingredients from one of my favorites - Haagen-Dazs Cappucino Gelato -

skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, egg yolks, coffee, pectin. contains: milk and egg ingredients

milk, sugar, chocolate, cream, eggs, dextrose, cocoa, vermouth, carob gum, soy lecithin, vanilla

Cooking eggs takes them from their natural state so those aren't clean...which means OMG, RUNNNNN!!!! Right?

Edited to correct typo
  • bcattoes
    Options

Cooking eggs takes them from their natural state so those aren't clean...which means OMG, RUNNNNN!!!! Right?

Edited to correct typo

No, but you already knew that. Cooking is not an igredient.

If that were true (cooking = not clean) how would running help? Exercise off the bad stuff?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Edited to correct typo

If that were true (cooking = not clean) how would running help? Exercise off the bad stuff?

Huh? What are you even talking about now?

tumblr_mp8pvfF6b41s3usq8o1_250.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I want to start eating clean but I have no idea what that entails.

Why would you want to do something when you don't even know what that something is?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Edited to correct typo

You said cooked eggs weren't clean, which means run. I can't figure out how running fits in.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Im sure this has been stated somewhere in the thread but the term "Clean Eating" has different meanings for different people. IMO it is eating to your specific goal and to consume as much unprocessed foods as you can. Eating as much fresh foods IMO is clean eating.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You should check out this website... I subscribe to the magazine, but this site has thousands of recipes, articles and ideas on how to eat clean. I love their recipes and so do my kids and husband.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Edited to correct typo

You said cooked eggs weren't clean, which means run. I can't figure out how running fits in.

Oh wow. Just....wow..

56158-Doctor-Who-10-laughing-gif-d1CI.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    A potato is not bad for you, but enriched white rice is.

3 billion Asians just looked at their kids math scores vs western kids math scores, and facepalmed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Cooking is not an igredient.

It is, however, a chemical process.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oh how I just can't wait for the NEXT clean eating thread to pop up...

Eat what you like as long as it gets you closer to your goals...

"Eat less, stress less, move more, lift more and get a good nights sleep. For physical health, that's pretty much as good as it gets." –Brad Pilon, Eat Stop Eat"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Google: "5 ingredient rule"

Wash your veggies and fruits before eating - and tend to eat them raw.

Avoid sugars! Avoid "white" starches such as breads, rice, pastas and potatoes. Understand "glycemic index."

Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing! Not enough can be said about this. Mastication and salivary digestion are extremely important.

Eat when you are hungry. Don't eat just because it is time to eat, nor snack to prevent or soothe cravings. Snacking when you are not hungry will cause your insulin to spike. Along these same lines, tend to eat foods with a high glycemic index only after working out.

Get to know the "Michi's Ladder" which is easily found in a Google search. Stay on tiers 1 and 2 and occasionally 3. Avoid tiers 4 and 5 unless you do "cheat days." Remember, Tiers 1 and 2 are foods that make you healthier, Tier 3 is neutral, and Tiers 4 and 5 make you unhealthier.

How can you avoid sugars but also recommend fruits and veggies? Hello cognitive dissonance

In...

...for all sugar = bad, except fruit sugar = good.

(Later - request chemical composition of each.)
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    There are a million sets of rules for clean eating. It really depends on who you ask. I recommend doing one of two things, find a clean eating guru to follow, or make up your own arbitrary rules about what eating clean means to you. That seems to be what I've seen more often than not. Good luck finding something you like.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Clean eating = never go a2.....nm. This is not what I was expecting.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • christinemadden0223
    Options
    Good for you for trying to learn about something that interests you. Unfortunately many people hate the pure mention of the phrase clean eating, but it IS arbitrary and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Many people who eat their definition of clean, myself included, can't say they don't chow down on something on their "bad" list time and again. It's personal preference and what works for you. What most clean eaters can all agree on is more fruits and vegetables and less food from a bag or box with a lot of ingredients you can't pronounce. But that's completely up to you. What is most important is that you can live with the diet you choose and if it makes you feel good to eat apples and spinach and antibiotic free chicken all day, go for it and be proud! If you really like ice cream and you want to fit that in too, go for it! I personally can't eat certain foods without binging my brains out because I have weak self control so I try to stick to fruits and vegetables and treats that are yummy but don't make me want to eat 3000 calories worth.
    Best of luck to you!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

that's where my 20% dirty comes from