Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• christinemadden0223
    Options
    Clean eating = never go a2.....nm. This is not what I was expecting.

that's where my 20% dirty comes from

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Just wash all of your food before you eat it to ensure that it is clean
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

And you're about to get a crap ton *no pun intended* of FR lol
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Lol strong everything
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Are all of those ingredients in their natural state?

This is the one spot where I call silliness/shenanigans/whatever.

What, exactly, is the difference between cooking/eating ingredients separately, in their natural states, and letting them mix in your stomach - vs. whisking the ingredients together, cooking them together, and eating them together?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Just make a list of foods that you declare to be bad (you don't even need a reason why), and don't eat them.

Boom. You're eating clean.

That about sums the whole thing up :tongue:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! I hope you all are having a wonderful day.

Anyway, I want to start eating clean but I have no idea what that entails. So, for those of you who are eating clean, do you mind giving me some tips please?

Thanks!

This is what I eat:

Meats: chicken breast, 93% fat free turkey and beef.

Vegetables: all except for white, stachy ones. never canned ones, only fresh or frozen.

Fruits: all fresh fruit except for very high glycemic ones. i make an exception with bananas for post-workout with protein.

Nuts: all of 'em

Condiments and oils: olive, coconut, apple cider vinegar

Other: quinoa, brown basmati rice, vegetarian protein powder, legumes (garbanzo beans and black beans, brown lentils)

What I don't eat: dairy, gluten, corn, soy, chocolate, diet drinks, artificial sweeteners, sugar (maple syrup, white sugar, agave, brown sugar, etc.), no pre-packaged meals, no microwaveable meals.

I cook everything from scratch and when I can't (tomato sauce for example), I buy organic, minimally processed, sodium free food.

I love how my food tastes and makes me feel, and so does my family ( have teenagers).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I want to start eating clean but I have no idea what that entails.

..... Then why do you want to do it??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Theses are good:

Chicken Breast, Lean steak, pork, turkey
    Salmon, cod, haddock, tuna, trout, scallops, prawns

Lots of green vegetables (keep coloured veg and fruit to minimum; they have a high sugar content)

Sweet potato, wholemeal bread, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, mixed beans, quinoa

mustards, spices, chillis, herbs, olives

Olive oils, nut oils, fruit oil

These are Bad:
    No sugar, chocolate (dark is ok if a little), cream, No low fat/fat free/healthy/ products
    No ketchup, mayo, dressing or oil/sugar based sauces (packet sauces)
    No Ice Cream or full fat milk.

Easier said than done, takes alot of imagination, but thats a clean diet right there!

I agree. "No sugar" and "no chocolate" and "no ice cream" are very, very bad.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat clean wash everything you want to eat. That way, it'll be clean when it goes into your mouth.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    And wow. Why all the hostility?

I just wanted to gain a general idea of where to begin and see how you guys do it. There's really no need for smart *kitten* answers.

Because as soon as someone mentions clean eating the IIFYM crowd comes out in full force to defend their diet.. it's silly really. No one has to agree with your choices. Just do what is right for you, what helps you reach your goals, in a healthy way and ignore the haters. :~)

I think it's more because if you ask 10 people what it means to "eat clean," you are likely to get 10 different answers. If not more.
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Google: "5 ingredient rule"

Wash your veggies and fruits before eating - and tend to eat them raw.

Avoid sugars! Avoid "white" starches such as breads, rice, pastas and potatoes. Understand "glycemic index."

Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing! Not enough can be said about this. Mastication and salivary digestion are extremely important.

Eat when you are hungry. Don't eat just because it is time to eat, nor snack to prevent or soothe cravings. Snacking when you are not hungry will cause your insulin to spike. Along these same lines, tend to eat foods with a high glycemic index only after working out.

Get to know the "Michi's Ladder" which is easily found in a Google search. Stay on tiers 1 and 2 and occasionally 3. Avoid tiers 4 and 5 unless you do "cheat days." Remember, Tiers 1 and 2 are foods that make you healthier, Tier 3 is neutral, and Tiers 4 and 5 make you unhealthier.

How can you avoid sugars but also recommend fruits and veggies? Hello cognitive dissonance

In...

...for all sugar = bad, except fruit sugar = good.

(Later - request chemical composition of each.)

I set myself up for the two people that flamed my post. SORRY - I meant "processed sugars" and most simple carbohydrates. An opinion is just that. An opinion! I am entitled to mine, and so are those opposed.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    "clean eating" is a foul, naughty word, like motherf*cker or c*nt.

ETA: OP, eat what you like within your calorie goal, don't torture yourself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for processed sugar = bad, except fruit sugar = good.

FIFM.

So, how does "processed sugar" differ from "fruit sugar" to your body? I mean, at a molecular level, what are the substantial differences?

Your opinion on these questions is fine, but it would be awesome if you could provide some science with it.

Thanks in advance.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    NO Processed FOODS is the biggest one. Luncheon meats, hotdogs, bacon, ham, anything smoked, cured, fried dried, etc... Nothing made with a chemical--believe me--reading the labels can get pretty scary when you see what you are putting in your body.
    Nothing carbonated, organic is best but not really necessary. WHOLE FOODS---nothing that has been altered added to or redone in anyway. It was a struggle for me the first 2 weeks but I got the hang of it and going like a breeze. Just remember NEVER SAY THE WORD DIET--this is a lifestyle change. People fail at diets but they do NOT fail when they change their lives. Good luck
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    -if it has more than five ingredients, you should probably avoid it. also, if the ingredients are too long or hard for you to pronounce, get rid of that

-avoid processed foods

-just because something is "low-fat" does not mean it is healthy. it could have a high sugar content. just make sure you do the math when reading labels

-READ LABELS

-eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as you want!
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In...

FIFM.

So, how does "processed sugar" differ from "fruit sugar" to your body? I mean, at a molecular level, what are the substantial differences?

Your opinion on these questions is fine, but it would be awesome if you could provide some science with it.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, no problem. But if you disagree further, please provide "science" to back up your opinion as well.

REFINED (PROCESSED) SUGARS:
    The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

FRUIT:
    Fruit contains many benefits compared to refined sugar. Besides being rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, fruit is an excellent source of fiber. The presence of fiber in fruit determines what happens to fruit sugars in your body and how quickly they are broken down in your gastrointestinal tract. Unlike refined sugar, fiber in fruit expands in your gut, making you feel full. Fiber is the biggest secret as to why fruit sugars are not as dangerous as refined sugar, preventing the sugars from being rapidly broken down and stored.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

FIFM.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, no problem. But if you disagree further, please provide "science" to back up your opinion as well.

The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

FRUIT:
    Fruit contains many benefits compared to refined sugar. Besides being rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, fruit is an excellent source of fiber. The presence of fiber in fruit determines what happens to fruit sugars in your body and how quickly they are broken down in your gastrointestinal tract. Unlike refined sugar, fiber in fruit expands in your gut, making you feel full. Fiber is the biggest secret as to why fruit sugars are not as dangerous as refined sugar, preventing the sugars from being rapidly broken down and stored.

I see your sfgate.com article (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/body-process-fruit-sugars-same-way-refined-sugar-8174.html) and raise you an MFP thread that addressed this very article: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572481-natural-sugar-vs-refined-sugar

To quote MFP user yarwell (because I like to give proper attribution in my quotes):
    the link makes assertions without backing them up, the glucose and fructose from a sucrose molecule grown in sugar cane or sugar beet is the same as that from the sucrose in an orange or other fruit, or the glucose and fructose in fruits.

So if you have an issue with say fructose and its mechanics in the body, then that applies to fructose whatever the vehicle, to quote Lustig. We seldom encounter fructose on its own, or indeed sugar, so one should look at meals rather than molecules.

Fruit comes with some fibre and a few vitamins but broccoli etc have a lot more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

That second thread is full of all kinds of sciency stuff too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In...

FIFM.

Thanks in advance.

FRUIT:

Asks for science if you disagree then proceeds to babble unscientific nonsense. Classic

DNL in humans, common?

And by your excellent logic that fiber in fruit makes the sugars less dangerous, we can then extrapolate that frosted mini wheats are less dangerous than fruit, due to more fiber, right?
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I modified a diet based of the Eat to Live book and bought the cookbook. I'm not much of a cook, so it has been a bumpy transition. I try to buy certified organic and I've also been making a point to eat more fruits and vegetables and cook using fresh instead of bagged or frozen. I'm currently on a vegetarian diet, but when I eat meat, I buy either local meats or certified organic and free range as well. I'm on a budget since I'm still in college, but I still but frozen and boxed stuff, I just check the labels and see what is in it.