Gym Snobbery - are you unashamedly guilty

Options
Madame_Goldbricker
Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
Someone on my FL just posted that they have signed up for a well known gym franchise. Now personally I think its excellent. Kudos to them for getting out there. However, it rolls back round to the age old debate. "Is my gym better than yours?" In all seriousness I don't care where, how, or what someone is doing to workout. Surely the point is getting off our *kitten* and doing something? Or is there something more to this. Do we need bells, whistles, & the price of a small second hand car gym membership to feel we're doing the best we can?

All that said I can see why some folks want to workout in certain places due to machines, free weights, classes. Just wanted to throw it out there and see what you all think?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym snob.

No Power cage no squat rack- no visit.

I can't be bothered.

No dead lifting? GTFO.

The more "meat head" of a gym it is- the happier I'll be.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm a gym snob, but I know what I like and if a gym doesn't have those features I most likely won't be going there.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    If it is planet fitness I can't help but think you aren't serious about working out.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    There's two gyms in my town and I picked the one I did because of the power racks they've got. When I went and checked out the other gym I asked what they had to do squats on and they pointed to the Smith machine. I guess you could call that being a snob but my back sure is thanking me for my choice.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If it is planet fitness I can't help but think you aren't serious about working out.

I have that same gut reaction.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I love my gym for the fact it's close and convenient, almost never have to wait for the squat rack, or anything else. The fact they recently cleared some room to make even more room for people to deadlift and do oly lifts is awesome.

Would I go to a gym that had no squat rack or power rack? No

Would I go to a gym where I'd be in trouble for dropping a weight? No
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Meh. I just care about location. My gym is practically in my backyard, otherwise I'd prefer the rec center because it has a pool.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA.

of course its the only gym within 30 miles of my place
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym snob, but i want a good range of classes with lots of different time options, good cardo machines, good freeweight area, kettlebells medicane balls etc, pool jacuzzi sauna and steam room, big chains generally have it all there!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ive jused a community gym, and a big franchise. Just depends on where Im living etc. But it all depends what equipment they've got. If the weight section is tiny, but got 100 treadmills, then I ain't going!!! lol
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of gyms in Lincoln and I shopped around a lot before deciding where to join. They all had something great to offer, but in the end the Y offered more for my kids and myself. I'm like you, I don't care where people go to work out as long as they get it done. I've had people from Aspen tell me that the Y crowd is too old for them. I have also heard people from the Y say that Prarie Life doesn't take it seriously enough. I had no idea how snobby people could be about their gym until I joined one. I guess it's a good thing there are so many choices!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to a gym if it was lacking certain things, but I have never thought about, or cared where anyone else goes, or even paid attention for that matter.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've been to a plethora of gyms...and the latest one is by far my favorite. It's cheap, tons of cardio equipment that I don't have to sign up for, nobody is allowed to solicit themselves as personal trainers, there's 4 different free weight areas, a pool, hot tub, sauna, food court and it's open late. I can't complain about the people that go there, it isn't a competition, and there's always someone willing to spot you. I have no complaints about my gym. If someone said they were going to the gym I went to previously, I'd probably sneer and tell them not to waste their money on that dump, but to each their own. I also dislike the franchise gyms here that cost way to much and don't have nearly as much to offer as the city owned gyms.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I would like to know where all of these gyms are where the guys try to pick up women. I'm missing out on all of that.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If they have what I want (And I'm mainly a treadmill person so that's all gyms) i'm fine. But I'd rather go to a smaller/quieter gym where I don't have to wait for a machine.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    If the gym does not have a power / squat rack then I am not interested. Must also have an abundance of free weight equipment. Machines are meh, but the free weights better be there.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My idea of a good gym is one that has power racks. Of course, there're tons of people whose idea of a nice gym is one with towel service and a fancy juice bar. I think there are different brands of snobbery.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    as long as its not planet fitness i'm good, I go to the Y they have everything I want/need
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Feeling like you're better than everyone else helps you burn more calories. MFP fact!
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I have that same gut reaction.

I go to Planet Fitness. I'm a gym newbie. Why would you think someone isnt serious about working out just cos they go there? Not offended just curious.