Gym Snobbery - are you unashamedly guilty

Options

Replies

• MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    I watched a lecture on this today.
    We are a minority, in the fact that we do get up and exercise. Look around us, its obvious some are in dear need of exercise. Those who don't do anything don't argue, while we in the fitness community do.
    We should be happy that we are part of a minority who are taking action, be it at home or in a flash gym.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you don't forge your own weights and run with sandbags, I can't help but feel you're not serious about working out.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Close to home & a good atmosphere. My husband & I joke that the gym we go to is like a family....well maybe a cult LOL!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I do think there are people there, not all of them, who look down on the overweight people because they don't have good bodies like them, when actually, they should think 'Well done to them for actually coming here and doing something to change their body'.

Ummm...we do think "well done". Perhaps a little less projection is in order.
  • ilikebooksnotrunning
    Options
    Unfortunately with my staggering student loan debt, I can't afford to be a gym snob, though I really really wish I could be.
  • _taylorlydia
    Options
    If it is planet fitness I can't help but think you aren't serious about working out.

I have that same gut reaction.

I go to Planet Fitness. I'm a gym newbie. Why would you think someone isnt serious about working out just cos they go there? Not offended just curious.
    Me too. I don't need all the heavy lifting, and frankly it's the only one I can afford in my location. Doesn't make me any less serious about working out.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I go to my local rec center. It's pretty up to date I believe and it seems no one really looks down on anyone else that much. We have a good variety of people working out there. The rec center always buys new machines when they need to. I don't use the free weights much but it seems like they have a pretty good amount of racks etc for what ever you need to do and they have trainers if you need them and want to pay a little bit of money.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like my gym :bigsmile:

c746324b-0a6f-4b2a-9ff1-978f06186b19_zps29b304d9.jpg?t=1386268108

And if I want to curl in the squat rack I can :tongue:
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I do think there are people there, not all of them, who look down on the overweight people because they don't have good bodies like them, when actually, they should think 'Well done to them for actually coming here and doing something to change their body'.

Ummm...we do think "well done". Perhaps a little less projection is in order.

I was thinking the same thing. I think that may be insecurity that you THINK people are looking down at you. Heck, I'm not exactly small but everybody encourages the hell outta me for trying at my gym.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I got gym-snobbed by a family member because I go to a gym that apparently discriminates towards men because they have a separate women's area. Which is one of the main reasons that I go there. Granted, I'm about to outgrow the weights in that area and use the big boy side of the gym more now, but I've had that time to get there mentally. :D

My gym is my second home these days, and I love it. It's huge, it's grimy, it's leaky, it's cold in the winter and warm in the summer, and often runs out of paper products, but it's got everything I need and I couldn't find better people to share it with.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I'm not a gym snob.

If it has the equipment I need and I can get my 90 minute workout in then I'm fine with that. That's all I really need.

I would love to have a home gym though. Then there's no excuse for not going.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Not really a gym snob but I do prefer some gyms over others.

Personally the one I go to now ranks far above any other gym I've been to:
    - Metal plates (I love the clanking sound for some reason)
    - $12/month monthly, no sign up fee
    - Power Rack, Squat Rack, Oly Platform (including bumper plates)
    - Dumbbells up to 150lb
    - All the regular nautilus/hammer strength/cable machines for those who like them

/flex
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Go where you, as an individual, wanna go. No point in snobbery.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I got gym-snobbed by a family member because I go to a gym that apparently discriminates towards men because they have a separate women's area. Which is one of the main reasons that I go there. Granted, I'm about to outgrow the weights in that area and use the big boy side of the gym more now, but I've had that time to get there mentally. :D

My gym is my second home these days, and I love it. It's huge, it's grimy, it's leaky, it's cold in the winter and warm in the summer, and often runs out of paper products, but it's got everything I need and I couldn't find better people to share it with.

A separate women's area! Jealous!

(And honestly, I think your gym sounds great. Men at the gym can actually be very intimidating. I've had girls and women tell me this. So yeah, that's great.)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym snob. The proof is that I belong to Planet Fitness and I love that gym! I've belonged there for over 5 years and haven't yet been tempted by pizza night. It's super clean and I love the free weights section, plus they have more than plenty of cardio equipment.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

We have regular meetings at my gym to decide who gets to harass the next fatty that joins.
    I'm so pissed that I haven't been chosen yet! It's way past being my turn.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I like my gym :bigsmile:

c746324b-0a6f-4b2a-9ff1-978f06186b19_zps29b304d9.jpg?t=1386268108

And if I want to curl in the squat rack I can :tongue:

Im jealous. That is awesome.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The only "gym" people have strong opinions about is Planet Fitness and that is a result of their marketing and refusal to allow people to perform barbell compounds.

Other than that, I've never really seen anyone bad mouth other legitimate gyms.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    This thread is showing me ads for Equinox, which is a decidedly snobby gym!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i am a personal trainer at my gym. my gym has it all. track ... pool... weights... womens weight room.. all the cardio machines known to man... weight cages.... its all good.