Gym Snobbery - are you unashamedly guilty

Options

Replies

• kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i love my gym because it's got a pool to swim laps in, and treadmills, and other stuff.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If it is planet fitness I can't help but think you aren't serious about working out.

I have that same gut reaction.

I go to Planet Fitness. I'm a gym newbie. Why would you think someone isnt serious about working out just cos they go there? Not offended just curious.

Planet Fitness is cheap, which makes it an easy and sometimes only choice for people. However, the issue with Planet Fitness is that little of their campaign and goals actually have much to do with fitness. I went to one briefly- they are one of those "no lunking, no grunting, no effort" places. I got yelled at for doing clean & jerks and snatches in the limited "free weight" area with the only "barbell" they had. It's a place to start, and if it's all you have, it'd be wise to get maximum benefit from it, but I feel it's limited. They also have bagel days and pizza days and feel more like a hangout than a fitness center.

Most people who get serious about fitness (you'll understand as you get further into your journey) know that max results come from max effort, and often, that involves pushing your boundries. This involves lifting weights that may be heavier than you can lift comfortably, or it may involve grunting, or even having to bail out if you go too heavy... I want to be at a place where I can get ugly, sweaty, loud and drop a load if I need to- because my body craves the next level and PF just isnt the place to get to that next level.

Can't wait to get to that point! I'm just trying not to hurt myself. Trying to perfect my technique and form. A lot of the stuff y'all are saying I haven't seen. So I guess I don't have a negative opinion about it when it comes to me as an individual. The whole Judgement Free Zone and then saying oh you "Lunker" can't come seems contradictory, but as long as its working for me I'm good with it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I pay next to nothing for my company gym.

I really don't give a rats rear end WHAT anyone thinks of that.

:D
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I guess Planet Fitness would be perfect for me since I'm just an average Joe. Sounds like I would be more comfortable because of my short-comings.
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    All gyms have their pro's and con's for sure. When it comes right down to it, use whatever one you want. If you can't get a good workout in a any gym you walk into it's not that the gym sucks, your workout does.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I didn't know being a gym snob was a thing. There are really only 2 gyms in our town; one has 3 locations though. I picked the one with 3 locations, b/c it seemed more convenient...and is the closest to the house...and I already knew someone who went to this gym.

I've heard that the other gym doesn't have the "heavy lifting" stuff. That doesn't matter to me, BUT my husband would prefer to stay at ours. He was also using the Drill Hall on Base, which was free; BUT since switching to my gym, he complains about the Drill Hall being too busy, too small...
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    All gyms have their pro's and con's for sure. When it comes right down to it, use whatever one you want. If you can't get a good workout in a any gym you walk into it's not that the gym sucks, your workout does.

Depends on the goal of your workout. The PF near me doesn't even have a weight bench.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Makes sense like I said I was just curious. I haven't had a problem there and definitely feel the pain of the workouts I do there. So I guess I'm one of the exceptions :-) Thanks for biting my head off for asking.

no one is biting your head off (not sure if typo or serious)... it's mostly the gym that's the issue. it's the IDEA behind it- that it seems to cator to average- and to me people have so much fricking potential and to literally market your entire gym to being average and meh- without pushing yourself (try to push yourself without grunting- go head) is just frustrating.

It is a useful tool and if you are new- use it- it works- it's got great hours- and it's a cheap investment (again GREAT marketing) but as your tastes (or if I should say) grow and change- you're extremely limited. The training there is atrocious- they have ONE bar bell. 3/4 of my base workouts are BB workouts. Can I do other workouts? Sure. I absolutely can. I can kick my own *kitten* in 15 minutes with just my own body in 10 feet of space.

I dont' NEED equipment to work out.

But I NEED equipment to TRAIN.
    Can't wait to get to that point! I'm just trying not to hurt myself. Trying to perfect my technique and form. A lot of the stuff y'all are saying I haven't seen. So I guess I don't have a negative opinion about it when it comes to me as an individual. The whole Judgement Free Zone and then saying oh you "Lunker" can't come seems contradictory, but as long as its working for me I'm good with it.
    you're fine where you are right now- keep educating yourself. But at some point you will outgrow your gym if you are truly interesting in developing your body.

:) Like I said- I would be a member there if I needed to- 24 hrs a day for 10 bucks- it's cheaper than paying for a one time use fee- Ihave no qualms about being a multi gym member... but my BASE gym is going to be one that meets my needs.

HEH_ funny story.

I'm moving- and I go to LA Fit. There is one near me- and one 40 miles north of me- I'm moving 20 miles north. Unfortunately the one North of me- is on one of the single most congested- over taxed aterials in this state- driving 15-20 miles near those roads at any time of day can be a 40-60 minute process. LA Fit is OUT as a gym.

So I'm telling BF dearest I need a new gym- he was like "there are gyms everwhere- don't you think you should find a new home first before you worry about the gym?"

NO!!!!I have three needs- so not many
    1.) multiple squat racks/power cages,
    2.) aerobics room- (I'm a dancer- need space to train)
    3.) allows oly/power lifting.

I don't care about ANYTHING else- but those three things are essential- towels showers whatever don't care. But I will not bend on those three things

I finally singled 2 gyms down in driving range... but it was so funny "don't you think you should find a place to live first??"

Nope- I can just sleep at the damn gym!!! Silly boyfriend- doesn't understand!
  • ohyaynj
    Options
    I haven't come across gym snobbery before, hehe.

I chose mine because it's in the next building from my flat, thus basically free. It's not the nicest place, and doesn't have the most equipment, but it does the job. There are classes, and all the equipment I want to use.

If I was really in the market to be choosy, it would be somewhere with a big pool, classes, long hours and a free car park!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Clean, floor length mirrors, that allow you to see the whole gym without looking around and good lighting. :glasses:
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yes,

I'm not going to pay for a place that does not have the equipment I'm looking for.

I'd rather use the outside n garage set
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I go to the local Y. I picked it because it is 1 mile from home, a really great community organization that supports other great community organizations, has resources for families to mom's and dads can work out.

But....it also has:

Power Rack
    Incline bench
    2x bench presses
    4x adjustable benches
    DB's that go up to 100lbs
    Machines ( don't use)
    Cables (sometimes)
    Oodles of cardio machines that I don't use...
    Classes--I do the HIIT and yes, sometimes I will zumba ( don't go hatn')
    Pool....but no hot tub--the one thing I wish it had!

The work out area isn't huge, but there aren't a lot of people lifting either. I rarely have to wait for a bench and don't ever have to wiat for the power rack. Usually someone is waiting for me! lol. So not a snob....but I lucked out!!!

I am at the point in my lifting that if I didn't have the above, I would probably move on to another gym
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Not a snob, I don't think, but I do have my comfort zone.

I don't care for the national chains like LA Fitness. High pressure sales and a corporate attitude. No like.
    I've always looked for family owned places, or small gyms with just a few locations.

Best gym I ever belonged to was run by the sons of the guy who opened the place.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Makes sense like I said I was just curious. I haven't had a problem there and definitely feel the pain of the workouts I do there. So I guess I'm one of the exceptions :-) Thanks for biting my head off for asking.

no one is biting your head off (not sure if typo or serious)... it's mostly the gym that's the issue. it's the IDEA behind it- that it seems to cator to average- and to me people have so much fricking potential and to literally market your entire gym to being average and meh- without pushing yourself (try to push yourself without grunting- go head) is just frustrating.

It is a useful tool and if you are new- use it- it works- it's got great hours- and it's a cheap investment (again GREAT marketing) but as your tastes (or if I should say) grow and change- you're extremely limited. The training there is atrocious- they have ONE bar bell. 3/4 of my base workouts are BB workouts. Can I do other workouts? Sure. I absolutely can. I can kick my own *kitten* in 15 minutes with just my own body in 10 feet of space.

I dont' NEED equipment to work out.

But I NEED equipment to TRAIN.
    you're fine where you are right now- keep educating yourself. But at some point you will outgrow your gym if you are truly interesting in developing your body.

:) Like I said- I would be a member there if I needed to- 24 hrs a day for 10 bucks- it's cheaper than paying for a one time use fee- Ihave no qualms about being a multi gym member... but my BASE gym is going to be one that meets my needs.

HEH_ funny story.

I'm moving- and I go to LA Fit. There is one near me- and one 40 miles north of me- I'm moving 20 miles north. Unfortunately the one North of me- is on one of the single most congested- over taxed aterials in this state- driving 15-20 miles near those roads at any time of day can be a 40-60 minute process. LA Fit is OUT as a gym.

So I'm telling BF dearest I need a new gym- he was like "there are gyms everwhere- don't you think you should find a new home first before you worry about the gym?"

NO!!!!I have three needs- so not many
    1.) multiple squat racks/power cages,
    2.) aerobics room- (I'm a dancer- need space to train)
    3.) allows oly/power lifting.

I don't care about ANYTHING else- but those three things are essential- towels showers whatever don't care. But I will not bend on those three things

I finally singled 2 gyms down in driving range... but it was so funny "don't you think you should find a place to live first??"

Nope- I can just sleep at the damn gym!!! Silly boyfriend- doesn't understand!

Guys just dont get it sometimes :-)

The one I go to has 10 barbells 10-50lbs
    2 Smith Machines
    Dumbbells from 5lbs - 80lbs
    Lots of cardio machines, weight machines and cable machines. It will definitely do me for now. I would definitely like to have a free standing barbell that I could add plates too, but it's really not too shabby. I was slightly joking about the biting my head off. Some people get offended when you question their opinion or ask them to explain. I'm gonna send you a FR maybe help me out with some exercises if you're up for it. I've been in the gym before, but I'm serious about it now and I only know a couple exercises so I'm up for any advice I can get. I wanna get the most out of my time there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Guys just dont get it sometimes :-)

The one I go to has 10 barbells 10-50lbs
    2 Smith Machines
    Dumbbells from 5lbs - 80lbs
    Lots of cardio machines, weight machines and cable machines. It will definitely do me for now. I would definitely like to have a free standing barbell that I could add plates too, but it's really not too shabby. I was slightly joking about the biting my head off. Some people get offended when you question their opinion or ask them to explain. I'm gonna send you a FR maybe help me out with some exercises if you're up for it. I've been in the gym before, but I'm serious about it now and I only know a couple exercises so I'm up for any advice I can get. I wanna get the most out of my time there

sure thing. :)

oh- those aren't BB's if they are pre-loaded. Those are typically curl bars. A barbell is just a straight bar with no weight- you add the plates to it to make it adjustable- they come in short sizes of 25 lbs- or a smaller 35 lb bar (for oly lifting I believe they actually do deliniate between women's and men's by the 35-45 but I"m not 100% certain- I just am reaching back into my fuzzy brain on that one) and then standard Olympic bar is 45 lbs.

sure thing- I'm around and clearly have no life b/c I troll MFP all the time :D I'm a forum junkie!
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm a shoe snob. I will shun your ugly shoes.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

come at me ho
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    If you can't get a good workout in a any gym you walk into it's not that the gym sucks, your workout does.

I actually beg to differ sir. It comes down to goals. For someone who is into strength comps they will need a power rack, barbell and plates, which not all gyms do. For those doing SL, or SS not all gyms will be conducive of this. Anyone can get in a "workout" without even stepping foot into a gym... but that also does not mean that the workout will be working towards their goals.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a Planet Fitness even if I would never go there.

There are ton of people that are intimidated by the gym. This company has just marketed towards those people that probably would not have joined a gym otherwise. Maybe they will be happy there or use it as a stepping stone to become comfortable in a traditional gym.

If they dont like hearing people grunt or the occasional dropped weight then its probably better they dont share the same gym with people that train that way.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

come at me ho

It makes sense that you would wear crocs.