Replies

• den1eser
    den1eser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry-new to posting. Comment deleted:
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    just proving that not all fast wood workers are striking, look at the photo, fast food places are not stuff down, not everyone is striking. There fore, not everyone would be fired if the people who skipped work to strike are fired. Just to prove the point that not everyone would be fired and they would not have to start over.

http://news.msn.com/us/fast-food-strikes-return-amid-push-for-wage-hikes?ocid=ansnews11&stay=1
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    hamburglar-steals-mcdonalds-drive-through.gif

I died!!

I want to be the Hamburglar! ...
  • den1eser
    den1eser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's so much anger in this thread. I think we all collectively need to take a deep breath, go get a Big Mac, drink a few beers, and relax :drinker: :drinker:

Or, alternatively, eat a snickers. You become an angry capitalist when you're hungry.
    Hilarious :happy:
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options
    I thought they were striking to have the minimum wage law changed to $15/hr? If not, then your'e correct, they have the ability to strike, and McDonald's should fire them all; I doubt it would be AS extremely unwise of a business decision as doubling the pay of your least skilled workers

Let's examine this theory, since a number of people are saying how easily McDonalds could replace it's front line workforce.

Today McDonalds fires all store employees.

Well first they'd have to close every store. And they'd need to hire people to just to do that. Can't have food sitting around in empty buildings indefinitely. So as of this moment they are generating $0 in revenue and spending money on top of that.

All the supplies they have planned for future sales are wasted. All the questionable beef, all the dehydrated onion bits, all of it is a loss for the company.

As far as public relations goes their image, that they spend millions to maintain, has taken a giant hit. You can't put into numbers what something like this would do to the company.

McDonald's will remain shut down for weeks or longer, as they attempt to find, hire, and train millions of new employees. All without any former employees there to guide them. In many ways they'd be starting from scratch as a company. No revenue is being generated and massive expenses are being racked up.

The losses would reach into the billions, they honestly might never recover.

All because some of you find these front line employees to be useless jackholes who can be replaced in a day. You sure about that?

Well first of all McDonalds would give the an ultimatium of go back to work or you are replace.

I bet over half the works are BSing this strike and just piggy backing it for more money and would go back to work or else be out of work.

They they hire more while working on reduced staffs at minimum wage. It is not all the complicated. People will crumble over the pressure of losing their job if they truly need it.

Except they can't can they, because if they did and the workers stayed out they would be screwed. hence the barganing position of the workforce, hence why striking is an effective barganing tool. If they could be replaced, they would, McDonalds are not holding onto them out of some sense of civic duty. Why must this point be repeated over and over and yet still people dont get it.

Because they aren't very bright, plain and simple.

They are the ones saying, "You could replace all of them tomorrow with no problem!" When it's shown to them that in reality that's not the case they switch to, "Well..you know..keep some of them...most of them really..then just get some high school kids."

As stated earlier (by someone else who did a great job of tricking me with sarcasm) how are these high school employees supposed to serve lunch and breakfast? Typically the most profitable times for fast food. Ohhh I thought that's what these jobs were designed for?! High school kids, right?

Logic escapes some people. They're too busy patting themselves on the back for being smarter than fast food employees.

you do realize that 18 and 19 year olds are by and large out of high school correct??

So your bright idea is to staff McDonalds with nothing but 18-19 year olds? You realize that it's a giant organization with tons of franchises? That's a real narrow window of employees they'd be seeking out. And apparently none of them could be there for longer than a year.

So who has the next bad idea that would allow this giant company to pay people next to nothing? Because it's clearly very important to some of you that these people not earn a decent wage.

If making minimum wage was so bad, why not push to fix minimum wage? its not the companie's fault they required labor rates.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Just to show how ignorant most of the people in this thread are of the very basics of labor actions such as strikes, McDonald's can't simply fire all these people. It would literally be illegal.

Now, by all means, continue this incredibly stupid "debate" full of BS and people who don't know a damn thing about economics, labor action, social stratification, etc.
    you angry?

I am a little bit, yeah. I posted on my wall a little while ago that privilegd white folk who think they attained their position in society through nothing but their own darned hard work have joined people who don't vaccinate their kids on my list of people who make me unreasonably angry.

If their employment is "at will" that means that McDonalds can fire their employees for any reason and they can quit for any reason. Hence the "at will". It's not illegal. As far as I know there is no contractual agreement between McDonalds and their employees. THAT would make it illegal for McD's to decide to fire someone as it would be a breach of contract.

Says the girl who worked in Insurance for 13 years and provided Employment Practice Insurance to some of the largest companies in the US and has had to read handbooks and pretty much know the ins and outs of what is legal and what isn't.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    I completely agree
    Hilarious :laugh:

den1eser, you have hands down made my favorite posts in this thread.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just to show how ignorant most of the people in this thread are of the very basics of labor actions such as strikes, McDonald's can't simply fire all these people. It would literally be illegal.

Now, by all means, continue this incredibly stupid "debate" full of BS and people who don't know a damn thing about economics, labor action, social stratification, etc.
    you angry?

I am a little bit, yeah. I posted on my wall a little while ago that privilegd white folk who think they attained their position in society through nothing but their own darned hard work have joined people who don't vaccinate their kids on my list of people who make me unreasonably angry.

You know what makes me angry? People who would rather live in a stereotype than bust through it.

You are correct, McDonald's can't "just" fire these people, but if people don't show up for a job, I'm sure those who stuck around will gladly take the OT hours handed to them.

Circling back to the point of this thread, if they are unhappy with their wages they can look for another job.
    This is what choice is about^^^
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options

you angry?

If their employment is "at will" that means that McDonalds can fire their employees for any reason and they can quit for any reason. Hence the "at will". It's not illegal. As far as I know there is no contractual agreement between McDonalds and their employees. THAT would make it illegal for McD's to decide to fire someone as it would be a breach of contract.

Says the girl who worked in Insurance for 13 years and provided Employment Practice Insurance to some of the largest companies in the US and has had to read handbooks and pretty much know the ins and outs of what is legal and what isn't.

So if an employee(s) intentionally skips their work shift could they be fired?
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    just proving that not all fast wood workers are striking, look at the photo, fast food places are not stuff down, not everyone is striking. There fore, not everyone would be fired if the people who skipped work to strike are fired. Just to prove the point that not everyone would be fired and they would not have to start over.

http://news.msn.com/us/fast-food-strikes-return-amid-push-for-wage-hikes?ocid=ansnews11&stay=1

No one ever said they all were striking. It was said multiple times that they could all be fired and replaced tomorrow.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this is over complicated.
    Working in the fast food industry sucks. I think we can all agree to that.
    I did it myself when I was in high school and it sucked.
    So, instead of complaining about it, I bettered myself.
    I couldn't afford college and my parents were not going to pay for it.
    What is a boy to do?
    I joined the Army.
    The pay STILL sucked but, at least I got an education.
    And, more importantly, I got the G.I. Bill.
    I went to college while in the Army and, once I got out, I finished college.
    Now, I make quite a bit more then I did flipping burgers but, if for some reason I feel I deserve more, I have two choices:
    1: Ask for a raise
    2: find another job.

Look, making minimum wage is impossible to live on alone. That is why there are roommates out there.
    That is why some people work two jobs (I have done that too).
    I don't feel sorry for minimum wage workers because they are working in a start up job.
    Seriously, if they are unhappy with the pay, climb, scratch, fight, or run to get out of the job and into a better one.
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options

No one ever said they all were striking. It was said multiple times that they could all be fired and replaced tomorrow.

if you are referring to what I said. I stated to strikers could be replaced and that the entire work force was not striking.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Every job worked at full time hours should pay a living wage.

THIS!!!!

Yeah, who cares that a trained monkey can do the job and you have NO marketable skills whatsoever. You should make more money because you breath, damnit! [/sarcasm]

God, the entitlement some people feel is sickening. If you want to make more money, make yourself more valuable. If you are stuck earning minimum wage, news flash: YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING NOTHING WORTH MORE THAN THAT!
    So if everyone finds a better job that's not fast food, who's going to supply me with McChickens?

Not everyone has the money, skills, and/or smarts to go to college or learn a trade (Yeah, you have to have a decent amount of brain power to fix cars or build a house, w/o it falling apart ...) ... Society needs ALL kinds of people, to do ALL kinds of jobs ...

ETA: Not to be mean, but menial jobs are all some people are capable of doing ...
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and at a full 40 hours a week at $7.50/hour if you're a single person and need a 1 bedroom apartment, you can live off that no problem.

I would really like to see the math you did... Rent must be REALLY cheap where you live. Here's how I managed at 32 hours on $8 an hour. That is approximately $1,110 per month before taxes.

My net pay ended up being about $950 per month.
    My rent was 550 per month for a small, very old studio apartment-it was the cheapest place I could find.

That leaves me with $400 a month for everything else.

I spent about $125 on food.

That leaves me with $275.

My auto insurance was about $30 per month.

$245.

A monthly bus pass cost me $90 a month.

$155.

I had a $10 per month phone plan. This was a necessity in case work could offer me more hours.

$145.

Electric cost me around $50. It was around $35 in spring through fall and around $70-$80 in winter.

That brings the rest of my money down to $95.

My monthly insurance premium was $46. I have a couple of medical conditions where I NEED to see a doctor.

This leaves me with $49 at the end of each month.

A copay for a prescription that I NEED for asthma is $30 per month.

This left me with $19 a month.

I still have a $345 payment for student loans. I couldn't get myself even a very old car +auto insurance to give me reliable transportation to work. Explain to me how that $19 will cover whatever copays I have for my doctors visits? How will that allow me to get a new pair of pants for work because the cheap pair I got from good will for $3 has a hole now... which is against company dress code? How does that let me save up for an emergency? If I got hurt at work and had to miss a month for recovery... how would that allow me to keep my crappy apartment and pay my electric bill?

I would VERY much like to see the math you did where you discovered a single person can live off of $7.50 an hour.

That's about what I figured...do you remember how much of your tax return if any you got back?

If I recall, it was about $700. I didn't get all of it back and what I did get back went right to my student loans that I couldn't afford during the year. It never even made it to my bank account since the loans were in default. And I was CONSTANTLY looking for a second job... but nobody was hiring. I had to make sure it was at a time when the buses were running... since I had no car.

EDIT:: Didn't mean to put the auto insurance in there... I didn't have it yet. That's a current bill. But still, $49 a month leftover for random necessities is not enough.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    What is a boy to do?
    I joined the Army.
    Now, I make quite a bit more then I did flipping burgers but, if for some reason I feel I deserve more, I have two choices:

Look, making minimum wage is impossible to live on alone. That is why there are roommates out there.
    I don't feel sorry for minimum wage workers because they are working in a start up job.
    Seriously, if they are unhappy with the pay, climb, scratch, fight, or run to get out of the job and into a better one.

And that's what they're doing.

Why do you feel that you're entitled to rights that they aren't?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    What is a boy to do?
    I joined the Army.

I described a similar situation, but we're not welcome here, apparently.
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options
    What is a boy to do?
    I joined the Army.

They are not asking, they are demanding. that is the difference. He worked his *kitten* to improve, what are they people doing? They are saying pay me or else.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Asking for a raise while refusing to work seems like the world's stupidest way to ask for a raise. Maybe crapping on their desk and defiling their household pets would make it worse...
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options
    What is a boy to do?
    I joined the Army.

I described a similar situation, but we're not welcome here, apparently.

anyone with the opinion that you need to work to better yourselves apparently.
  • Eladner
    Options
    A business can't pay a worker more money than they can produce. You can't arbitrarily pay somebody 15 dollars an hour when their job only produces 6 dollars an hour of value. If you do that for any extended period of time, the business will go out of business, then nobody makes any money at all (business, employees, suppliers, etc).

If you want a better job that pays better than "living wages" - get yourself some skills that are worth something to society. Flipping burgers is not a skill - sorry.