How come models never lift heavy ?

Options
Hello, everyone. I have a dilemma: apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal, never ever touch any weights. Their workouts seem to consist of cardio, stretches, pilates and endless leg raises, lunges, and what have you, all performed at most with very light ankle weights. Meanwhile, the internet claims that weightlifting and squatting heavy are THE way for women to achieve that beautiful toned look. I'm on the lifting heavy side, but so far, while my strength is increasing, I still have saddlebags and my legs are chunkier than ever. I want to have thin legs; which kind of exercises should I do ? And how come those women look so perfect despite never lifting heavy (which supposedly is the one and only way to get lean according to all the fitness enthusiasts on the internet) ?

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that celebrities probably don't reveal all of their secrets on how they remain so beautiful. Also keep in mind that genetics play a part in this.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Models are of a certain body type. They eat and train to maintain a certain look. Most can only do it for a few years, then they "retire."

If you're not that body type, nothing you do will make you look like that. So, the best alternatve for the rest of us is to build lean muscle mass that gives us functional strength so we can live healthy lives.

You're also touching on another point: Perfect vs Progress. Are you going to quit because you can't obtain perfection? Or are you going to strive for progress and see that as your definition of success?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that genetics play a part in this.
    THIS!! Let's face it, not a lot of women are going to look like a VS model even if they spent all day, every day in the gym... These are not the women you should really be comparing youself to.:noway:

By the way...you look GREAT as you are right now!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Who ever said that 5'9", 103 pounds and size 00 is perfect? I beg to differ. It's a standard that most mortals will never achieve, nor should they. These models and there "perfect" bodies and the companies that promote them, have done a great disservice to little girls and young women.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    VS models generally are very very slim... that is not the same as having low bodyfat (or being toned as you put it).
  • douceurdevivre
    Options
    They're not of a different body type than the rest of the world. Some are pear shaped, like me, some have other shapes, and so on. But all of them are very lean (and many have been so for decades, not just for a few years). My point is, why does the internet place so much importance on lifting heavy when apparently you can get super lean by just doing lunges and leg raises and lots of cardio with high reps and very low weights ? Women are told that lifting heavy with low reps is the best thing ever, but apparently it's possible to do the exact opposite and be lean too. I'm really confused and I don't know who to believe.

This kind of workouts are the exact opposites of my squats and deadlift sessions, yet she is a lot leaner than I've ever been lifting weights. So why bother with weights when apparently the secret to success are some ankle weights ? She and I have the same body shape, yet she seems to be getting better results by NOT lifting heavy.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/victorias-secret-butt-workout

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/443073/Train-like-an-angel-Victoria-s-Secret-beauty-Candice-Swanepoel-shares-her-workout-routine
  • douceurdevivre
    Options
    Thanks, dear <3 I don't wanna look like a VS model, I just want slightly thinner legs and I don't know how to achieve that.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Models are airbrushed and if you check their height/weight the are usually underweight. They are trying to keep the 34,24,34 measurements which is industry standard. I would guess they are eating far less than a fitness model. Given the choice I would build lean mass to increase my resting metabolism than diet down and have to sustain my weight through diet alone. You must also remember many of these girls got in the industry when they were young and thought lifting would make them bulky in fact they probably still feel this way.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    They're not of a different body type than the rest of the world. Some are pear shaped, like me, some have other shapes, and so on. But all of them are very lean (and many have been so for decades, not just for a few years). My point is, why does the internet place so much importance on lifting heavy when apparently you can get super lean by just doing lunges and leg raises and lots of cardio with high reps and very low weights ? Women are told that lifting heavy with low reps is the best thing ever, but apparently it's possible to do the exact opposite and be lean too. I'm really confused and I don't know who to believe.

This kind of workouts are the exact opposites of my squats and deadlift sessions, yet she is a lot leaner than I've ever been lifting weights. So why bother with weights when apparently the secret to success are some ankle weights ? She and I have the same body shape, yet she seems to be getting better results by NOT lifting heavy.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/443073/Train-like-an-angel-Victoria-s-Secret-beauty-Candice-Swanepoel-shares-her-workout-routine

Lifting heavy has other benefits besides looking good. I know when I'm an old hag with strong bones I'll be glad I lifted heavy when I was younger.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I would argue none of these women "got" super lean by doing these exercises, they always were super lean. These exercises just help them maintain it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Genetics mostly.

However, it's quite simple. To get a "toned" look you need to lower body fat through a calorie deficit and preserve muscle by exposing it to a sufficient amount of resistance progressively over time.

Resistance can be your own body weight, resistance bands, barbells whatever.

You don't ever need to do a single squat in your entire life if you don't want to and you could still get a nice looking body. You could even get it doing just "cardio" (no, really although this requires a much more significant time investment.)

Exercise selection is secondary to fundamental principles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just want slightly thinner legs and I don't know how to achieve that.

lower your bodyfat...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    We all have that one friend who eats whatever her or she wants as well as double the calories of everyone else but somehow manages to stay thin even with minimal, half-assed exercise. Genetics. :mad:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    We all have that one friend who eats whatever her or she wants as well as double the calories of everyone else but somehow manages to stay thin even with minimal, half-assed exercise. Genetics. :mad:

or you don't know how they eat when you're not around. I find it hard to believe genetics could magically gift the ability to eat all the food without gaining. I use to be that girl...then I got fat
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I have a dilemma: apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal, never ever touch any weights.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what their tastes or goals should be, but I couldn't more stridently object to this. :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

or you don't know how they eat when you're not around. I find it hard to believe genetics could magically gift the ability to eat all the food without gaining. I use to be that girl...then I got fat

This!!! No magical genetics are gonna make you lose when you eat more than your maintenance.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of lifting heavy, I have more shape and am more slender than I ever did when I did cardio all the time. With that being said, theres nothing knocking bodyweight exercises, they're a great place and workout for individuals who aren't able to access a gym, and I've had plenty hard bodyweight workouts that have left me sore.

With models, most of them are naturally slim, and tall. Also, look at their diets, not just their workouts, you can workout all you want, but if you aren't eating an appropriate balance of food and macros then you'll never achieve the body you want. In addition to all the stories of victorias secret models bodies and workouts, google stories on their crazy crash diets and what they do to get runway ready. No thank you.

As far as your legs being thinner, lower your bodyfat, but some people just happen to hold more muscle/fat in their legs, and a "thigh gap" is genetic. I am generally bigger on the bottom, so instead of being upset that I don't have thin legs, I've worked my *kitten* off (or on) in the gym to shape them and turn my legs and butt into the thing that most of my friends envy and comment on. If you want to "slim down" change your diet and lower your body fat, that simple. Lifting heavy and eating a calorie surplus everyday is going to lead to a weight gain, in addition not getting enough protein in your diet isn't ideal for muscle growth and repair. I haven't looked at your diary so I have no clue what your diet looks like, but really, hit your calorie goals and macros and give it 8-12 weeks, take pictures and measurements and watch your body change.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....despite never lifting heavy (which supposedly is the one and only way to get lean according to all the fitness enthusiasts on the internet) ?

Actually it's according to all the lifting enthusiasts.

They have the figures that one would expect from a managed diet and bodyweight exercise. Whether that's "perfect" or not is subjective.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You already look like that--beautiful and slender. You just need to see it.
  • latewinter
    Options
    2 words. air brush