How come models never lift heavy ?

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    For the last time, I don't want to look like a VS model. And I am at 17% body fat and already eating at a deficit (1500-1700 cals per day). A body fat% lower than that is unsustainable in the long term, I'm not aspiring to reach 10% or anything and neither do I want to be super skinny.

so question... what exactly IS your goal- since you put this big premise about what looks "perfect up" then spend the next 2 pages telling us that's not what you want.

I'm not trying to be mean- I swear- but let's get REALLY specific here.

Her goal is to get someone to agree that a barbie workout is what she needs. She's close, but I don't think anyone has yet.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

The retouching doesn't alter their bodies that much . . . . no, it doesn't.

Look closer, there are many changes that the author of the blog missed. Almost all of the shopped images have also had the legs slenderized and the waists raised and narrowed. A few have clearly had their arms shrunk (which seriously, the as-is arms are all twigs so that seems a little redundant).

Aren't these all the little things that women endup worrying about anyways, no matter how small? This is the kind of stuff I know they notice, because the come on here and ask about it (which is fine, my point is that it's not as subtle as it seems).
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    2 words. air brush

You can't airbrush the VS catwalk when they have the show on TV. Those are their bodies. They've been blessed by the genetic lottery physically speaking. Maybe their personal and emotional lives are train wrecks. I don't know!

OP: All I know is that wanting to look like someone else is not healthy. It takes you off your path and devalues the hard work you've done so far. I want to look like the best me and that's what I work toward.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I have a dilemma: apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal, never ever touch any weights.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what their tastes or goals should be, but I couldn't more stridently object to this. :flowerforyou:

^this...

...and in.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

The retouching doesn't alter their bodies that much . . . . no, it doesn't.

Look closer, there are many changes that the author of the blog missed. Almost all of the shopped images have also had the legs slenderized and the waists raised and narrowed. A few have clearly had their arms shrunk (which seriously, the as-is arms are all twigs so that seems a little redundant).

Aren't these all the little things that women endup worrying about anyways, no matter how small? This is the kind of stuff I know they notice, because the come on here and ask about it (which is fine, my point is that it's not as subtle as it seems).

That's my point. The difference are subtle but they are what make the VS pictures into the "ideal" bodies that people think they want. The models have tiny legs and stomachs but VS STILL SHRINKS THEM!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Good Grief.... Where are these Saddle bags you speak of? To look @ your pics you are tiny as all get out!

Here they are !

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6ae8d9275506e2aa82a5c74512856856/tumblr_mxe2fhopLk1qzd8cbo2_r1_500.jpg

That right there is genetics. Some of us store fat in "lumpy" ways instead of having it distributed more evenly across the body. The reality is that no matter what exercise you do, you will have to go the extra mile with fat loss - i.e., you will have to be extra-lean - to make that go away. And the only way to achieve that is through diet.

Look at it this way - the genetic roulette wheel gave you same exceptionally nice outcomes, this is the (small) price to pay for that.

With all that said, as a male with a tremendous amount of appreciation for the female form, I should add that I don't find that unattractive.

ETA: It is true that many images are phototshopped. It is also true that many models do actually look like that, as can be evidenced by seeing them on a runway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2 words. air brush

You can't airbrush the VS catwalk when they have the show on TV. Those are their bodies. They've been blessed by the genetic lottery physically speaking. Maybe their personal and emotional lives are train wrecks. I don't know!

OP: All I know is that wanting to look like someone else is not healthy. It takes you off your path and devalues the hard work you've done so far. I want to look like the best me and that's what I work toward.

no but all of you are crazy if you think they aren't using a use a crap load of make up on their bodies- including butt's and breasts and mid sections.

I agree work the upper body- the back- build your upper body and create a smaller waist visually- my waist looks hella tiny sometimes because I have an exceptional (well I think) lat spread- AND a nice wide hip.

Bam- two wide lines- and one small one in the middle = visual difference.
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    VS models are actually very muscular, but their body fat percentage is extremely low as well due to their dietary restrictions and strict exercise regime. If you are ready to commit to something as strict as they endure on the dietary side, then do the leg lifts and expect the body of a goddess. But if you're eating just a smidge more than you need for basic functions, then you like most of us will need heavier weights to boost your metabolism. Many models also claim that they "eat whatever they want" and we all know that's a farce too; so I'm not too concerned with the VS exercise regime.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They need to look delicate and willowy. You don't exactly look that way when you're lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    VS models are actually very muscular, but their body fat percentage is extremely low as well due to their dietary restrictions and strict exercise regime. If you are ready to commit to something as strict as they endure on the dietary side, then do the leg lifts and expect the body of a goddess. But if you're eating just a smidge more than you need for basic functions, then you like most of us will need heavier weights to boost your metabolism. Many models also claim that they "eat whatever they want" and we all know that's a farce too; so I'm not too concerned with the VS exercise regime.

BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

no.

just no
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I completely disagree with this. Physical appearance is one of many human attributes. If it is ok to emulate other people's ambition or drive or altruism or education, it is also perfectly ok to emulate their physical fitness and/or physical appearance.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Victoria Secret models work extremely hard to achieve their appearance. They may not lift HEAVY, but they do lift. And they work out far more than I'd likely ever have time for anyways. It's part of their JOB. And like anyone else has said, it's 80% genetics, 20% what you do with them.

If you're trying to look like a runway model, well, the only workout they do is probably in their own head. Unless they naturally look like a rail, they eat next to nothing and do mainly cardio. Most of them walk away from that career with eating disorders and/or drug addictions. They are not a body to aspire to be, they're merely hangers for clothing (sorry to sound harsh, but that's what they are there for). I'd also like to add, food related disorders have the highest mortality rate of all addictions. Mainly anorexia.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be strong and muscular, than thin and weak. But that is my opinion. I will always have the look of "saddlebags" because my side oblique muscles pop over my hip bones and can often look like 'fat'. I know it's not. (Although I've gained some weight back, so it's not as cut now).

If you want the VS lean model look - then do lots of cardio and keep a calorie deficit, with no strength training.
    If you want lean and somewhat muscly - then do cardio and strength, with deficit

If you want muscly but not ripped... then don't lean out as much. i.e. less deficit.

I think you look great as you are. But YOU have to decide what body type YOU want... and then see if it is possible for YOU... and then do the right stuff to get YOU there.

As for me... I prefer the strong and mildly ripped look to thin and breakable. And VS would never want me... I'm ok with that! :)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    2 words. air brush

This
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Some VS models do lift heavy weights (well moderately) and do squats. I read a workout plan from a VS model that said she does that. Some people are slim and slender. Lifting weights doesn't cause bulking up. I highly recommend it.

And then other VS models do pilates and body weight exercise, and if done well that is also highly effective. I did mostly that as a dancer for many years when I was younger and had a beautiful body. I'm 35 now and I think keeping up with weights is essential to maintain muscle as we get older. And the younger you start the better, take advantage of your muscle building potential. You won't get big muscles, just shapely and firm and the "toned" look you want.

I do Strong Curves bretcontreras.com

Here is a helpful article: http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I think that VS model Doutzen Kroes, for example, has a beautiful, healthy body.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They're not of a different body type than the rest of the world.

They may be those general shapes, but they are also very genetically blessed in a way the vast majority of women are not.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    And just keep in mind that when you see the VS models on the runway, they have gone on a many months long diet similiar to a competition diet. It is not sustainable long term and they do not maintain that year long. They will tell you that.
  • lisakay0x
    lisakay0x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oyyyyyyyyyyy.

Ladies, we need to stop chasing the ideal of "perfect".

Open your peepers a little and stop letting society shove what we should look like down our throats.

http://www.upworthy.com/5-minutes-of-what-the-media-actually-does-to-women-8
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Then someone needs to refer me to a therapist because I wanna look like The Rock. And before that I always wanted to look like a comic book superhero. There may even be a pic in my profile of me wearing a Batman logo shirt. Although I'm not a Batman fan. Daredevil is what I collected as a kid. But now I'm know I'm off the path, unhealthy, and don't value my hard work.

Learn something new every day.