Please explain low carbs and it's magical proprieties

Options
I need it explained in simple terms from those who swear by it. I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit and I am not talking about glycogen or water weight. My friend is doing it but is unable to explain how it work lol

Thank you

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit and I am not talking about glycogen or water weight.

There isn't anything to understand - you can't.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I need it explained in simple terms from those who swear by it. I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit

Me too!

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Your body doesn't think "Right, I need some energy - I'll have a bit of carbs, a bit of protein and ill top it off with a spoonful of fat". Doesn't work like that. Energy is energy.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For the same calories, you should have the same weight effects.

For me, though, when I eat carbs, I tend to crave more carbs, and then I crave even more carbs after that, and I end up eating a lot more. So for me, the point is not that it's low carb, but that it's high protein and fat. With protein and fat, I stay full, I don't get cravings, and I stay on my caloric target better.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of sciency mumbo jumbo that a science person might answer but my simple understanding after having done it with roaring success, is that you can only eat so much everything else and so naturally one will be consuming fewer calories because carbs tend to be high cal foods and then you will likely fall into a cal deficit and lose weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Initially, you lose weight quickly, but it's mostly water weight. Then it slows to what you would expect from just the calorie deficit.

Now what confuses me, is the whole ketogenic thing. :frown:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    more often than not, people tend to cut the carbs out and not replace the macros else where creating a larger deficit.... haha.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Not going to bother..... do your own research and TRY it if you are so inclined.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Not going to bother..... do your own research and TRY it if you are so inclined.

Replies to say she is not going to reply. :happy:

In for the magical properties.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that can explain keto better than I can. All I know is that it works. I'm down almost 30 lbs with keto, after months of the scale and measuring tape refusing to budge.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I need it explained in simple terms from those who swear by it. I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit and I am not talking about glycogen or water weight. My friend is doing it but is unable to explain how it work lol

Thank you

it has to do with the polarity of the molecules and the resulting counterclockwise direction of current flow in carbs. that current works to make you fat. the current flow in in protein and fats is clockwise and works to make you skinny. by the superposition principle, if you have so many carb molecules that you cancel out the current flow in your protein and fat molecules, you lose the natural "skinny effect" of the foods you eat. so by removing this counterclockwise carb current, your body naturally and automatically becomes "skinny". Einstein wrote a paper on this. look it up... Mr. Herbert Einstein. i saw this on Dr. Oz.

j/k :tongue:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you can, go watch the documentary "The Perfect Human Diet"--it'll give you a better idea of how our bodies use our food, particularly how it deals with sugars (& carbohydrates which convert into sugars) FIRST in its energy breakdown process because it is a much easier chemically to break down than proteins and fats. When you get all of your energy from the breakdown of sugar, the fats and protein are stored for later use. The basic premise of eating low carb is that you're depriving your body of the "easy" energy source and making it work harder by breaking down more complex chemical compounds. (This is why low carb diets such as Atkins allow limited "complex carbohydrates" as they take much longer to break down.)

The documentary delves into blood sugar/insulin spikes and how that makes us hungry more often, too, but it's been a while since I've watched it so I'm not going to reiterate science that I can't fully remember.

All that said... Some people can eat low carb and not have to watch their calories & still lose weight. That is NOT the case for me. I have to keep a close eye on my calorie intake and still maintain a deficit. I enjoy eating low carb because I feel a lot more energetic and healthy since it curbs my hypoglycemia. It's not "magic" by any means, just another path you can take on your weightloss journey :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Initially, you lose weight quickly, but it's mostly water weight. Then it slows to what you would expect from just the calorie deficit.

Speeking of keto, I have seen a reaserch where they injected ketones in rats brain and their appetite went way down.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Speeking of keto, I have seen a reaserch where they injected ketones in rats brain and their appetite went way down.

I heard that the appetite suppressing effect doubled if there were also raspberries in the cage.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I don't want to fight, I want to understand.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I want to feel the magic!
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    If you can, go watch the documentary "The Perfect Human Diet"--it'll give you a better idea of how our bodies use our food, particularly how it deals with sugars (& carbohydrates which convert into sugars) FIRST in its energy breakdown process because it is a much easier chemically to break down than proteins and fats. When you get all of your energy from the breakdown of sugar, the fats and protein are stored for later use. The basic premise of eating low carb is that you're depriving your body of the "easy" energy source and making it work harder by breaking down more complex chemical compounds. (This is why low carb diets such as Atkins allow limited "complex carbohydrates" as they take much longer to break down.)

The documentary delves into blood sugar/insulin spikes and how that makes us hungry more often, too, but it's been a while since I've watched it so I'm not going to reiterate science that I can't fully remember.

All that said... Some people can eat low carb and not have to watch their calories & still lose weight. That is NOT the case for me. I have to keep a close eye on my calorie intake and still maintain a deficit. I enjoy eating low carb because I feel a lot more energetic and healthy since it curbs my hypoglycemia. It's not "magic" by any means, just another path you can take on your weightloss journey :)

^This^ Also, just read up on a ketogenic diet. It's like when the pizza man breaks down on the way to your house, you have to get up and make something yourself. Your body has to find other ways to produce energy (calories) to burn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    When you get all of your energy from the breakdown of sugar...

It is impossible to get all your energy needs from sugar unless you are significantly over-eating.

The basic premise is flawed at its root.

If you are significantly over-eating, the body will attempt to store *all* excess macros - carb, fat or protein - as fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For the same calories, you should have the same weight effects.

For me, though, when I eat carbs, I tend to crave more carbs, and then I crave even more carbs after that, and I end up eating a lot more. So for me, the point is not that it's low carb, but that it's high protein and fat. With protein and fat, I stay full, I don't get cravings, and I stay on my caloric target better.
    I don't eat low carb, but I do look at what carbs I eat. I find this exactly. When I eat certain foods I find it very difficult to manage my calories. When I eat other foods I don't.
    YMMV
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Actually, the ketogenic diet wasn't created for weight loss. It was created to treat epilepsy in children and some adults.
This discussion has been closed.