Correcting people at the gym

Options
Do you ever do it? When, if ever, do you think it's appropriate? Have you ever received pointers/corrections that you appreciated? If someone comes up to you and delivers bad, unsolicited advice what's the most politic way of handling it?

I'll admit I often don't pay enough attention to what others are doing to notice execution unless they're doing something I want to try or doing something in a drastically different way than I do and I'm curious about the benefits of executing their way. Even in those cases I tend to ask my trainer about it later rather than the individual unless it's someone with whom I already have a rapport.

Replies

• Pandora_King
    Options
    I think it's sad that people are so afraid of offending someone that they will fight an urge to speak to a complete stranger. How else are you supposed to make friends and learn new things?!
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit pissed off if someone I didn't know just came over and started correcting me. Like why were they watching me in the first place, can't they concentrate on their own work out?
    If I had asked them to correct me, then cool, otherwise, nah
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If they're doing something your unfamiliar with but would like to give it a shot ask them about it. Wait until they're between sets, but ask. Most people are more than willing to take a couple minutes to explain what they're doing and why their form looks the way it does. Some may even be willing to spot you for a few reps to get your form right.

Unsolicited advice is a tricky area. From my experience, you usually only give advice if asked or if the person is about to cause injury to themselves or someone else. If they're doing something that looks like it's going to give them no results just giggle to yourself and move on. Don't film them and go "hey! look at this dummy!" Just let them do what they want to. There are plenty of ridiculous looking exercises that put incredible focus on one particular muscle group. Who am I to tell you that you're doing it wrong if it doesn't hurt anybody?

Edit: 1,000 inane comments by me! WOO!
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am generally against this, but, the other day, there were two guys that were _such_ beginners, and were doing something so stupid, and dangerous, that I felt I had to intervene. I just tried to talk to them in the most non-judgmental tone I could muster. Surprisingly, they actually took my advice . . . :)
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit pissed off if someone I didn't know just came over and started correcting me. Like why were they watching me in the first place, can't they concentrate on their own work out?
    If I had asked them to correct me, then cool, otherwise, nah

What if your form was bad and were risking injury...you would be pissed because someone was trying to help?!? I don't think I am one to offer advice at this point but I am more than open to anyone critiquing my form or making suggestions on my workout. More knowledge is power

ETA: As long as they weren't a **** about it
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I had someone correct me on lifting and was very thankful for it and he was polite about it.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's good if I'm doing something drastically wrong. If I'm pretty close but not perfect I'd say keep it to yourself unless your perfect and are willing to devote your time to training me for free.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Depends on a number of things. Is the person there to truly get a work out in? Or are they there just to make it look like they are doing something? Are they veterans of the gym (you can tell, believe me) or are they beginners (again, you can tell)? Are they doing something to obviously dangerous that to not intervene would mean calling 911 in the next 10 minutes?

For example, there was a female at the gym the other day who was doing bicep curls. And while I tend to stick to myself and not pay attention to others, the dance she was doing while doing the curls made it obvious she was using way too heavy of weights (at least that is the impression I got). You should not be humping air when you are doing bicep curls. She looked like a flapping fish out of water, literally. Luckily, I held my tongue. Because she was one of those people who just went from station to station, did 4 or 5 reps of the lightest weight, then texted, then did some more, then texted...you guys get the idea. So I just held my tongue and enjoyed the show.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I corrected a couple of teen boys at the gym just last week. I explained to them that I was doing leg lifts on a table that was facing them and happened to notice them and asked if I could give them some friendly advice. They said sure and that it was appreciated. I spent about 5 minutes helping them get it right, lowing the weight until they could get the form correct, and explaining why. They were going to end up blowing out their shoulders if they continued with what they were doing (overextending on a chest fly - they were letting their arms go straight back behind them!).

They seemed genuinely appreciative and agreed that they could actually feel the burn in their chest now. One of the kids mentioned that his shoulders were hurting but he didn't want to say anything to his buddy.

I don't do that very often, but if I see someone about to hurt themselves, I try to help a little. Most people appreciate it. The ones that don't just are embarrassed because their ego got in the way. I've been lifting for 25+years and have been corrected a few times too and always appreciated it.

On a side note, there was a "trainer" watching these kids hurt themselves and didn't say a word to them...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Someone corrected my form at the gym. The advice helped a lot and I appreciated it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have been on both the giving and receiving end of this subject. I believe it is all in how you approach a person. As long as the approach is polite, I have found advice given to me to be very helpful. Others can see angles that I cannot, and I appreciate that. I have offered the same to a couple of women who I knew were very new, and if they would have continued, would have led to injury. Every time it has resulted in lovely conversations and new gym friends.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe some of you would be mad. I have and I would correct someone. Specifically if they were doing something that could end up hurting them. In most cases when you see someone doing something wrong, they are trying to exercise the back without locking out the core. This is a surefire method for hurting the lower back. If I was doing it; i would be greatful if someone pointed it out to me.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I lifted for years and never got stronger and would always get hurt.

Then someone I didnt know corrected me and now I never get hurt and my gains have never been better. I am so thankful for that.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The only time I correct someone is if it looks like they are really going to hurt themselves or if they look completely clueless on how a machine works. I will usually only help women because anytime I've ever helped men they give me the whole "I know what I'm doing" look, even if they don't.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I would hope that if I was doing something in bad form, someone who knew better would let me know.

BUT, I have never corrected anyone at the gym, in fact, there is one lady who comes all the time and uses all the weight machines wrong. She's even broken one or two and I ALWAYS want to say something but I feel that's a management issue. I try to just refocus on my own workout and drown out the sound of the weights crashing down repeatedly...

I don't think anyone in my gym has ever spoken to me in the last year, no one talks unless they know each other.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't ever correct other people - or talk to other people for that matter - at the gym. I don't know enough to correct someone and I'm too shy to strike up a conversation.

HOWEVER, I would love it if someone corrected me if I was doing something wrong. Especially as I venture into new lifts with different weights, etc. It's hard for me to always know if I'm doing it right.

Even as an experienced runner, if someone told me about a different work out they do when we are on the treadmills I'd be loving it!

And I want gym friends.... lol I'm open to any non creep correcting me
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    If I saw someone endangering their life or someone else's I would step in, other than that I do not give or want unsolicited advice.

I have had too many "Personal Trainer wannabe's" or the "I've been lifting for two weeks and read Muscle & Fitness so now I know everything guy" come up and try to talk to me over the years, so I have come up with a standard answer, feel free to use it.

"If I wanted to look like you, I would work out like you!"
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I've been corrected for my squats once, I appreciated the help. I didn't appreciate though that he gave me advice while I was doing squats and not waiting until I was done or to at least put the bar back on the rack.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I've been on the receiving end of unsolicited advice. Occasionally it's been helpful, but often they are trying to tell me how to do something their way - eg I low bar squat and they will tell me to do something that is high bar squatting. If you have the confidence, you can just say thanks but [explain your methodology]... or if not, smile sweetly, thank them for their advice then ignore it.

I have also offered unsolicited advice - two guys were deadlifting with the roundest backs ever and I was worried they would hurt themselves. I said 'do you ever film yourself from the side?' which opened the conversation up, and once they had shown that they were receptive I explained the setup that I do when I deadlift. I was worried at the time that I might have offended, but they were very grateful, as they don't usually do it and one of them told me the next day that his back was really sore!

Generally I'll try and keep schtum, and if there is a trainer with someone don't butt in, however ridiculous they are being!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I did it once.. it wasn't well received.. but that girl was going to hurt herself..