Correcting people at the gym

Options

Replies

• M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had someone correct me once and he was nice, but he was flat out wrong and I called him out on it... awkward! So unless you are certified trainer or really do know what your talking about... just don't. With that said, I would not mind one bit if someone with some real knowledge came to correct my form or gave me tips as long as they were nice about it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am generally against this, but, the other day, there were two guys that were _such_ beginners, and were doing something so stupid, and dangerous, that I felt I had to intervene. I just tried to talk to them in the most non-judgmental tone I could muster. Surprisingly, they actually took my advice . . . :)

This,

I don't know everything myself, so I won't go in trying to play expert, but I do feel as a decent person that I should advise someone if they look like they are going to hurt themselves
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    Well for me, it's my job to attempt to do it. Since it's my profession, people take it more as advice than intrusion. It's also been helpful to my clientele since many state that because I took some free time to give them good advice, that I'm a person who really cares about helping them and not just making money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I haven't withheld comment on the rare occasion I see something because I'm afraid of other people. It's just that I'm not a trainer and I'm never going to be familiar with the 1001 reasons why someone may be doing something. Someone could have pre-existing injuries or conditions that necessitate modification. For all I know they worked with someone more qualified than I to develop that modification.

Since someone came up to me today who clearly had limited knowledge about what she was talking about, I was just curious where others drew the line. Some here have mentioned pressing danger. I definitely get that and think that's where I fall with people I've never spoken to before. If I notice that you are about to hurt yourself in the next few seconds/minutes I doubt I'd think twice about saying something because I'm probably not wasting time contemplating your motives for doing X versus Y. But if you're doing 1/4 ROM squats. Whatever. None of my business.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I corrected a couple of teen boys at the gym just last week. I explained to them that I was doing leg lifts on a table that was facing them and happened to notice them and asked if I could give them some friendly advice. They said sure and that it was appreciated. I spent about 5 minutes helping them get it right, lowing the weight until they could get the form correct, and explaining why. They were going to end up blowing out their shoulders if they continued with what they were doing (overextending on a chest fly - they were letting their arms go straight back behind them!).

They seemed genuinely appreciative and agreed that they could actually feel the burn in their chest now. One of the kids mentioned that his shoulders were hurting but he didn't want to say anything to his buddy.

I don't do that very often, but if I see someone about to hurt themselves, I try to help a little. Most people appreciate it. The ones that don't just are embarrassed because their ego got in the way. I've been lifting for 25+years and have been corrected a few times too and always appreciated it.

On a side note, there was a "trainer" watching these kids hurt themselves and didn't say a word to them...

That is sad. You would think a trainer would be the first to speak up.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would be very appreciative if someone corrected my form and they genuinely wanted to help and not just rub up on me.
  • aljharvey
    aljharvey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'll help someone if they ask me otherwise I usually don't say anything. No one has ever corrected me, I wouldn't have a problem if they were actually trying to help.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am generally against this, but, the other day, there were two guys that were _such_ beginners, and were doing something so stupid, and dangerous, that I felt I had to intervene. I just tried to talk to them in the most non-judgmental tone I could muster. Surprisingly, they actually took my advice . . . :)

I would say unwanted advice is always unwanted. However, I'm an open minded person and also not an expert on fitness. If someone had a great tip or something to keep me safe and uninjured, I would gladly except.

Don't be prideful, people!

Brittany
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've never approached anyone else, but I'm still learning myself. If I really, REALLY saw something where someone was going to kill themselves, then I might try to say something, but it would depend on the situation.

No one has ever approached me either, but if they approached me with a helpful attitude rather than a demeaning one I'd probably be okay with it. Again, I'm still learning, and it's hard sometimes to make sure you have the correct form (you can't watch yourself, and mirrors only do so much). I'd probably go home and research what they suggested I do though, just to make sure I'm not listening to broscience.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've only given unsolicited advice to one person in our gym. Her form was so bad on this one move it hurt me to watch it so I asked if she minded some guidance and she was fairly cool about it. Not sure if she took the advice as I haven't witnessed her strength training since (we happen to go at slightly different times) but she's still friendly and talks to me so I assume it was taken well.

There is one guy who is famous for giving unsolicited (and sometime very bro-sciency) advice but everyone knows how he is so no one gets offended.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I would hope that if I was doing something in bad form, someone who knew better would let me know.

BUT, I have never corrected anyone at the gym, in fact, there is one lady who comes all the time and uses all the weight machines wrong. She's even broken one or two and I ALWAYS want to say something but I feel that's a management issue. I try to just refocus on my own workout and drown out the sound of the weights crashing down repeatedly...

I don't think anyone in my gym has ever spoken to me in the last year, no one talks unless they know each other.

This^^

Being a beginner I would welcome tips from others, on form especially. It seems that wont happen though because I'm almost positive no one else does squats or deadlifts at my gym (I haven't seen anyone anyway) even the trainers (all women) are into the cardio and don't lift anymore than 15#.

I have had an older man tell (in passing conversationally) me "...yeah. You don't want to bulk up." in reference to me doing strength training (before I started lifting)

Ha! And oh boy do I ever get looks from the older ladies when I grab that barbell! LOL! Even had an old man on a stationary bike nearly breaking his neck to look around the person in front of him to see me. Every time I'd look up at him he'd duck behind that person. It was hysterical!

Oh but I'm getting off subject.....so yes...please approach me with usable tips lol
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I've never approached anyone else, but I'm still learning myself. If I really, REALLY saw something where someone was going to kill themselves, then I might try to say something, but it would depend on the situation.

No one has ever approached me either, but if they approached me with a helpful attitude rather than a demeaning one I'd probably be okay with it. Again, I'm still learning, and it's hard sometimes to make sure you have the correct form (you can't watch yourself, and mirrors only do so much). I'd probably go home and research what they suggested I do though, just to make sure I'm not listening to broscience.

YES^^^THIS
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The only time I've offered advice in the gym was when a guy was struggling with adjusting unfamiliar spotting pins.

Other than that I keep myself to myself, even when I see things that look bat**** crazy to me. I always remind myself that they could just as easily know something I don't.

Case in point - kipping pullups. They look like bat**** crazy pullups to the uninitiated, but are an acceptable exercise in their own right.

Perhaps if you're Mark Rippetoe you've earned the right to correct people in the gym. But assuming you aren't, keep your unsolicited advice to yourself.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've done it once.

I was resting between squat sets at the squat rack and a woman was doing squats in the power cage next to me. I noticed that the had the pins up way too high - such that she a) had to get on her tippy toes just to get the bar off and on, and was struggling even then; and b) ended up doing super-high bar, such that she winced because the bar was hitting her spine and not her traps.

When she got finished with a set, I simply suggested to her that she lower the pins, to fix those base problems, and showed her how to pinch her traps/shoulders so that the bar didn't hurt her neck. She was open to my suggestions and was thankful that I showed her how to set up for squats without risking injury.

It probably helped that I was there well before she started, so that I wasn't just creeping on her; was doing squats myself, so I appeared to her to know what I was doing; and pointed out that it looked like her neck was hurting. It probably also helped that as soon as she tried her first set and seemed to be OK, I went back to doing my own thing.

The only other time I really thought about it was one time during the late summer when a couple of high-school looking kids were doing power cleans with waaaaaaaay too much weight. Luckily, one of the trainers was nearby and said something. They listened for as long as he was around. As soon as he left, they put the weight back on and went back to being all over the place. I haven't seen them since. I don't know if they went back to school, hurt themselves, or just left (or get kicked out of) our gym.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how you go about it. I'm super open to pointers as I recognize I'm still a beginner with weight training. My issue comes when guys use it as an excuse to peacock. No you are not entitled to mah digits just because you helped me out for a few minutes. That and I don't think it's appropriate to show off your know-how by systematically going through every muscle group and gasping at how far I still have to come. Had a guy do that once, and I finally just walked away when he told me I should be losing weight. I'm 105lbs, I think I'm alright :noway:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Do you ever do it? When, if ever, do you think it's appropriate? Have you ever received pointers/corrections that you appreciated? If someone comes up to you and delivers bad, unsolicited advice what's the most politic way of handling it?

I'll admit I often don't pay enough attention to what others are doing to notice execution unless they're doing something I want to try or doing something in a drastically different way than I do and I'm curious about the benefits of executing their way. Even in those cases I tend to ask my trainer about it later rather than the individual unless it's someone with whom I already have a rapport.

Sometimes. For example when they do planks that look like tents or squats with knees facing inward. Many do abs with their neck so bent out of shape that I worry they're causing more damage than good.

I have no issued with being corrected; I welcome it because I know I can always do better. It's hard to see ourselves sometimes because we're so focused on getting the exercise done.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Do you ever do it? When, if ever, do you think it's appropriate? Have you ever received pointers/corrections that you appreciated? If someone comes up to you and delivers bad, unsolicited advice what's the most politic way of handling it?

I'll admit I often don't pay enough attention to what others are doing to notice execution unless they're doing something I want to try or doing something in a drastically different way than I do and I'm curious about the benefits of executing their way. Even in those cases I tend to ask my trainer about it later rather than the individual unless it's someone with whom I already have a rapport.

I have actually approached 2 different people at the gym and given them advice.

The first one was a lady who ALWAYS comes in and has NO clue what she is doing. For a period of time this summer she would use the cable shoulder or chest press ( I can't remember which) and instead of sitting on the seat, she would stand and do this comical looking shadow boxing stuff. Her form was horrible. It was painful to watch ( as I was on a bike facing her). One day I couldn't take it anymore, so I went over and asked her something to the effect of "can I give you a few pointers on how to get a more effective workout on that machine?" She said yes, so I demonstrated proper use of the machine, then told her about the FREE machine orientation offered by one of the trainers ( which she has never taken to my knowledge).

the second one I was also on the bike, and I saw a guy using the same machine wrong, and it looked like he was using a weight too high for him. I bit my tongue and decided to watch him a little longer. It turns out that he was new to our gym, and he has CP. I did approach him and mention that the exercises he was trying to do might be easier done on the cable cross machine, then offered to show it to him. We chatted for a few minutes, and he says Hi if we happen to be at the gym at the same time.

I do kind of keep my eyes open for people with a lost/confused look on their face, and will usually approach them and ask if they need help.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit pissed off if someone I didn't know just came over and started correcting me. Like why were they watching me in the first place, can't they concentrate on their own work out?
    If I had asked them to correct me, then cool, otherwise, nah

This... Mind your own business. I will mind mine. If I injure myself, it is my own damn fault.

Wow. You'd rather injure yourself than have to associate with another human being? That's really great.

Why yes it is... Minding your own business is a wonderful thing. :flowerforyou:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I only do it if someone who is clearly new (it's all regulars at 5AM....) is honest to god going to kill themselves. I've only done it twice, and it was well received both times. Maybe it's just because the 5AM crowd aren't *kitten*, but ya never know.