Correcting people at the gym

Options

Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If they don't ask, i stay out of it. If I don't ask, leave me alone. I'm in the gym to workout and get out. I'm not looking to make friends once I start my first warm up set. You can say hey in passing, but I don't want a conversation. I have a stop watch for between sets and during that time I'm thinking about the next set.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If I see someone and I think they might hurt themselves I will offer some suggestions. Other then that I stay out unless asked first.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit pissed off if someone I didn't know just came over and started correcting me. Like why were they watching me in the first place, can't they concentrate on their own work out?
    If I had asked them to correct me, then cool, otherwise, nah

WOW....that seems harsh"!!

What if you were doing something that could possibly cause you injury?! Many gyms have personal trainers on staff that if/when they are not helping a client often watch people working out. Most of the time they will not interrupt your workout, but if they saw you or anyone doing something with terrible form and could cause serious injury - I would think it would be in your and their interest to have them say something.

If Joe Schmo came to tell me something - I'd take it into consideration, thank him/her and then continue with me workout. I'm no expert so I'm always open for advise.

As for me offering - only if I see someone about to get very hurt I may say something. But otherwise.... I let them be.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I train at my university gym and get corrected alllllll the time. Usually it's because I'm the only or one of few females in the weight room and the guys either want to talk or feel the need to show how great they are. The advice is usually unsolicited, and most of the time incorrect (I had one kind gentleman correct my deadlift form by demonstrating a squat... not understanding they were different things). I'm an acsm personal trainer, and would like to think I know a little about what I'm doing. However, I always thank the person for the advice, and if it was incorrect politely explain why I was doing it they way I was. I've helped people a few times, but mostly because its my job... and if I'm at another gym usually only if they ask or if I know they're new and seem to be struggling... typically the people who are having trouble adjusting machines and such.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't give a crap about other people at the gym.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If someone approached me asking my advice, I would be polite and give them a response.

I give no unsolicited advice.

I would and have interjected some safety warnings when I saw something happening that could injure someone, but generally I would report such to the gym management.

Like Knockingon50, I would not accept the unsolicited advice of anyone and would politely tell them to do things their way and allow me to do things my way.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit pissed off if someone I didn't know just came over and started correcting me. Like why were they watching me in the first place, can't they concentrate on their own work out?

This... Mind your own business. I will mind mine. If I injure myself, it is my own damn fault.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on their attitude and knowledge of what they are talking about. A trainer corrected me on my weighted sit up form the other day, and it really helped.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I love being corrected by people at the gym because I did not always know what I was doing and the people correcting me were either trainers or athletes .
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'll speak up, but only when it's a safety thing. Like, when I see someone deadlifting or squatting with a rounded back, or with bowed in knees.

Otherwise I'll just leave them alone. Besides usually when you see someone doing those things, they are new, and they appreciate someone giving them some feedback.

I remember when I was starting out, I had to ask people to watch my form all the time and it was kind of awkward for some (they were cool, but it was wierd for them I guess), so having someone volunteer to help would have been cool and really helpful.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I had someone try to correct me while I was swimming the other day. It irked me, but I rolled with it and asked how to correct it. They said they didn't know! It had to do with breathing, coming from someone who was using a snorkel!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't pay enough attention to others to watch their form. I had a guy correct my pull-up form one time and it really weirded me out, then he sat there like he wanted to watch me do it again so he could critique me. It was super awkward.
  • Pandora_King
    Options

This... Mind your own business. I will mind mine. If I injure myself, it is my own damn fault.

Wow. You'd rather injure yourself than have to associate with another human being? That's really great.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The gym is my time for me, not anyone else. I am not there to talk or make friends, i prefer to be left alone and I leave others to whatever they are doing.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If they're doing something your unfamiliar with but would like to give it a shot ask them about it. Wait until they're between sets, but ask. Most people are more than willing to take a couple minutes to explain what they're doing and why their form looks the way it does. Some may even be willing to spot you for a few reps to get your form right.

Unsolicited advice is a tricky area. From my experience, you usually only give advice if asked or if the person is about to cause injury to themselves or someone else. If they're doing something that looks like it's going to give them no results just giggle to yourself and move on. Don't film them and go "hey! look at this dummy!" Just let them do what they want to. There are plenty of ridiculous looking exercises that put incredible focus on one particular muscle group. Who am I to tell you that you're doing it wrong if it doesn't hurt anybody?

Edit: 1,000 inane comments by me! WOO!

^^True
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't say a word. I'll keep an eye open for the guy on the bench going hard without a spotter, or someone going for a heavy squat and getting stuck in the hole, but besides that - live and let live.

However, on the occasions I have been asked for advice, I've been perfectly happy to give a couple of ques or demonstrate something I'm trying to explain.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I normally do not talk to people at the gym. I have my headphones in and do my workouts. But if i see someone do something that will harm them (bad form or using the wrong equipment) then i will say something. but other than that i generally give off leave me alone so i can finish my workout and go back to my van down by the river.

a guy that was spotting me suggested i should widen my grip on my benching and i would be able to do more. best advice i was ever given.
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I don't know near enough to give anyone advice but if someone approached me, I'd be down with it. Assuming the person wasn't just being rude or mean. I want to do things better and correctly. I'm still learning.
  • RoboGal12
    RoboGal12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Story time!

Back when I was doing group training sessions, I remember this one lady in the class kept correcting me. Little things here and there. The thing is, there was an instructor right there. He was already helping me out, as I was semi-new. I wish I would have told her to back off, I already had an instructor. But I was a chicken and didn't.

After class, however, my instructor took me aside and kindly mentioned how he could tell I was getting frustrated. I let him know I already had insecurity about being the fat newbie in the class, and pushing myself to be there was hard enough, I didn't need some stranger making me her special project. She might have had good intentions, or maybe she was just showing off, who knows. He agreed and apologized for not stepping in to let her know that her help is appreciated, but unnecessary.

By the next class, she kept to herself, I got the training I needed from the instructor, and the world moved on.

Moral of the story: I thinking helping is fine, give it a shot. But if someone really doesn't want or *need* it, back off. If you keep pushing when you aren't wanted, then you have some sort of hero complex.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If it were a friend of mine, or even someone I was familiar with (had spoken to), I'd probably stop and ask. Otherwise, I mind my own business.

On that, I typically don't talk to people in the gym. I'm there to work out and I don't want to break my focus/intensity.