Correcting people at the gym

Options

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've never been corrected and I've never corrected anyone in an unsolicited way. The closest I came was one time this young guy was benching a weight that was obviously way beyond his capability. I watched him set up the bar and get ready to try and lift something that wasn't possible. I didn't stop him beforehand, but it was obviously wrong and I kept my eye on it. When he finally started, he predictably failed... so I rushed over to help him up. At that point I talked to him a bit about the heavy bench and gave some cautionary advice. I noticed I wasn't the only one looking at his setup, there were others around giving him sideways glances.

In hindsight I feel it was pretty irresponsible of him to put me in that position. If I talk to him beforehand, I'm a jerk. If I wait for him to fail, he's risking serious injury. I made a judgement call, I opted for the latter. But it was very stupid and all too typical of males who think they know what they're doing but obviously don't. A little more time spent doing training, basics and knowing your limits would be very kind to the rest of us. But I do think problems like this are pretty common among guys. Yes, I hate my gender.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad that people are so afraid of offending someone that they will fight an urge to speak to a complete stranger. How else are you supposed to make friends and learn new things?!

I asked a dude a question a few weeks ago and he stood about 4 inches from me (he actually stepped closer to me which I had asked the question from a normal distance).
    I don't really like talking to people at the gym and since then, I'm pretty much not going to talk to someone unless it's to ask how many sets they have left.
  • kgbenny
    kgbenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A trainer at my gym has corrected my husband while we were lifting (it was kettlebell swings, which I have down pat due to 2 years with my own personal trainer but my husband is clueless and wanted to match or beat my weight, which isn't good for a beginner without proper form) and I've seen him jump in and correct other people. He's amazing and polite and friendly - his help is always welcome.

Some of the guys at my gym really have a handle on things and I would always welcome their advice. Others, not so much. I see a lot of older men and teenage boys doing things that are either completely useless or slightly dangerous. Mostly useless. I say nothing and focus on not hurting myself.

Edit to say that if they were doing something VERY dangerous, I would be speaking up. If not to them personally, then to the trainers to jump in and help. By slightly dangerous, I mean they might pull something or strain something.
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I got an injury (intercostals) from doing lifts wrong, if I knew someone saw me and didn't correct me I'd be more p****d about that - so , yeah, please help people you may save them some serious pain and damage. Three weeks non workout and painkillers was not fun. :flowerforyou:

If they don't appreciate your help - oh well, least you tried. And if you don't see them for a few weeks, well - you know why!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The ocasions it has happened to me it's totally annoyed me - usually a male, you're the only female in a free weights area anyway and then someone comes along and totally undermines your confidence and makes you feel totally self conscious for the rest of your workout by critiquing your squat technique or whatever.
    I don't like it one bit, where does anyone get off thinking they know everything, why don't they just not invade other people's space (busy working mum getting her one hour to herself all day!) by "helping" them when "help" was not invited.
    My husband says its they're way of hitting on me which makes me feel even crosser about it.
    I see plenty of people doing stuff either incorrectly or just pointlessly but I'm here for my time not to supervise others.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The ocasions it has happened to me it's totally annoyed me - usually a male, you're the only female in a free weights area anyway and then someone comes along and totally undermines your confidence and makes you feel totally self conscious for the rest of your workout by critiquing your squat technique or whatever.
    I don't like it one bit, where does anyone get off thinking they know everything, why don't they just not invade other people's space (busy working mum getting her one hour to herself all day!) by "helping" them when "help" was not invited.
    My husband says its they're way of hitting on me which makes me feel even crosser about it.
    I see plenty of people doing stuff either incorrectly or just pointlessly but I'm here for my time not to supervise others.
    And here is why most people don't take the risk :)
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options

How does it undermine you or make you feel totally self conscious. Someone is taking time out of THEIR workout to come and help you. Unless someone has said "you're stupid" or "what the hell are you doing" I don't see how their help can make you feel self conscious - surely that's just how you are interpreting it? But just think how awesome you will feel when you can lift like a machine!!!

Pretty sure they don't think they know everything, but if they know more than me and are prepared to share, I'm prepared to listen.

Your husband sounds jealous. But that's a whole other problem entirely....
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My husband says its they're way of hitting on me its they're way of hitting on me

Ding ding ding. I'm willing to bet most of the people receiving unsolicited advice are attractive women and most of the guys giving it are peacocking.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you're not always right. i don't care how "fit" you look. I've had buff dudes tell me I shouldn't be squatting deep or should point my toes a different way or bench with a much wider grip.

If someone looks like they want help or ask for advice, then fine. If they strike up a conversation with you, then fine. But don't come up to someone acting like you're Allah's gift to the fitness industry.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I got an injury (intercostals) from doing lifts wrong, if I knew someone saw me and didn't correct me I'd be more p****d about that - so , yeah, please help people you may save them some serious pain and damage. Three weeks non workout and painkillers was not fun. :flowerforyou:

If they don't appreciate your help - oh well, least you tried. And if you don't see them for a few weeks, well - you know why!

It's your responsibility to use correct form. Not everyone else in the gym. Commercial gyms just don't have that atmosphere. If you want a group of people who will look out for you in that regard, join a small lifting-focused gym or start working out with a partner.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people are doing in the gym. Random bad form is irrelevant to me. If someone asks, I'll help. If someone is stuck under a bar, I'll lift it.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't generally correct anyone. If it's a mistake that might lead to a dangerous situation for someone, I may politely chime in, but otherwise I keep it to myself. I've had mixed luck correcting people, with some thanking me and others just acting butthurt about it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My husband says its they're way of hitting on me its they're way of hitting on me

Ding ding ding. I'm willing to bet most of the people receiving unsolicited advice are attractive women and most of the guys giving it are peacocking.

It would be interesting to see the gender ratio of those who were correcting/corrected by others.

Edited to add - I've only been corrected once, I didn't feel hit on at all. I was super annoyed and it was 6am - I wasn't getting approached because I was looking hot.
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Man, I hope that isn't sarcasm, because I'm the exact same way. There is a trainer or two at my gym that walk around and do that. They get paid to help. I don't.
    I don't give a crap about other people at the gym.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's good if I'm doing something drastically wrong. If I'm pretty close but not perfect I'd say keep it to yourself unless your perfect and are willing to devote your time to training me for free.

1. I have seen a fight happen because one guy (who I know) told the other guy to stop slamming the weights ... it was an ugly fight!
    2. Trainers constantly come up to me, on or off shift, asking to give me advice and wanting to train me (probably because they will make a lot of money off my big *kitten* lol) and its ANNOYING ... everytime that I see them they say something to me about it. It makes me not want to go! I have even had to almost yell NO to someone! crazy.
    3. I can bet that when you give the advice they say thanks but avoid you and the gym for a while. .. I can see how people would be annoyed/offended if someone offered help
    4. offering help to someone could make you a liability if they end up getting hurt ... JUST BECAUSE THEY DID IT RIGHT THAT ONE TIME DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT RIGHT EVERYTIME ...

I WOULD SAY IF IT DOESNT DIRECTLY IMPACT YOU ... LEAVE IT ALONE.

50540473.png
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not experienced enough to correct anyone, but I don't feel that I would be offended if someone did especially if I was risking injuring myself. I wouldn't want anyone to come up barking orders at me, but definitely politely asking if they could help me. I would be OK with.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I want to correct this one dude that squats like an *kitten*. He's up on his toes, it's just the worst form I've ever seen. And, this other chick that lifts with her back when she squats. There's this other guy that just puts on way too much weight, and goes down like 1/8th about 3 times, and does this about 6 sets. It's ridiculous. There's this other guy that put about 320lbs on a bar, and deadlifts...ALL BACK. OMG. It freaks me out to watch it. Theres this other guy that does push-ups, I guess, but he doesn't bend his elbows, he just kind of keeps his arms straight, and drops his head and chest. It's so stupid. I want to punch him.

I don't have time to correct all these *kitten*.

i-sense-that-youre-mad-bro-thumb.jpg
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I've been corrected and I've corrected a few. I had no problem with getting corrected, sometimes you develop a bad habit and it takes an outside eye to see it and be bold in telling you.

Not really correcting someone but I've spotted for many folks who were lifting way too much weight. I'd notice they are putting on too much weight and go over and volunteer to spot for them clearly knowing they were going to fail on the list. There is also proper ways to spot someone where you are "helping" them only through the zone where they get stuck and not the whole lift.