are there certain drinks/food to avoid to get a flat belly?

Options

Replies

• Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    5 out of 4 doctors polled agree these comments are going nowhere. I think I'll go have a soda... ;)

That sounds good! Now I'm seriously going to go and have a diet coke with my seitan sandwich while admiring my flat stomach:P
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    5 out of 4 doctors polled agree these comments are going nowhere. I think I'll go have a soda... ;)
    But were any of them faeologists?
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    People need to understand the differences between primary, secondary, and tertiary sources.

Primary
    -actual peer reviewed scientific research studies. Can be boring to read, but usual the most accurate unbiased opinion.

Secondary
    -Articles that reach conclusions based on one or more Primary Sources. Bibliographies and citations are required to be a Secondary Source. Usually reaches a wider scope of an issue than Primary, but is subject to authors bias, not as dry to read.

Tertiary + Sources
    -Articles, blogs, news stories that get all there info from secondary, primary or tertiary sources. Basically these can be spun to mean anything you want them to. No citations are usually required or given. This http://glutenintoleranceschool.com/gluten-intolerance-bloating/ is a great example of one. Usually they will try to give themselves credibility by using phrasing like "studies show" and "scientifically proven".
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    j9fBR9E.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    man I'm craving a diet pepsi now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find that anytime someone is limiting a particular macronutrient, or in this case Gluten, there experience is weight loss, not because the Gluten causes weight gain, but simply because they are actually watching their diet.

Calories In/Calories Out is pretty much the gospel. Regardless of what you eat. Obviously, you should consume good nutritious foods and not 'empty calories'.

The one exception to this rule would be the ketogenic diets, because they cause a shift in your body's metabolism. This is probably the one exception.

I personally do a CKD and lift heavy and the results have been outstanding: 40 lbs. lost so far in about 3-4 months with visible results.

P.S. Unnatural sweeteners (pretty much everything except Stevia-based products) are typically bad for you and only lead to more cravings for sugar. And I've come to the conclusion that carbs are pretty much ****. If I didn't need them for my brain or liver, I wouldn't eat them, period.

Are you suggesting the keto diets defy the laws of thermodynamics? And how does it shift your metabolism?

BTW, i solve my sugar cravings by eating a klondike. So regardless of the diet, even keto, it's about calories in vs out. There is absolutely NO exception. And you lose very quickly in the beginning with Keto diets as you store less glycogen/water.

ps- i drink one or two diet mt. dews daily.. does not effect weight loss at all.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    its personal. I avoid carbonated drinks as they bloat me, but I am unable to burp.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Shrug, ask a doctor, nutritionist, anyone who has ever done a gluten elimination diet. I don't eat gluten free. I love bread, beer, condiments, etc. But I did a gluten free diet for three months, and was amazed at how much better I felt physically. I don't have celiac, or an intolerance. I don't claim to be a doctor or researcher, but I've read up on it, and my primary care doctor is a naturopath who advocates it for many reasons. I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies:
    So, you're not a doctor or a researcher. You're just parroting what a naturopath has told you. Good to know.

And personal experience, as well a reading up on it, like I said.
    Look, I'm really not trying to pick on you, but if I said I did a lot of reading up on wizards and fairies would you accept that they exist? There is a lot to read about them out there. :smile:

...You mean they DON'T exist?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    its personal. I avoid carbonated drinks as they bloat me, but I am unable to burp.

A life without beer? :(
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    This is bull****!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Drink all the drinkz! (Except juice. Then eat all the fruitz).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Avoid wheat/gluten.

why?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It's pretty well documented that gluten causes bloat, even in people without a tested intolerance.

ummm, negative
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Shrug, ask a doctor, nutritionist, anyone who has ever done a gluten elimination diet. I don't eat gluten free. I love bread, beer, condiments, etc. But I did a gluten free diet for three months, and was amazed at how much better I felt physically. I don't have celiac, or an intolerance. I don't claim to be a doctor or researcher, but I've read up on it, and my primary care doctor is a naturopath who advocates it for many reasons. I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/

If you feel better without it, you probably have some level of intolerance. But for you to advocate to EVERYONE as the fix for tummy bloat is...:noway:
  • ndj1979
    Options

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/

Did you look at the studies? He mentions a couple of real facts from them (that there needs to be increased screening for celiac) and the rest of his "facts" he pulls out of .....well, somewhere unpleasant. For instance, that an estimated 99% of people have undiagnosed wheat issues, which is a load of bull.

Again credible sources.

The sources listed at the bottom look credible to me.

the person who is not a doctor or researcher says the "sources look credible" ….hey Chamberlain thought he had a peace deal with Hitler, and we all know how that went...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it possible to work Hitler into a thread on foods that prevent belly fat.

I was clearly wrong.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I didn't think it possible to work Hitler into a thread on foods that prevent belly fat.

I was clearly wrong.

i am slick like that….
    maybe it was an extreme analogy..but people thought he was credible…just saying…

now I am going to go eat some gluten..
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, all foods that cause you to go over your daily intake.

This

All foods that cause me to go over my intake, or even worse binge, are ones that I should avoid really. It could be something like ice cream and cake, to rum or peanut butter, but I have a list of foods that I shouldn't have in the house or buy often.

Having a diet pepsi once in a while won't do anything. For me having it daily may cause bloating, but I'm not a big soda drinker.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    By the standard that you should avoid gluten due to bloat, I guess that means you should also avoid broccoli or beans. Because I don't know about you, but those suckers bloat me up like a hot air balloon! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's not about avoiding foods, it's about eating at a calorie deficit and losing fat.