Death by candy...sabotage ?

Options

Replies

• Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    The thing is... it is not your "office" You don't have an office. The table with the tree and candy dish are actually "public" (as in all employees have access to it).

Honestly, deal with it. Don't be a jerk and dump the dish into the trash or hide it. That will just make everyone else upset with you and dislike you. It is also childish.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Am I being unreasonable?
    Yes you are.
    Anyone with any experience will tell you maintenance is the hardest part.
    No it isn't - it's far easier being the right weight and having a higher calorie allowance.
    We are all human and give in to temptation...
    Agree!
    Enjoy in moderation and move on.
    If you go over one day go under the next.
    Have a treat now and again.
    Plan better.
    Self-control.....
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The thing is... it is not your "office" You don't have an office. The table with the tree and candy dish are actually "public" (as in all employees have access to it).

Honestly, deal with it. Don't be a jerk and dump the dish into the trash or hide it. That will just make everyone else upset with you and dislike you. It is also childish.

I never said I was going to dump it in the trash for goodness sake...I wouldn’t take it to that extreme.
    I did not intend to “hide” it either, just simply move it to the lunch table which is also a public place everyone can access. I tried this before and someone moved it back in front of my desk. I guess I’m in the wrong for considering that childish behavior.

Yes, I agree planning is key.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    Is this person moving the candy dish in front of u overweight by chance or has a jealous side? Just throwing it out there but maybe they are doing this on purpose to sabatoge your achievement, perhaps they are jealous???

My mother told me if I can't say anything nice...I would definately say jealous...She's made comments in the past about my visiting the gym like "you can't do that everyday". This response was unprompted as I did not ask for her opinion.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You know, for once, I'm going to partially side with the OP.

I can also see why the OP would like it somewhere a little less in her face. Studies have shown that we all have limited will-power reserves, and if you can avoid having to exercise it all day, everyday, I can see why you'd want to. So long as you're respectfully talking to co-workers about it, and not just throwing it in the trash, I think you're being pretty reasonable - up to that point. You're being a bit of a pain in the neck not just going with the flow, but I can see your reasons.

Reading sabotage into their refusal to accommodate you is where you get unreasonable.

Ultimately, everyone in the office has a right to voice their opinion on where the candy dish should be. I can see why people would want it out in the open - it's one of those warm, Christmassy, welcoming things. Sometimes your wants and needs can be completely reasonable, but still you still don't get your own way because you are in the minority. That's just life. Coping with less than ideal circumstance is a life-skill and is always required when you are sharing space with other people.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. There is a "common area" about a foot away from my desk. Honestly, I just live with it. I treat it like training for the rest of my life and as a symbol of how far I have come that I don't have to put every sweet thing in my mouth.

Although it helps that I offered to buy the candy last time and brought in my least favorite type so I wouldn't be tempted. That really did help.

My friend brought some in the time before that that was left over from Halloween- a year before. Knowing it was that old was another deterrent.

I thought about that and I think it's a great idea :smile:
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    Dear Scooby,

Would it help if you bought in your own 'treats' that you have allotted into your daily calorie count, so at least that way you could enjoy something nice but not end up getting into the whole sugary thing????

I'm going to do this b/c it would be helpful. Skinny cow is great!
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    Move it. Problem solved.

I'll try that again and see how it goes and just continue to move it. It didn't work last yr. but I'll have to wait an see.

I'm a *****. If someone sat it near my desk, I moved it away and it came back, I'd dump the whole thing, dish and all into the nearest garbage can.

well aren't you a gem?

Punish the whole office because you can't control yourself...

Maybe punish the whole office because they aren't respecting her wishes to keep the candy in a different room because she ADMITS she is having a PROBLEM with it.

She's doing her best - her workmates are in the wrong here - this is how I see it.

If she didn't speak up and just threw them away then that is wrong.

If this was people smoking in the office and she asked them to move to another room and they refused would that be different?

Overeating lollies is not just a health issue but also a cosmetic one - sweets make you fat, ruin your skin, make you tired and contribute to diabetes and other assorted health problems. It also may or may not be addictive - but certainly some people have a huge problem saying NO to it.

I wasn't easy admitting I have a problem with sugar. I felt like a child. I was being sincere when I said it. I have also mentioned int the past I have a history of diabetes in my family. Yes, I know sugar isn't the only culprit but it's pretty bad and contributes to an unhealthy lifestyle when abused.

I like your smoking analogy. It comes down to someone has a problem and someone else is consuming said drug / food in front of them. I know some people may think it's extreme but it's the best way to explain how I feel.

The problem with the candy dish being there isn't just resisting it. It's seeing other people eat it in from of my desk and then the wrapper usually gets thrown into my trash barrel, another visual tease.
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I never said I was going to dump it in the trash for goodness sake...I wouldn’t take it to that extreme.
    I did not intend to “hide” it either, just simply move it to the lunch table which is also a public place everyone can access. I tried this before and someone moved it back in front of my desk. I guess I’m in the wrong for considering that childish behavior.

Unless it is a corporate policy to have the candy dish there, if people keep putting it where you don't want it, just keep moving it. Doesn't matter why it keeps getting moved back or who is putting it back there.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    1. You're not ever going to maintain your weight loss if you think it's more reasonable to expect everyone to treat you with kid gloves than for you to learn to control your impulses.

2. The candy dish is not next to the Christmas tree because someone wants you to eat it all and gain back all the weight you lost. It's there because it's Christmas. Christmas and trees and candy ... it's a thing.

3. If you value your job and your professional reputation, keep your personal problems out of the office.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Unless it is a corporate policy to have the candy dish there, if people keep putting it where you don't want it, just keep moving it. Doesn't matter why it keeps getting moved back or who is putting it back there.

Seems like a great way to be labeled the office troublemaker.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who's going to side with the OP. Yes, it's all about willpower, and no, you can't expect the world to rearrange itself to suit your wants ... but personally, I know chocolate/candy is a HUGE trigger food for me. As in, if it's close at hand I can't think about anything else until either I eat some or it goes away. If you don't have that problem, I don't think you understand how unpleasant it is. (The woman who sits next to the printer in my office has a candy dish, and I don't feel like I can say anything about it because it is in her personal space. It's hard.)

I'd keep trying to move it back to the lunch room. If that doesn't work, buy your least favorite kind for the dish and be glad it's only two weeks until the season is over.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1. You're not ever going to maintain your weight loss if you think it's more reasonable to expect everyone to treat you with kid gloves than for you to learn to control your impulses.

2. The candy dish is not next to the Christmas tree because someone wants you to eat it all and gain back all the weight you lost. It's there because it's Christmas. Christmas and trees and candy ... it's a thing.

3. If you value your job and your professional reputation, keep your personal problems out of the office.

Yeah.... well.... I agree.
    I have a problem with sweets too. And the office is FULL of them. I take it as a challenge and feel really proud of myself for not giving in. The world does not stop spinning for us........
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you have two options:

a) Rearrange your intake to enjoy 1-2 pieces of candy.

b) Don't eat it. When you feel the urge, drink a hot tea, take a walk, log it and see how many calories you'll spend on something you don't even really like.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    We have a common area for shared food in our office as well. If it were me, I would definitely move it to the common area.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Troublemaker? Hmm...I'm thinking the troublemaker is the one not in compliance with common practice, whether it's official policy or not. Our company's official policy is to leave it to the departments. It is common to send an email to our department's distribution list to make everyone aware that food has been placed in the common area for sharing.

It's kinda childish to act like candy "belongs" next to the decorations instead of the common place for food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    since candy is such a trigger for everyone then lets just close down all the candy shops, donut shops, etc....then you wont have to worry about being "sabotaged"..
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Troublemaker? Hmm...I'm thinking the troublemaker is the one not in compliance with common practice, whether it's official policy or not. Our company's official policy is to leave it to the departments. It is common to send an email to our department's distribution list to make everyone aware that food has been placed in the common area for sharing.

It's kinda childish to act like candy "belongs" next to the decorations instead of the common place for food.

You can opine on how things 'should' be all you like. Reality is that if you are the one person going against the common trend in the office, and it's something management are choosing to not enforce, you are causing friction. Doesn't matter if it's fair or reasonable.

Management want to have the work done with the minimal stress and friction possible. Petty squabbles over candy bowl position are not going to be greeted well.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Put something healthy, such as clementines, under the tree so you will take that instead of the candy.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    I tried putting fruit in there before last year also (to share) and that also got moved and replaced with candy. I can't believe how some people are reacting to this. I didn't "take anything to management" and we don't have a policy about it. It was a simple conversation between employees. I highly doubt I would be viewed as unprofessional or a troublemaker. I could site another handful of conversations I've had with this same person that were petty and mean-spirited. Like her comment "you can't go to the gym everyday." I think some people highly underestimate how addictive sugar can be. That's all.

I simply wanted advice and I also appreciate the tough love. No one needs to be judgement or rude about such a silly topic.