Death by candy...sabotage ?

Options

Replies

• Fridaklo77
    Options
    We had a cookie exchange yesterday, and I took a bite out of the several cookies and dumped the rest... its all about moderation...
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am completely on your side. Move it! Let someone else put it 2" from their face. Geezzzz. Sorry your co-workers are so unsupportive.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a bowl of candy under a Christmas tree is "trolling it in someone's face"....

It can be incredibly difficult to have something you really enjoy the taste of right in front of you for the taking all day. I don't bring things like that into my house or keep them at my desk at work for that reason. I can walk by them in the grocery store, but I can't forget they'e in my cupboard.

The OP isn't asking there be no candy in the office. She's simply asking to move it to a different communal area where others can enjoy it and she doesn't have to look at it all day and be tempted. I don't understand why anyone has a problem with such a compromise.

the candy is under a tree which I assume is in a "communal " area....

but hey, lets put the tree in the storage room so it, and the candy, wont tempt anyone....good lord...
    The tree is decoration that I assume the OP isn't going to eat. I see no problem with moving a candy dish. She isn't being unreasonable, but this attitude certainly is unreasonable.

what about the other employees that want the candy bowl under the tree????????????????
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a bowl of candy under a Christmas tree is "trolling it in someone's face"....

It can be incredibly difficult to have something you really enjoy the taste of right in front of you for the taking all day. I don't bring things like that into my house or keep them at my desk at work for that reason. I can walk by them in the grocery store, but I can't forget they'e in my cupboard.

The OP isn't asking there be no candy in the office. She's simply asking to move it to a different communal area where others can enjoy it and she doesn't have to look at it all day and be tempted. I don't understand why anyone has a problem with such a compromise.

but hey, lets put the tree in the storage room so it, and the candy, wont tempt anyone....good lord...
    The tree is decoration that I assume the OP isn't going to eat. I see no problem with moving a candy dish. She isn't being unreasonable, but this attitude certainly is unreasonable.

what about the other employees that want the candy bowl under the tree????????????????
    I think they're being passive-aggressive, honestly.

Why does it NEED to be under the tree? They're in offices, not looking at it all day. The OP is not being unreasonable. She's not insisting that her coworker not eat pizza in front of her or not keep candy on his or her own desk. She's simply asking that they don't put such a huge temptation 2 feet from her for eight hours every day.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think they're being passive-aggressive, honestly.

Why does it NEED to be under the tree? They're in offices, not looking at it all day. The OP is not being unreasonable. She's not insisting that her coworker not eat pizza in front of her or not keep candy on his or her own desk. She's simply asking that they don't put such a huge temptation 2 feet from her for eight hours every day.
    maybe because it is Christmas and that is where the other NINE employees wanted to have it ..

So let me get this right...you are saying it is OK for one employee to overrule the other nine because that one employee does not like the communal area that the candy is in? yea, that makes perfect sense...

so the other nine are just a bunch of A-holes and the one is an angel....?
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ndj1979:

We did not poll the office for the record and I highly doubt that any other colleagues would care where it was, as long as they can get to it. This was one person who moved it back one time....

I guess you can't help but be defensive, how sad for you. I congratulated you but you didn't extend the same to me. I lost 20 lbs. It may not seem like a lot to you but it was more than 15% of body weight. I am simply trying to maintain.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    maybe because it is Christmas and that is where the other NINE employees wanted to have it ..

So let me get this right...you are saying it is OK for one employee to overrule the other nine because that one employee does not like the communal area that the candy is in? yea, that makes perfect sense...

so the other nine are just a bunch of A-holes and the one is an angel....?

As has been pointed out, she's the only one who sits right by the tree and candy dish. Everybody else is in a separate office. So yeah, I think her opinion carries a little more weight than that of the nine people who *don't* have to look at it all day. They can just as well get their candy fix in the kitchen, or even keep candy in their offices if they need it that badly.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Move it. Problem solved.

I'll try that again and see how it goes and just continue to move it. It didn't work last yr. but I'll have to wait an see.

I'm a *****. If someone sat it near my desk, I moved it away and it came back, I'd dump the whole thing, dish and all into the nearest garbage can.

well aren't you a gem?

Punish the whole office because you can't control yourself...

Maybe punish the whole office because they aren't respecting her wishes to keep the candy in a different room because she ADMITS she is having a PROBLEM with it.

She's doing her best - her workmates are in the wrong here - this is how I see it.

If she didn't speak up and just threw them away then that is wrong.

If this was people smoking in the office and she asked them to move to another room and they refused would that be different?

Overeating lollies is not just a health issue but also a cosmetic one - sweets make you fat, ruin your skin, make you tired and contribute to diabetes and other assorted health problems. It also may or may not be addictive - but certainly some people have a huge problem saying NO to it.

the workers are in the wrong for putting a candy bowl under a Christmas tree??? Bahahahaha that is hilarious ..

and your smoking analogy is pretty extreme...

its not only extreme, it also makes no sense. terrible analogy.

it would only be comparable if her co workers were FORCING her to eat the candy like them smoking in the office would FORCE her to inhale second hand smoke.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

Well isn't weight loss a first world problem for us all ?? I highly doubt you are on MFP to gain weight. If you are on here to maintain, it's b/c you lost weight. There are people starving in other countries, just saying...
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    How about smoking in front of a co-worker that kicked the habit ? When you had somewhere else to go but couldn't be bothered...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I can see the voice of reason is not welcome here.

Nothing_to_do_here.png
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    It had a printer on it a long time ago. Hmm, that's a thought, to move the table. Once Christmas is over, it's bare. I think I'm make a note to move it in a few months when we are busy so I can avoid this next year :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    There is a box of Krispy Kremes and a container of cookies about 8 feet away from my desk that I don't want any part of, and I could care less that they are there. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else in the office to accommodate me by moving them. It's their space too.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so if I put carrots in the bowl am I sabotaging the people that want candy?
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    Don't they have "their space" in their office ? I don't have that unfortunately. No office walls, no cubicle, just a big open space...
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Options
    so if I put carrots in the bowl am I sabotaging the people that want candy?

I like how you completely ignored my previous question...
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I never said I was going to dump it in the trash for goodness sake...I wouldn’t take it to that extreme.
    I did not intend to “hide” it either, just simply move it to the lunch table which is also a public place everyone can access. I tried this before and someone moved it back in front of my desk. I guess I’m in the wrong for considering that childish behavior.

Unless it is a corporate policy to have the candy dish there, if people keep putting it where you don't want it, just keep moving it. Doesn't matter why it keeps getting moved back or who is putting it back there.

Seems like a great way to be labeled the office troublemaker.

Troublemaker? Hmm...I'm thinking the troublemaker is the one not in compliance with common practice, whether it's official policy or not. Our company's official policy is to leave it to the departments. It is common to send an email to our department's distribution list to make everyone aware that food has been placed in the common area for sharing.

It's kinda childish to act like candy "belongs" next to the decorations instead of the common place for food.

You can opine on how things 'should' be all you like. Reality is that if you are the one person going against the common trend in the office, and it's something management are choosing to not enforce, you are causing friction. Doesn't matter if it's fair or reasonable.

Management want to have the work done with the minimal stress and friction possible. Petty squabbles over candy bowl position are not going to be greeted well.

I didn't say anything about petty squabbles or troublemaking. I simply suggested that if she does not like the candy bowl to be there and there is a common area for food, she can move the candy bowl there. That is what the other person seems to be doing in reverse.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    One "game" I play is to turn things around on the saboteurs...you think I am going to fail, you <bleeper>? I don't THINK so. Make it a point of personal pride to lose at twice the normal rate when they pull this stuff. (Exaggerated for effect and of course this dialogue only goes on in my mind).

Alternately, you could plan on having x number of calories of the candy per day, and keep that portion in your own desk, so you don't have to worry about the main bowl because you already have your own.

Another trick I sometimes use it to remember how nasty most grocery candy is...old, doesn't even meet the requirements to technically be chocolate, filled with nasty chemicals I can taste, etc. I choose to have plenty of treats, but selectively using the snobby card helps me keep the endless crush of junk from overwhelming me.

From what you've described, it may currently be a power play between you and the one other co-worker, so think about how you want to proceed on that front. You don't want to end up looking bad in front of people who might matter so don't go to her level. She thinks you are weak because of your admission and is now taking advantage...prove her wrong!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Don't they have "their space" in their office ? I don't have that unfortunately. No office walls, no cubicle, just a big open space...
    if you do not like your office space then go to management....I am not sure what else you want me to say..

I am sorry that your office is in the public area where there is a Christmas tree and bowl of candy ...where would you like for them to move it? The basement?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

We are in an open concept office. Even if we weren't, I just feel that I am the one who is in control of what I eat, and I wouldn't want them to move it. I think maybe blowing up the issue just makes it worse on you. Why can't you just make up your mind to not eat it? I am not being sarcastic, I just don't get it. I was 382 lbs in January, and I started realizing that everything I do, everything I eat is a choice, and I now choose not to let food drive my feelings and actions any more.