I feel extremely hungry?

Options

Replies

• pianochick5254
    Options
    You need way more protein in your diet. Carbs aren't the devil or anything, but they don't necessarily keep you full and satisfied like protein does.

I don't know what to eat for protein honestly. I don't like to eat soy so much and just 1 tablespoon of black beans is like 40 calories. I know nuts are high in it too and I'm really wanting to stay low-fat. I know there is Quinoa but I'm a penny pincher, I might just suck it up and buy it. Know of anything else that isn't meat, dairy, or eggs?

Wait, hold on. Why no meat, dairy or eggs? You had Arby's the other day with bacon and cheese??????

the switch has not been very easy for me sadly
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I can only comment on personal experience. I eat more when:

1. I don't exercise that day
    2. I don't eat enough fats
    3. I don't eat enough for breakfast
    4. I binge on sugar/carbs
    5. (this is a biggie) I'M BORED!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I think I see the problem ... Your PB&J has 10 grams of fat. Not even counting the bread, this means there's a little over 1Tb of peanut butter in your sandwich - likely less.

You're not using enough peanut butter.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Plus I know dinner tonight is going to be extremely high cal so I don't want to eat too many right now. I don't really have the option on dinner tonight, in-laws.
    Don't let anybody, including in-laws, tell you what portion sizes to eat (i.e. high calorie foods + small portions=reasonable calorie meal).

Caveat: If you have an eating disorder, let a trained medical practitioner guide your portion sizes.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    As far as I can see you aren't really eating much
    Smoothie for breakfast, soup for lunch e.t.c.

Try eating toast in the mornings, toast with honey or jam has far less calories than a smoothie and you'll feel like you've eaten something.
    Drink plenty of water, or low cal diluting juice along with the toast and throughout the day.
    Your food choices tend to be high calorie food with not much substance, try eating a higher quantity of food with less calories, you'll learn in time what has high calories and low calories.

Whilst fruit juices and smoothies may be nice, try having them as a treat, by drinking your calories it doesn't leave much room in your diet for food, (the reason I stopped drinking so much coke).

Hope that helps.

I never drink fruit juice, its WAY too sweet for my liking. Literally all that was in it was fruits and water (1/4 cantaloupe, cup of blueberries, and 3 bananas). My salad had a whole tomato, 1/4 green pepper, 2 big handfuls of spinach and lettuce both, a whole carrot, and only like 1 Tbsp of dressing. Should I just eat the fruits for breakfast? I always blended them because I hate drinking water and I can throw like 2 glassfuls in there.
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    it always surprises me how people are so rude on the internet. anyway, I used to have a lot of fruit shakes and it didn't work for me at all,. Maybe there were a lot of vitamins in it but it didn't keep me full. Since switching to a protein powder and almond milk (and pb2), I have found more success. They have vegan protein powder on amazon, good luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You need way more protein in your diet. Carbs aren't the devil or anything, but they don't necessarily keep you full and satisfied like protein does.

I don't know what to eat for protein honestly. I don't like to eat soy so much and just 1 tablespoon of black beans is like 40 calories. I know nuts are high in it too and I'm really wanting to stay low-fat. I know there is Quinoa but I'm a penny pincher, I might just suck it up and buy it. Know of anything else that isn't meat, dairy, or eggs?

Wait, hold on. Why no meat, dairy or eggs? You had Arby's the other day with bacon and cheese??????

Your profile says:

" have done just about everything under the sun in my quest for eternal slimness; weightwatchers, 80/10/10, Atkins, The Zone, South Beach...."

And you are only 21. You tried all those things and they didn't work or more likely you didn't stick with them, and now you are trying being Vegan but again are having adherence problems....

THIS is why people adopt a "moderation"/ macros approach. Ultra restrictive diets ARE hard. They are difficult to balance, to maintain, etc. If you out running errands you can't just stop at Arbys, or whatever. I suggest you give up the fads. Count your calories. Try to hit your protein and fat macos, and try to eat healthy most of the time. Don't obsess over Vegan, over processed, or whatever. Just eat healthy most of the time and stay under goal.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Plus I know dinner tonight is going to be extremely high cal so I don't want to eat too many right now. I don't really have the option on dinner tonight, in-laws.
    Don't let anybody, including in-laws, tell you what portion sizes to eat (i.e. high calorie foods + small portions=reasonable calorie meal).

Caveat: If you have an eating disorder, let a trained medical practitioner guide your portion sizes.

Yeah. This. Tonight, I am compelled to go to the Olive Garden (tough to find so-called 'good' meals) for a family birthday get together .. So a little research reveals that the Lunch Portion of Linguine Marinara is 310 calories ... you can get through any food situation with a little bit of prep work and some resolve ...
  • pianochick5254
    Options

I suggest you join a vegan group on here for suggestions. They have better knowledge at this sort of thing.

I hadn't taken the time to look around the site at anything but thanks for suggesting it, I totally did!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    it always surprises me how people are so rude on the internet. anyway, I used to have a lot of fruit shakes and it didn't work for me at all,. Maybe there were a lot of vitamins in it but it didn't keep me full. Since switching to a protein powder and almond milk (and pb2), I have found more success. They have vegan protein powder on amazon, good luck!

You may not know the history, my dear.
  • Shari350z
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're eating enough. I would try eating something more substantial for breakfast. Personally, the only thing that keeps me satisfied for a long period of time is egg. One egg will satisfy me longer than two bowls of cereal. Also, try adding more protein to your day. Maybe some lean chicken? Good luck, it's not motivating when you're hungry all the time.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, what was your motivation for trying to go vegan if I may ask?

Hope you find the support you need in the vegan group!
  • mommyelly85
    Options
    You should probably invest in a good protein supplement to throw in your smoothies, oatmeal, etc. There are many vegan forms of protein hemp is great. Also, check into Garden of Life's Raw Meal. My sis drinks it and she says its great!
  • Chris_58
    Options
    Eating the fruit would be a good option rather than drinking it.
    I too don't like drinking water but I now drink lots of non sugar diluting juice, only 4 calories per cup so I don't even bother counting it.

For extra protein I usually take a supplement everyday (Whey) but there is Soy Protein powder you can buy and if you get one with a decent flavour you can even mix it with water (saving you calories from milk/almond milk etc).
  • pianochick5254
    Options

Your profile says:

" have done just about everything under the sun in my quest for eternal slimness; weightwatchers, 80/10/10, Atkins, The Zone, South Beach...."

And you are only 21. You tried all those things and they didn't work or more likely you didn't stick with them, and now you are trying being Vegan but again are having adherence problems....

THIS is why people adopt a "moderation"/ macros approach. Ultra restrictive diets ARE hard. They are difficult to balance, to maintain, etc. If you out running errands you can't just stop at Arbys, or whatever. I suggest you give up the fads. Count your calories. Try to hit your protein and fat macos, and try to eat healthy most of the time. Don't obsess over Vegan, over processed, or whatever. Just eat healthy most of the time and stay under goal.

The reason I'm vegan is because I was vegan a little before and the whole time I was pregnant and I felt so incredible. In all fairness I was vegan on weight watcher and 80/10/10 and no I didn't stick to the Atkins or Zone diets because I felt too guilty eating meat. It's more an ethical thing for me and that's why I didn't stick to them. I guess it sounded more like I didn't lose weight on them, I will probably go back and reword it. I want to be vegan again very badly and so I'm going to keep trying at it. I am going to give up on the "fads" though, that's why I've come back to good old calorie counting.
  • pianochick5254
    Options

I'm very big on documentaries and I had watched Food Inc. and Earthlings, and then I started checking out the PETA videos and then I read Food Revolution (which introduced me to the environmental side of it) and that got me hooked pretty much. I care a lot about the environment and I've always been an animal lover. There are a few things I do make exceptions for and that is farmers market eggs, and if someone else bought it and cooked it just for me. I am more upset about the way the animals are treated more than the fact of eating them. If I found a farmer that did a straight bullet to the head on the cow, I would probably eat it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just eat something? Your diary says you have over 900 calories for the rest of the day.

My stomach isn't hurting so I'm assuming I'm not actually hungry, its cravings. and I want to stop having those because I'm extremely binge prone. Plus I know dinner tonight is going to be extremely high cal so I don't want to eat too many right now. I don't really have the option on dinner tonight, in-laws.
    You equate hunger with your stomach actually hurting? Fascinating.

That's just what I have always been told..?

Unfortunately you were told wrong.

Well were you planning on being helpful and explaining the difference then? I have always thought hunger was pain and cravings was everything else. I'm sorry but the way you are coming off to me is that you are above this ridiculous question or something and I really don't appreciate it if that's the case.

I felt my answer was adequate and had you asked me nicely I would have elaborated. But I do not appreciate the rude manner in which you addressed me, so I will just wish you the best of luck finding the answer.
    If I ask you nicely, will you tell me?

OT: I have nothing more to add than what's been said.
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    My biggest suggestion would be, don't try so hard to go low-fat. Low-fat is usually pumped full of chemicals which are absolutely unhealthy, and unsaturated fats are actually highly necessary to your daily diet. Just make sure that you're not eating stuff full of saturated or trans fats. If you're eating unsaturated fats in moderation, they're good for you and will help keep you more full.

I have a protein smoothie for breakfast every day, and it definitely works for me (although I recognize it doesn't for everyone). I use a cup of rice milk, a cup and a quarter of frozen strawberries, and a scoop of protein powder. 325-ish calories and it lasts me until lunch. That might be something you could use as a snack instead of breakfast, to help you last between meals.

Good luck, I hope you find a balance that works for you and also meets your preferred dietary restrictions.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

I'm very big on documentaries and I had watched Food Inc. and Earthlings, and then I started checking out the PETA videos and then I read Food Revolution (which introduced me to the environmental side of it) and that got me hooked pretty much. I care a lot about the environment and I've always been an animal lover. There are a few things I do make exceptions for and that is farmers market eggs, and if someone else bought it and cooked it just for me. I am more upset about the way the animals are treated more than the fact of eating them. If I found a farmer that did a straight bullet to the head on the cow, I would probably eat it.

So watching a documentary about a one sided extreme what made you decide?

I'm not knocking a vegan lifestyle. I have a friend who is vegan and she has a bangin body! However, she became very educated about the lifestyle before deciding it was going to be one she was sticking to. You say you have tried all the fad diets, but unless you are 100% comitted and can get nutrition from this lifestyle then you are fad dieting. This is a lifestyle and not an easy one at that. Until you can get past the hunger and the lack of nutrition in your diet, you should perhaps learn from other vegans and slowly ease into this.

I should also add, that you should probably look at both sides of an argument before making a choice that could mean changing your habits and lifestyle.