I feel extremely hungry?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you had read what I wrote above you would know that I was vegan for over a year before, I am just now going back to it. When I was vegan before I was also pregnant in that time and a nutritionist was on staff to help me. I have been around the block on this, I have just never counted calories on it. I know the lifestyle, I never stopped following the actual lifestyle, it's the food that I'm having issues with. When I was vegan before I didn't have to count how many tomatoes went into my salad or make sure that I didn't eat too many lentils. It is a little harder for me this go around. I have looked at both sides, and I've made my choice. I told her the reason I went vegan. That doesn't mean that it is the only reading up or knowledge I have acquired since making that change.

Some on us are legitimately trying to help you. You don't need to be rude.

It's probable that you were not getting enough protein or fat the last time you tried to eat vegan as well. You were making up for the missing protein by eating extra calories worth of carbs.

If you are worried about calories, honestly don't eat so much fruit. 400 calories worth of fruit is almost amazing. 3 bananas in one smoothie? Drop to one banana and add some spinach (has protein) or something. You also need to research how to get complete proteins from plant sources, things like combining beans and rice, etc. A lot of people have chicken these days. I bet you could find a source of local eggs from humanly cared for chicken.

I wasn't meaning for it come off as rude, I was just meaning that I am not just anyone watching a simple PETA video and then trying to eat vegan. In all honesty I thought she sounded a little condescending. On your comment however, I do add spinach to my smoothies usually and I may be wrong on this but I'm almost certain that the combining proteins thing had been debunked. Like I said, I could be wrong. I could find then but I'm really wanting to not eat it at all or extremely rarely.

I thought fruit was healthy since the sugar in it is natural?

Fruit is healthy but 400 calories is 400 calories. Weight loss comes from burning more calories than you consume. If you consume more than you burn, even if it is fruit, you won't lose.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    As far as I can see you aren't really eating much
    Smoothie for breakfast, soup for lunch e.t.c.

Try eating toast in the mornings, toast with honey or jam has far less calories than a smoothie and you'll feel like you've eaten something.
    Drink plenty of water, or low cal diluting juice along with the toast and throughout the day.
    Your food choices tend to be high calorie food with not much substance, try eating a higher quantity of food with less calories, you'll learn in time what has high calories and low calories.

Whilst fruit juices and smoothies may be nice, try having them as a treat, by drinking your calories it doesn't leave much room in your diet for food, (the reason I stopped drinking so much coke).

Hope that helps.

I never drink fruit juice, its WAY too sweet for my liking. Literally all that was in it was fruits and water (1/4 cantaloupe, cup of blueberries, and 3 bananas). My salad had a whole tomato, 1/4 green pepper, 2 big handfuls of spinach and lettuce both, a whole carrot, and only like 1 Tbsp of dressing. Should I just eat the fruits for breakfast? I always blended them because I hate drinking water and I can throw like 2 glassfuls in there.

3 BANANAS! Why!? A banana a day might be ok, but 3!? I make a spinach green smoothie with half a banana. You just said you don't like gruit juice cuz it's two sweet, but 3 bananas is a TON of sugar....I was wondering how the heck a smoothie could be so high in calories. If you really like smoothies, try this recipe

1 banana
    handful of spinach
    3/4 c frozen fruit of your choice
    45 cal scoop whey protein
    tbsp peanutbutter.
    5-6 ice cubes

BLEND!

I love this for a breakfast on the go. It uses ONE banana and is plenty sweet expecially when I also add strawberries to it. And it's less than 300 calories.with protein

I eat sugar in the morning to replace the caffeine. I haven't had it in a long while and I don't want to go back to it again, plus coffee really isn't as good as bananas lol. If the smoothie is so low in calories how does it fill you up for breakfast? I usually don't have an issue with fullness after breakfast considering I drink a whole blender full after I add in the water (its like 4-5 cups) and it lasts me usually till after 1 or 2 if I drink it around 8 or 9. It was just today that was the issue.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just eat something? Your diary says you have over 900 calories for the rest of the day.

My stomach isn't hurting so I'm assuming I'm not actually hungry, its cravings. and I want to stop having those because I'm extremely binge prone. Plus I know dinner tonight is going to be extremely high cal so I don't want to eat too many right now. I don't really have the option on dinner tonight, in-laws.
    You equate hunger with your stomach actually hurting? Fascinating.

That's just what I have always been told..?

Unfortunately you were told wrong.

Well were you planning on being helpful and explaining the difference then? I have always thought hunger was pain and cravings was everything else. I'm sorry but the way you are coming off to me is that you are above this ridiculous question or something and I really don't appreciate it if that's the case.

I felt my answer was adequate and had you asked me nicely I would have elaborated. But I do not appreciate the rude manner in which you addressed me, so I will just wish you the best of luck finding the answer.
    If I ask you nicely, will you tell me?

OT: I have nothing more to add than what's been said.

Probably not. I see you around enough to assume you have a decent grasp of nutrition, so I'd figure that you're being facetious. :)
    What if I gave you a cookie?

I'm serious because I've thought/read that stomach pains meant hunger. If there's another reason, I'm willing to hear it out.

You would be a hero in my eyes foe that cookie. :heart:

Oh! Well yes the pain means you're hungry, but when it gets to that point you probably should have eaten already. There are times that if I waited until I had pain, I'd consume less than 1k calories per day.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It may be difficult going whole food and vegan if there is a lack of protein in your diet.

Still there a recipes to make vegan cheese and meat substitutes (with healthy amounts of protein) at home that don't involve processed soy.

I would suggest adding almond milk at least to your diet since most of the recipes call for it.
  • wheird
    Options

Try eating toast in the mornings, toast with honey or jam has far less calories than a smoothie and you'll feel like you've eaten something.
    Drink plenty of water, or low cal diluting juice along with the toast and throughout the day.
    Your food choices tend to be high calorie food with not much substance, try eating a higher quantity of food with less calories, you'll learn in time what has high calories and low calories.

Whilst fruit juices and smoothies may be nice, try having them as a treat, by drinking your calories it doesn't leave much room in your diet for food, (the reason I stopped drinking so much coke).

Hope that helps.

I never drink fruit juice, its WAY too sweet for my liking. Literally all that was in it was fruits and water (1/4 cantaloupe, cup of blueberries, and 3 bananas). My salad had a whole tomato, 1/4 green pepper, 2 big handfuls of spinach and lettuce both, a whole carrot, and only like 1 Tbsp of dressing. Should I just eat the fruits for breakfast? I always blended them because I hate drinking water and I can throw like 2 glassfuls in there.

3 BANANAS! Why!? A banana a day might be ok, but 3!? I make a spinach green smoothie with half a banana. You just said you don't like gruit juice cuz it's two sweet, but 3 bananas is a TON of sugar....I was wondering how the heck a smoothie could be so high in calories. If you really like smoothies, try this recipe

1 banana
    handful of spinach
    tbsp peanutbutter.
    5-6 ice cubes

BLEND!

I love this for a breakfast on the go. It uses ONE banana and is plenty sweet expecially when I also add strawberries to it. And it's less than 300 calories.with protein

I eat sugar in the morning to replace the caffeine. I haven't had it in a long while and I don't want to go back to it again, plus coffee really isn't as good as bananas lol. If the smoothie is so low in calories how does it fill you up for breakfast? I usually don't have an issue with fullness after breakfast considering I drink a whole blender full after I add in the water (its like 4-5 cups) and it lasts me usually till after 1 or 2 if I drink it around 8 or 9. It was just today that was the issue.

The protein and fiber would generally keep you fuller for longer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Hope that helps.

1 banana
    handful of spinach
    tbsp peanutbutter.
    5-6 ice cubes

BLEND!

What's more filling, 200 calories of chicken breast or 201 calories of pop?

Nice question :)
  • wheird
    Options
    It may be difficult going whole food and vegan if there is a lack of protein in your diet.

Still there a recipes to make vegan cheese and meat substitutes (with healthy amounts of protein) at home that don't involve processed soy.

I would suggest adding almond milk at least to your diet since most of the recipes call for it.

Almond milk is also processed, so likely wouldn't fit her criteria. Cheese and meat subs as well.

Per gram, I'm pretty sure spinach and mushrooms are your best bet. You can sautee a pound of spinach down to a fraction of it's raw size too!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I'd say protein and also are you drinking your water? You also need to incorporate more veggies, less fruit. The veggies are more filling and actually have more fiber. The fruit is good but a balance between fruits and veggies is better especially to make you feel full longer.

I asked about water because I don't get hunger pangs unless I'm thirsty. I tend to keep to a schedule for my food so I'm no longer sure what my hunger pangs are. I do know that my cravings and what most would think are hunger pangs are due to thirst, or something missing from my diet, such as a vitamin or a mineral that my body is trying to get me to have.

I also agree, try to actually eat (chew) your food. Smoothies are great for something fast but without protein in them, you've got maybe an hour (two hours if you're lucky) before you're hungry. Even with protein because you didn't give your body the "food" signal by chewing, you could be hungry fairly soon after.

If I'm having a tough morning, then I will usually have my PB&J in the morning, actually I should call it a PB&F (fruit) because I usually top the slice of bread with peanut butter and half a banana or some strawberries. I finish up my serving of fruit (the other half of the banana or the rest of the cup of fresh strawberries) with my breakfast meal. I also try to keep lowfat yogurt (usually a greek yogurt) available and add fresh fruit to that. It's quick grab and go ideas like that for breakfast for me.

Just some ideas for changing it up. Take the calorie hit if you truly believe you're hungry (drink a glass or two of water first) and have some celery with peanut butter, or if you have hummus, then some of that with some veggies. If not, you should have some cheese and hopefully an apple or apple slices. Going with my suggestion won't add many calories and will keep you comfortable until dinner.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It seems like your hinging on some weird weight loss fallacies. You are eating very little, you think that hunger equals pain, and you think sugar will "energize" you like caffeine used too.

There isn't any real evidence that lots of sugar will energize you. There IS lots of evidence that fiber and protein and fat help with feeling full and satiety, and hunger shouldn't equal PAIN. There is a thing called a hunger "PANG" which is that growly feeling you get when you are hungry. But if your stomach HURTS, then something isn't right with your eating behaviors.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're going to add, you need more protein and less sugar for breakfast. My breakdown is roughly 25 g carbs, 15 grams fat, and 30 grams protein for breakfast which makes it around the same calories as yours, but it goes a lot further. Don't have any specifics for you because I am not vegan. Fats are not the devil though as long as they come from healthy sources. I make an amazing pear salmon salad, but it wouldn't work for you because of the meat. Also has feta cheese. Figure out what your protein source is going to be, and use that. I mean, it's hella processed, but you might get some vegan protein powder, egg replacement powder, and use the equivalent of one scoop of protein powder, two eggs, some almond milk for reconstituting the "eggs", and mix all of that up in a blender to make a batter. Then cook it up like pancakes. I make pancakes with my protein powder all the time and it's really filling.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Oh! You can also make your own seitan if you're into that. It's really fun and easy, but messy. I have a TDF recipe that mimics Ruby Tuesday's white chicken chili and it's totally vegan. Love it. LMK if you're interested.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    Oh! You can also make your own seitan if you're into that. It's really fun and easy, but messy. I have a TDF recipe that mimics Ruby Tuesday's white chicken chili and it's totally vegan. Love it. LMK if you're interested.

lol I don't know what LMK is but I am very interested in that recipe
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    Screw it, I'm doing it your guys way. I ate BK French fries. It's easier and I will worry about my intense fear of disease later.
  • shannaniggans
    Options
    Add some protein to your morning smoothie and have a protein shake in the afternoon. I buy vegan protein (made from rice or peas) even though i'm not vegan, and have a shake in the afternoon mixed with water. That will help increase your protein intake, which from your diary is way too long and help you feel full between meals. I also buy raw cacao powder and add a teaspoon of that to make it more chocolately to stop me having afternoon cravings.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Screw it, I'm doing it your guys way. I ate BK French fries. It's easier and I will worry about my intense fear of disease later.

But our recommendation was protein.. not carbs... And french fries don't cause disease, lol
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    OP, what was your motivation for trying to go vegan if I may ask?

Hope you find the support you need in the vegan group!

I'm very big on documentaries and I had watched Food Inc. and Earthlings, and then I started checking out the PETA videos and then I read Food Revolution (which introduced me to the environmental side of it) and that got me hooked pretty much. I care a lot about the environment and I've always been an animal lover. There are a few things I do make exceptions for and that is farmers market eggs, and if someone else bought it and cooked it just for me. I am more upset about the way the animals are treated more than the fact of eating them. If I found a farmer that did a straight bullet to the head on the cow, I would probably eat it.

So watching a documentary about a one sided extreme what made you decide?

I'm not knocking a vegan lifestyle. I have a friend who is vegan and she has a bangin body! However, she became very educated about the lifestyle before deciding it was going to be one she was sticking to. You say you have tried all the fad diets, but unless you are 100% comitted and can get nutrition from this lifestyle then you are fad dieting. This is a lifestyle and not an easy one at that. Until you can get past the hunger and the lack of nutrition in your diet, you should perhaps learn from other vegans and slowly ease into this.

I should also add, that you should probably look at both sides of an argument before making a choice that could mean changing your habits and lifestyle.

If you had read what I wrote above you would know that I was vegan for over a year before, I am just now going back to it. When I was vegan before I was also pregnant in that time and a nutritionist was on staff to help me. I have been around the block on this, I have just never counted calories on it. I know the lifestyle, I never stopped following the actual lifestyle, it's the food that I'm having issues with. When I was vegan before I didn't have to count how many tomatoes went into my salad or make sure that I didn't eat too many lentils. It is a little harder for me this go around. I have looked at both sides, and I've made my choice. I told her the reason I went vegan. That doesn't mean that it is the only reading up or knowledge I have acquired since making that change.

During your time with the nutritionist and your independent reading you didn't find a list of high protein vegan food? Spinach, white button mushrooms, seitan, etc?

no because when I was doing it before I was relying on protein sources like soy milk, tofu, vegan cheese, etc etc. basically just vegan supplement type foods and this time around I'm trying to do whole foods while also counting calories. It's not as easy as you'd think.

I didn't say it was easy....I said that you need to make sure you have a very clear understanding of what this entails. It sounds like you are taking on too much too quickly. Even for someone who isn't vegan has a tough time with counting calories. It's a very long process. However, you are trying to go all vegan, eat whole foods, stay within a budget, and get all of the protein you need to not be hungry. Why can't you take the protein sources you were relying on while pregnant and just scale them back to fit within your calorie range?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, what was your motivation for trying to go vegan if I may ask?

Hope you find the support you need in the vegan group!

I'm very big on documentaries and I had watched Food Inc. and Earthlings, and then I started checking out the PETA videos and then I read Food Revolution (which introduced me to the environmental side of it) and that got me hooked pretty much. I care a lot about the environment and I've always been an animal lover. There are a few things I do make exceptions for and that is farmers market eggs, and if someone else bought it and cooked it just for me. I am more upset about the way the animals are treated more than the fact of eating them. If I found a farmer that did a straight bullet to the head on the cow, I would probably eat it.

The PETA videos are staged (for your peace of mine). But at any rate, fair enough. I always respect ethical choices.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

But our recommendation was protein.. not carbs... And french fries don't cause disease, lol

I think this quote is appropriate for this thread:

"Unfortunately, research-based refutation of fear mongering tends to be ineffective as those who are most prone to succumbing to such in the first place are also the least likely to apply critical thinking." - Wonderpug from bb.com via Sidesteel