Do you allow yourself a treat everyday or less than that?

Options

Replies

• tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I joined this myfitnesspal site today while brosing the web for some information. I have been on a diet now for 5 months and I have lost 80 Lbs. so far. I still plan to lose another 75 Lbs.

I have wrote my own diet plan and turning it into a book. You have to be serious about dieting or you will not succeed. Here is an excerpt from my book pertaining to snacks. You have to take dieting seriously, otherwise you will drift away from your dieting plan and you will not lose weight. , I wrote this excerpt from my book, for some Italian friends in New York. The message here is that a dieting must be done seriously, if you expect to lose weight. You cannot give in to yourself or anyone else for snacks or treats. There is no drifting off the diet for snacks and treats. See below.

Snacks? Forget about it. Wakeup, smell the coffee pal. Snacks? Are you crazy? Forget about it.

Let’s get serious pal, snack food? Don’t even think about it, capisce? You're here for a reason pal, you’re fat, you’re a walkin’ heart attack here. Have you looked in the mirror? You look like a rhino. Snacks? Get-out-a-here. You can’t live like this, it’s enough already. Oobatz! Forget the tiramisu, forget the cannolies, no cheesecake, no trifle, forget the pies and the ice creams. You gots to stick with the food in this diet, and while you’re on this diet, don’tchu ever, and I mean ever, eat anything that’s not on this diet. That means no proshut, no gabagool, and don’t be thinkin’ about some other food, more than your goomah? You mean, something, to her pal. What’s-sat guy say, that kid from Alabama? That uh, Forest kid, yeah, Forrest Gump, that Alabama kid. He said; “Life is like a box of chocolates”, and that’s right pal, but it don’t last long for fat people. You hear what I’m saying? You’re out-a-shape pal; you gots yourself a real health problem here withes the weight, pal.

Your life ain’t no look-a-like contest, you aint at the Bronx Zoo my friend, and you ain’t no, human hippo. You gots to ditch the weight, capisce? So, for snacks my friend, forget about it. You’re on a diet pal, and it aint no party with piña colada‎'s, and cake. You want to snack, you wanna nibble, huh pal? Then, you godda do this right. If you godda nibble, then you nibble on this stuff, pal.

Jolly Time Gluten Free Air Popped popcorn, dry, 1 cup = 20 calories and 0 calories from fat
    Cold baby carrots, limit to 8 pieces a day
    Celery stalk, plain, limit to 2 a day
    Strawberries, limited to no more than 6 a day.
    Cantaloupe chunks 1-inch square, limit to 6 pieces a day.
    Prunes, limit to 2 prunes a day.
    Green Grapes, limit to 6 a day.

Now look pal, this list don’t mean for yous to makes yourself a tossed vegetable and fruit salad. You can have some of the items shown on this list as you might feel an urge to nibble, but look pal, not all the items on the list served up in some big mixing bowl like you’re feeding some zoo animal, and certainly, not all these items at one time, capisce?

Look pal, your goomah, that beautiful little girl, she sees something in you pal, and yous gots to lose the weight, do it for her, OK pal, capisce? For a guy your size, yous stick to this diet for six-months, and ring-a-ding-ding, you’ll be down to your weight pal. Now, if anybody and I mean anybody, asks you who told you that you's gots to be on a diet? You tell them, Fat Sammy put you on this diet, capisce? If some schlemiel has something to say about yous being on a diet, you tell the clown, to come see me, yous tell the shmuck to come see Fat Sammy, OK pal?

When you have reached your target weight, don’t think that you can go back to the lifestyle you had been living, stuffing your face with everything from fast food burgers and pizza, to ice cream and cake. Those days are over pal. When you have reached your target weight, you’re going to adjust your diet with low calorie foods and meals, and you’re going to mix these into your everyday routine to balance your diet and stay at your target weight. Capisce?
    Infinitely slappable.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I joined this myfitnesspal site today while brosing the web for some information. I have been on a diet now for 5 months and I have lost 80 Lbs. so far. I still plan to lose another 75 Lbs.

I have wrote my own diet plan and turning it into a book....
    .....snipped random rant against pizza, ice cream and hamburgers....

I think you'll find there are a great many very successful people on this site that would scoff at this. I'm one of them.
    Yes, I am one of them too. Dieting does not have to be miserable. I have ice cream every day, plus fast food, pizza, burgers and I've lost 125lbs in 16 months. I just make sure I meet my calorie, protein, fat and fiber goals and I will be healthy and lose weight.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    For all you moderation preachers..............having a treat everyday is not moderation.
    Wow!
    What a sad post.

I think I cried in ma ice cream a bit.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I have wrote my own diet plan and turning it into a book. You have to be serious about dieting or you will not succeed. Here is an excerpt from my book pertaining to snacks. You have to take dieting seriously, otherwise you will drift away from your dieting plan and you will not lose weight. , I wrote this excerpt from my book, for some Italian friends in New York. The message here is that a dieting must be done seriously, if you expect to lose weight. You cannot give in to yourself or anyone else for snacks or treats. There is no drifting off the diet for snacks and treats. See below.

Snacks? Forget about it. Wakeup, smell the coffee pal. Snacks? Are you crazy? Forget about it.

Let’s get serious pal, snack food? Don’t even think about it, capisce? You're here for a reason pal, you’re fat, you’re a walkin’ heart attack here. Have you looked in the mirror? You look like a rhino. Snacks? Get-out-a-here. You can’t live like this, it’s enough already. Oobatz! Forget the tiramisu, forget the cannolies, no cheesecake, no trifle, forget the pies and the ice creams. You gots to stick with the food in this diet, and while you’re on this diet, don’tchu ever, and I mean ever, eat anything that’s not on this diet. That means no proshut, no gabagool, and don’t be thinkin’ about some other food, more than your goomah? You mean, something, to her pal. What’s-sat guy say, that kid from Alabama? That uh, Forest kid, yeah, Forrest Gump, that Alabama kid. He said; “Life is like a box of chocolates”, and that’s right pal, but it don’t last long for fat people. You hear what I’m saying? You’re out-a-shape pal; you gots yourself a real health problem here withes the weight, pal.

Your life ain’t no look-a-like contest, you aint at the Bronx Zoo my friend, and you ain’t no, human hippo. You gots to ditch the weight, capisce? So, for snacks my friend, forget about it. You’re on a diet pal, and it aint no party with piña colada‎'s, and cake. You want to snack, you wanna nibble, huh pal? Then, you godda do this right. If you godda nibble, then you nibble on this stuff, pal.

Jolly Time Gluten Free Air Popped popcorn, dry, 1 cup = 20 calories and 0 calories from fat

Now look pal, this list don’t mean for yous to makes yourself a tossed vegetable and fruit salad. You can have some of the items shown on this list as you might feel an urge to nibble, but look pal, not all the items on the list served up in some big mixing bowl like you’re feeding some zoo animal, and certainly, not all these items at one time, capisce?

Look pal, your goomah, that beautiful little girl, she sees something in you pal, and yous gots to lose the weight, do it for her, OK pal, capisce? For a guy your size, yous stick to this diet for six-months, and ring-a-ding-ding, you’ll be down to your weight pal. Now, if anybody and I mean anybody, asks you who told you that you's gots to be on a diet? You tell them, Fat Sammy put you on this diet, capisce? If some schlemiel has something to say about yous being on a diet, you tell the clown, to come see me, yous tell the shmuck to come see Fat Sammy, OK pal?

When you have reached your target weight, don’t think that you can go back to the lifestyle you had been living, stuffing your face with everything from fast food burgers and pizza, to ice cream and cake. Those days are over pal. When you have reached your target weight, you’re going to adjust your diet with low calorie foods and meals, and you’re going to mix these into your everyday routine to balance your diet and stay at your target weight. Capisce?

Sounds horrible...

ETA: terrible and dreadful
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options

To the goombah who wrote this a few thing 1) this isnt sustainable for the rest of your life...2) its poorly written and tons of mis-spells, shame on you..and 3) sup with all the Italian stereotypes??
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wtf pal. Is this real life?... pal
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat a "treat" once a day, I'd be standing in a heap of corpses. Treats keep me sane and the people around me alive. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I have wrote my own diet plan and turning it into a book.

Hey! There is someone on here you are really going to want to meet. He almost wrote a book too (to hear him talk about it).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself a treat whenever I want one, providing it fits my calories for the day, and sometimes when it doesn't.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For all you moderation preachers..............having a treat everyday is not moderation.

and self denial and making any food "bad" is not moderation!
    do you whip yourself while you're suffering so sanctimoniously?

edited for the proper you're, your deal! dang why doesn't someone invent a grammar check!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Repeating this just for you "pal":

do you whip yourself while your suffering so sanctimoniously?
    And don't you have spell check?! that's what those little, squiggly, red lines under certain words mean!
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Totally just referring to myself, to answer the original question. If treat means something over and above what I eat to reach my weight
    loss goals. I would say no. However if I am craving something I might factor it into my day.
    Personally I stay away from sugar - empty food cause it never seems enough no matter how much, but that is just me.
    A book I read suggested "High sacrifice foods" (desired treats) are almost necessary to continue a lifestyle change forever. He says eat them early in the day before you are really hungry - like morning tea, rather than try and control something when you are already really hungry.
    I crave fried food more than sugar.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Repeating this just for you "pal":

do you whip yourself while your suffering so sanctimoniously?
    And don't you have spell check?! that's what those little, squiggly, red lines under certain words mean!

I'm thinking we've been hit by mafia troll.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    whenever I want a treat I have one in moderation.
  • sammorris73113528
    Options
    I appreciate all the reply's, I really do. I am 65 and I actually could have used some motivating words years ago, to get started dieting and lose some serious weight. I had been in a car accident when I was young and was paralyzed from the chest down. I was told I would not walk again After a week laying in a hospital bed staring at the ceiling, I asked myself "Is this the way you want to spend the rest of your life?"

I began remembering people I had met who had overcome some difficult disabilities. As I thought of these people, I begin do build my self confidence, stronger and stronger. I reached to the sides of the mattress and grasp the edges tightly. I pulled and raised myself to a upright sitting position. I then reached and used my hands to push my legs one at a time over the side of the bed. I made my hands into fists and pushed against the mattress moving myself to the edge of the bed. I slowly eased off the bed into a standing position. I then began moving my legs and feet about a half inch at a time, sliding alone the floor to the end of the bed. It must have taken twenty minutes to go four feet.

To make a long story short, I had two broken vertebrates and the pain was the worst I have ever experienced. Nevertheless, I walked out of the hospital and took a cab. This happened in Illinois in 1967. I took a bus from Illinois to Kansas where I went back in a hospital for six-weeks and was fitted with a body cast. After six-weeks the removed the cast and I wore an aluminum brace for 18-months. I was back to work 3-days after leaving the hospital with a doctors release.

I was a highly productive worker throughout my career. It seemed that I had something to prove to myself and I had to be the best at my work. In 1978 I became an engineer. In 1980, I went to New York and designed the first fiber optic project for New York Telephone Company in White Plains, New York. By October 1984, I had completed 27 fiber optic projects in New York and those projects represented more than 40-percent of all the working fiber optics at the time.

I was sent to BellCORE (Bell Communications Research) which was formerly Bell Laboratories prior to the divestiture of AT&T. There I taught fiber optic engineering to engineers from the other Regional Bell Operating Companies. They said; "there was no sense in them reinventing the wheel, tell them what I was doing in New York and show them how I was doing it."

Slowly I was gaining weight, about 9 pounds a year. I am retired now and I went to my doctor and I weighed 296 pounds, a far cry from the 151 pounds I had weighed for most of my life. So, I wrote my own diet plan and I have been on my diet plan for about 6-months. I have lost 80 pounds so far and I am continuing as I want to lose another 70 to 75 pounds.

My doctor is amazed at the success of my weight loss and he is very supportive. I have Congestive Heart Failure and I have been doing fine with my medications. I don't get much activity. As for exercise, it has been discouraged in the past, but as I am losing weight my doctor has agreed to mild activity, because of my heart condition.

I am pleased at the reply's by all of you. I have some friends in New York who need motivation, I wished I had had some years ago. Nevertheless, I am determined as I was when I was told I would never walk again. I will lose this weight and then we will see how that heart condition looks then. I believe my heart condition of Congestive Heart Failure is directly related to being so grossly overweight. We will see what that all looks like after losing another 70 to 75 pound.

As for exercise, I have very little, other tan walking in the house, but I am going to gradually fit some small things back into my daily routine a little at a time. I won't over do it. I was built like a wedge in the 1980's and my shirts were all taken in and tapered to fit my muscular body. That's long gone, but my muscles are still there, just haven't been used for many years.

Thank you all for your reply's, I sincerely appreciate your straight forward raw reply's. That's what I wanted. Thanks everyone.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think that the "treat every day" mentality is a mistake, because it sets up the association that food that tastes good is a reward. I have worked hard to *break* that association. Do I ever have chocolate, cookies, cake, etc.? Yes. Do I specifically eat these things to reward myself for making healthier choices the rest of the time? Absolutely not.
  • Ruenda
    Options
    I love sweets, cakes, ice cream and chocolate. I always joked that I did not have a sweet tooth but rather sweet teeth. There was a point in my life where I would eat a chocolate bar / chocolate slab everyday. It has taken some serious dedication and help from friends, and my partner, to get where I am today. After a doctors visit, I was told to reduce my sugar intake if I did not want to become diabetic.

What helped me was to cut sugar out completely for a week. This included sugar in my cereal, drinks, sweets, certain fruits, etc. It was not easy. I have since enjoyed sugar free dark chocolate (1 block per night after dinner) and occasionally I 'treat' myself to fruit that is higher in sugar, for example: Litchi or grapes. However, I don't have sugar in my tea / coffee or cereal and make sure that I stick to my allocated amount provided by MFP.

So to answer the question, I chose a healthier treat to have, and I enjoy it daily.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    The less sugar I eat, the less I want. I eat dark chocolate occasionally because it's low in sugar.

I eat ice cream at the ice cream store only, once per month in the winter and once per week in the summer. I eat it out so it's not something I'm tempted to eat more of. I eat birthday cake (my own) and pie at Thanksgiving and some dessert at Christmas or Christmas Eve dinner. That's basically it for traditional candy/cake/cookies.

At times, I have gone 6-8 months with no sugary snacks and for me, the less I eat, the better I do.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think that the "treat every day" mentality is a mistake, because it sets up the association that food that tastes good is a reward. I have worked hard to *break* that association. Do I ever have chocolate, cookies, cake, etc.? Yes. Do I specifically eat these things to reward myself for making healthier choices the rest of the time? Absolutely not.
    This is the mindset. You shouldn't think of cookies, cakes etc as treats. They are just food like everything else and in moderation can be part of a healthy lifestyle.