Do you allow yourself a treat everyday or less than that?

Options
1235»

Replies

• EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I eat "treats" every single day (I don't think of it as a treat, just another food to add to my diary). A day isn't complete without some chocolate!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Once I am in the mood for and it fits in my cals ... I will have it. If it means me going over then I exercise and still have it. I don't usually eat as much as I used to though
  • revolutionchick
    revolutionchick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love sweets, cakes, ice cream and chocolate. I always joked that I did not have a sweet tooth but rather sweet teeth. There was a point in my life where I would eat a chocolate bar / chocolate slab everyday. It has taken some serious dedication and help from friends, and my partner, to get where I am today. After a doctors visit, I was told to reduce my sugar intake if I did not want to become diabetic.

What helped me was to cut sugar out completely for a week. This included sugar in my cereal, drinks, sweets, certain fruits, etc. It was not easy. I have since enjoyed sugar free dark chocolate (1 block per night after dinner) and occasionally I 'treat' myself to fruit that is higher in sugar, for example: Litchi or grapes. However, I don't have sugar in my tea / coffee or cereal and make sure that I stick to my allocated amount provided by MFP.

So to answer the question, I chose a healthier treat to have, and I enjoy it daily.

Great job! I know how hard it is to cut out sugar. You made a great decision by taking action now as your doctor advised. I really believe there is such a thing as sugar addiction. I notice I don't crave it like I used to, mostly because I was eating it out of habit or because I was bored. I'd have to have a treat while watching tv at night. Now I may do that occassionally, but it is not every night.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For all you moderation preachers..............having a treat everyday is not moderation.

Lolwut?
    I don't remember the task of defining moderation being yours...*scratches head*
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure, boozing now
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I get that for a lot of people daily treats really work for them and makes dieting/living worthwhile but there's nothing wrong with the opposite and I wish people here would stop acting like there is.

I don't eat treats everyday or even necessarily every month. I'm not miserable or deprived. The food I eat everyday is delicious, full fat, flavorful food that is completely indulgent -- it's just not chock full of sugar/carbs. I save those foods for the holidays, special occasions and every once in awhile I'll have a hoagie or something just because. But it's not part of my everyday diet.

I've been eating this way for over a year and it's completely sustainable. I can maintain my weight loss without calorie counting, eat out just about anywhere, enjoy special occasions with my friends and family and the best part? I'm not starving all of the time. I'm completely full and satisfied after each and every meal even eating at a deficit. That's worth "depriving" myself of food I don't even think about or want on a daily basis.

I actually agree with a lot of this. When I stopped eating as many treats, I stopped needing as many treats and things that once didn't seem so sugary now seem pretty overwhelming. I don't think everyone has to eat like you do, but I understand your perspective. I tend to fall more along these lines in that I'm working on ways to reward myself that are not food-related. A lot of that has to do with my history of disordered eating though.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think that the "treat every day" mentality is a mistake, because it sets up the association that food that tastes good is a reward. I have worked hard to *break* that association. Do I ever have chocolate, cookies, cake, etc.? Yes. Do I specifically eat these things to reward myself for making healthier choices the rest of the time? Absolutely not.
    This is the mindset. You shouldn't think of cookies, cakes etc as treats. They are just food like everything else and in moderation can be part of a healthy lifestyle.

Why are things with ingredients that are not good for you part of a healthy lifestyle? I disagree.

I'm drinking a beer right now and I"m not trying to kid myself at all that it's part of a healthy lifestyle. It's something I do, but I'd be healthier if I ingested no chemicals or toxins from alcohol, drugs, cigs, or processed/junk foods. I'm not saying don't do it but I am saying let's be real about it.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My "treats" are usually not a single square of chocolate or a candy, so I try to allow myself to cheat for a day every now and then. It's usually about going out for dinner, having a pizza or some japanese all you can eat restaurant.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I personally can`t have a treat per day because one brings another one, then another one.... So I try to keep it for special occasions and not 2 days in a row. Anyway right now I care more about losing weight then eating treats, so I don`t really miss them.

Yep. That's me. I could never eat sweets, sugary stuff other than fruit everyday regardless of fitting it in my calories. Also just having other treats that are not that healthy in general. I wouldn't feel right and guilt would kick in. But I'm going for a eating healthy/lifestyle not just for weight loss but for life. And I would go overboard! lol